Descent missions - how do you like 'em cooked?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

Difficulty level?

Easy does it - the original campaigns were too much work for me!
8%
About the same as the original D1/D2 campaigns.
12%
A bit harder than the original sets - Vertigo was about right!
12%
Somewhat tougher than Vertigo but not too crazy - I play for fun, and not the masochistic kind! (Mandrill, Entropy)
24%
Hard. I like a challenge. (AF, Lost Levels)
40%
Stupid. If I can beat it within the first ten tries without running out of lives, it just doesn't cut it. (Crazy Co-op)
4%

Total votes: 25
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Descent missions - how do you like 'em cooked?

Post by Sirius »

Note I'm talking about actual balancing, not just Trainee through Insane difficulty settings.

Feel free to explain your choices. Hell, give examples if you must - although I've already listed a few.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Hard. Lost Levels was great.

Ironblade's another good one, though it's a touch easier and affected by the D1 balancing.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I like to balance like this. If, on Trainee, I die once, maybe twice, I'm golden. Others can scale up from there. If you get a game over or barely scrape by on Trainee, chances are you're doing something wrong.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I like them as hard as Boiling Point. :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm, I forgot to place that one. That was probably above LL in difficulty though, not that I remember LL *very* well any more.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've never completed any of the official campaigns on any difficulty level, and I keep trying (on trainee. Any time I try anything higher I'm completely slaughtered within the first few rooms.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Sirius wrote:Hm, I forgot to place that one. That was probably above LL in difficulty though, not that I remember LL *very* well any more.
Actually Boiling Point is not that hard at all (it's not easy, but not impossibly hard to beat. I mean, I can beat it, and I am by far not the greatest Descent player around). But you need to find out how to play each level - otherwise you will find it almost impossible to beat.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

If you can not play the level on all versions of descent it should not even be mentioned here.

This is the OldSkool Forum Level Must be playable on DescentR.exe or DESCENT2.exe

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Randor244 »

I like very hard levels - where you will have to try MANY times over. It really gives you a great feeling of satisfaction after completing it.
GUIDEBOT RULES!