Apple Safari browser for Windows

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Apple Safari browser for Windows

Post by De Rigueur »

Anyone use this?
I thought I'd give it a try just to snub Microsoft.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I use Firefox to do that.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I'm on a Mac, and I like Firefox much, much more than Safari.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Can be d/loaded here BTW.
ImageImage
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

It blows. Don't bother.

It's like a Firefox version 0.6
How Apple can stand with hand on heart and say this is a V3.0 browser is beyond me.
Handy for checking web sites in, but that's about it.

Give them a solid year of PROPER development work on it, and it might be worth something, but for right now, Firefox totally owns it.

I've done some speed testing this morning with it too, and the claim it is twice as fast as IE is complete BS. It is \"much of a muchness\" with Firefox, and **maybe** a fraction faster than IE, but not noticeably.

Disclaimer: I'm sitting on the end of a 10Mb/s fibre-to-the-premises which connects straight to Internet backbone.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Mobius wrote: Disclaimer: I'm sitting on the end of a 10Mb/s fibre-to-the-premises which connects straight to Internet backbone.
you suck.

;)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Mobius wrote:Disclaimer: I'm sitting on the end of a 10Mb/s fibre-to-the-premises which connects straight to Internet backbone.
Is that all? :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Two things for Mobius:
  1. It's a beta. Specifically, it's a beta announced and released at a developer conference.
  2. They had to port the entire Cocoa AppKit as well as WebKit to Windows to do this. Do you realize how big of a deal this is? iTunes runs on Carbon, so there's no code-sharing between the two.
The fact that they did this means the old Windows NeXTstep environment never did die after all. :D

By the way, I see your 10 Mbps and raise you one OC-48 link straight to the VZ backbone. The connectors terminate in the next room over. ;)
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by De Rigueur »

Mobius wrote:Disclaimer: I'm sitting on the end of a 10Mb/s fibre-to-the-premises which connects straight to Internet backbone.
Well, I'm sitting at the end of a 41.2 Kbps dial-up connection. :D
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Heh, going from IE to Safari is like going from a Honda to a Hyundai. You're just going from bad to worse.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Top Wop wrote:Heh, going from IE to Safari is like going from a Honda to a Hyundai. You're just going from bad to worse.
ROFL...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Honestly, the more alternatives to IE the better. If anything, this gives the Firefox team another program to compete against. Especially now that Firefox has 25% of the browser market. :) (source)

Also, for those of you that want to browser your firefox cache then copy/paste this into your address bar:

about:cache?device=memory

Anything you want to keep? Right-click and \"download\".
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

This is good for Web development. Although it's really only the Internet Explorers that have to be taken into special consideration these days.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Tricord »

DCrazy wrote:By the way, I see your 10 Mbps and raise you one OC-48 link straight to the VZ backbone. The connectors terminate in the next room over. ;)
I can't beat that, but you're probably not paying for that yourself ;)
I do have a gigE connect to the Interoute backbone and negociating with Level3 for a fastE link. There are two other uplink to local peering points.

I guess that compensates the slowness IE supposedly has over IE and Safari, doesn't it? ;) (yes, IE6 user here).
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Sirius wrote:I use Firefox to do that.
X2
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Jason D. O'Grady wrote:While I agree with Tishgarten that Safari for Windows gives developers one less reason to justify buy a Mac, it’s a calculated risk that Apple’s taking in exchange for having more applications available for iPhone at launch. It seems pretty obvious to me that Safari for Windows is nothing more than an iPhone development tool.
from http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=601
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Tricord wrote:I can't beat that, but you're probably not paying for that yourself ;)
Strangely enough I can actually legitimately claim to be paying for it. $35,000 a year in tuition, plus a $3/month telecom fee (local phone + internet). The fact that the connection is subsidized by Verizon due to court order (they overcharged all of their business customers illegaly and to make restitution to us donated fiber and videoconferencing suites) is inconsequential to my e-penis. :P