Google Maps: Routes are now reroutable.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Google Maps: Routes are now reroutable.

Post by Top Wop »

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32695/118/

VERY handy considering... well.. considering many things. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Would have been handy this last weekend when we ran into a bridge out under construction in the route on our google map...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I discovered this Sunday evening... was mapping a route, and I was like \"why does it have me going left here instead of right?\" I clicked to move the map, and ended up grabbing hold of the route itself.

I was like \"oh hells yeah\" and proceeded to fix the crappy route it gave me.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it won't let me go down to the local corner store VIA MEXICO CITY

:(
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I discovered that last May when I was verifying a route I needed to take. Discovered it when I had to type in the same address again to write down a long weird street name and the route was completely changed and 5 minutes longer!

Based on that experience, I'd say the rerouting part of mapquest is a bit unnecessary... but great if you need to bypass an accident or something. I suggest that if you're gonna use Mapquest and you're going to be in an unfamiliar area, reroute until you get to the same route as the first try. Just to get as many options possible:P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

yeah the bus rout in Austin Texas have recently been added to the map. And i believe that it's a complete map of every stop.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Re:

Post by Genghis »

I love this feature, and it may finally convert me to Google maps, giving up my beloved Mapquest. Other than that I've always liked Mapquest's maps much better. But both sites often give you such bad routes or simply routes you want to modify for other reasons, and this feature addresses that. I figure that making the algorithm fast enough to interact with the user's pointer in real time was quite a feat.
Kiran wrote:I discovered that last May when I was verifying a route I needed to take. Discovered it when I had to type in the same address again to write down a long weird street name and the route was completely changed and 5 minutes longer!

Based on that experience, I'd say the rerouting part of mapquest is a bit unnecessary... but great if you need to bypass an accident or something. I suggest that if you're gonna use Mapquest and you're going to be in an unfamiliar area, reroute until you get to the same route as the first try. Just to get as many options possible:P
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Last I checked mapquest didn't have this feature.
Isaac wrote:yeah the bus rout in Austin Texas have recently been added to the map. And i believe that it's a complete map of every stop.
Again, what are you talking about?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

long link fixed by Lothar. Isaac, click \"edit\" to see how I did it.
this link i think will show you a location with every single bus stop on it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Issac, dress your links ya goof!

Code: Select all

[url=http://longassurl.here]click me[/url]
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Isaac wrote:long link fixed by Lothar. Isaac, click "edit" to see how I did it.
this link i think will show you a location with every single bus stop on it.
I don't have super powers! You can't possibly expect that from us!! :P
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

This feature makes it super easy to find nice, winding roads to go cruising on, especially in an area you arent familiar with. I rode my motorcycle to a gas station an hour from here and back on some very nice roads, all plotted out on Google maps, printed out, and taped to my gas tank :D
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Genghis wrote:I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Last I checked mapquest didn't have this feature.
Oops my bad. Wasn't really reading the title of this thread. Don't know what I was thinking at the time :?

But yah Mapquest does have the feature of using different routes for a destination.