I Learned Something Today

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I Learned Something Today

Post by Dakatsu »

Well, not really today, but more of over a few months.

I honestly can't do one of those cool story thingies, so I will put it as bluntly and as thoughtlessly as I can: The Republicans screw this country up, and The Democrats don't fix anything.

I honestly don't see any change so far since five months ago. The troops aren't out of Iraq, there is no solution to healthcare, immigration, nothing has changed. But, they were voted in on the principle of changing the government. Why doesn't this country have more than two parties with good chances?

I guess this isn't really a debate but more of a rant... either way, any comments?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

The system is no longer functioning as it was intended. Republicans and Democrats are both trying to get away with as much as they can. They only see the war in Iraq as a way to increase their political leverage. If they actually cared, they'd do something about it.

Four thousand people every year die from illegible drug prescriptions in the United States. Where's the outrage about that?? Why aren't the Democrats raging about \"stopping the death toll?\" Because it doesn't fit their agenda at the moment.

I'm personally conservative, but I'll throw this out for everybody who lives in the U.S. If you're waiting for an overpaid politician (who writes their own payraises, mind you) to truly represent you, you're wasting your time. Their job is to stay in office. The system is broken, people. If you're waiting for the government to \"save the country\" you're an idiot, no matter *WHO* is in office. Get off your behind and get it done yourself.

Heck, here in New Orleans, we can't get rid of bad politicians no matter how hard we try. You would think it'd be easy... but when a huge chunk of the population is reliant on the government for a living, they're not going to vote in anybody who would endanger that, regardless of the fact that the city can't financially support it any more.

Oh geez, when did I get on a soapbox? Sorry... :roll:
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Did you ever hear of the term Populism?
Now, did you ever hear it in a conversation about a recent US government?
My guess is 'no'.

Oh, and the Democrat Party is just the Republican Party in a different guise.

*/me laughs at you behind the safety of a proper election system and governments*
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Republicrat. Two puppets, one puppetmaster. Their goal: your money.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I think that's the only thing left and right wingers can agree on... politicians suck!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

We are trapped in a 2-party system, the very thing George Washington warned us about 200 years ago, and now look whats happening. We need to quit this retarded party mentality altogether and vote in independence.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Testiculese wrote:Republicrat. Two puppets, one puppetmaster. Their goal: your money.
this would be fine if it wasn't that Republicans outright lie about it, try to tell you they are for SMALLER government and LESS spending.

sometimes it makes me "grr" and othertimes it makes me "lol"
:D
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

The Republicans screw this country up, and The Democrats don't fix anything.
Yeah I think you got that about right.

Oh....Do you have a problem with that?
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Actually, it's impossible to fix anything if we don't work together. And since not enough people care enough to help each other out, I'll count on Jesus to return and fix everything, thank you very much. ^_~
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

In my opinion, the thing that would most be most likely to fix your problem is if there's so little voter turnout that most of the votes are by people who are actually dedicated to having the better government, so that the 2-way thing stops.
Although there's also the small chance that one of the parties will sacrifice their power for a better country, but I honestly doubt that will happen in America; not since your governments started trying to blame problems on foeign countries since WW2. (support you local anti-anti-terrorism party today!)
Top Wop wrote:We are trapped in a 2-party system, the very thing George Washington warned us about 200 years ago,
Hmm...?
Interesting. I don't suppose you have a quote handy, do you?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im having a hard time finding a place that translates and articulated what Washington said, but he was most famous for saying so in his Farewell Address, He starts to talk about it at point 15. Here is a layman's translation of that speech.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Fear not my Christian brothers, Jesus will come and smite the infidels in the prophesized holy war. Jesus is great!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

roid, man, watch the trolling.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Convert my friend! Or Jesus will smite non-believers like you when he comes back and saves us all.

I also count on Jesus to return and fix everything. Why do you persecute me but not Burlyman?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

roid wrote:Why do you persecute me but not Burlyman?
Burlyman, while not particularly on-topic, didn't go out of his way to be disrespectful. You did. You're trolling, and you've been around long enough to know that's not cool.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I agree with Lothar; you should stop that, Roid! Everyone already knows that Jesus isn't even going to go anywhere near America!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Actually, for the very first time in my life, there is a TINY chance I might vote republican. BUT, it's ONLY because there is a TINY (very tiny) chance that Ron Paul might win the republican nomination.

Ron Paul has been entirely consistent in his opposition to the Iraq war.
Ron Paul wants to abolish the income tax.
Ron Paul has NEVER voted for a tax increase and has voted against EVERY salary increase for Congress.

Ron Paul is so Libertarian that he ran for President as a Libertarian in 1988.

So, in the unlikely (but not impossible) circumstance that Ron gets the republican nomination, you actually WILL have a choice in the next election when voting for the major two parties. Otherwise, you will have to vote for a 3rd party candidate because all of the rest of the Republican and Democrat candidates are pretty much the same. They want bigger, stronger government. They may differ on exactly which of your rights they want the government to take away from you, and on where they want the government to spend trillions of dollars, but the end result is still going to be the same. Bigger government and less freedom.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ron Paul has zero chance at getting the nod. For which I'm glad. I like him as a Congressman, but not as President.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ron Paul will go the way of Kennedy if he tries to mess with the income tax fraud.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Lothar wrote:Ron Paul has zero chance at getting the nod.
You'll note, I DID emphasize the TINY part. I'm not willing to say zero, but I will certainly admit that it's very CLOSE to zero. Miracles do happen. :)
Testiculese wrote:Ron Paul will go the way of Kennedy if he tries to mess with the income tax fraud.
QUITE likely. BUT, it's still worth trying. Got to try and do right, even if it's unlikely to succeed.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kilarin wrote:Miracles do happen. :)
Not in the republican party they don't. :P