Being a mod sux

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Being a mod sux

Post by Isaac »

So im a mod on an online store that my company owns.... bleh. I've never wanted to mod any thing, but it's not hard work. Just so many idiots that basically say, \"I'm too lazy to learn something new. Do it for me.\" (mostly to size an image) And when you teach them via email, they complain and say something like,\"well can't you just do that for me?\" Teaching them takes longer since it takes a few email usually...
And people get so frustrated when they break the rules and I have to take something down.

I'm the first mod that actually reads what people are posting, so i get a lot of shocked people when i pull something down.

I dont even get paid extra for this lame job.
mod=online janitor
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Any service job makes you deal with the garbage. You have to realize that the people you are dealing with are of average intelligence. They are perma-8th graders and you have to give them the intellectual and emotional handicap.

I'm a mod on a programming forum, so only maybe 25% are idiots. They all say the same thing you get: \"I need to do [long tedious project can someone explain to me in detail how to do this then write detailed code for me?\" Lazy, stupid assholes. Fortunately, though, only 25%. I say \"Sure! $75 per hour and I'll do whatever you want.\"
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Well, why not make big sticky threads explaining how to do all that, and then when someone doesn't know something, just (delete the post, if you need to, and) post a link to the certain thread?

Edit: And a link to the forum? I wanna see how good the guys on that forum really are at obeying the rules.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hey, at least online you can take a break from it, log off and do something else. When you do support for people in real life, there is no escape.

Also if you learn how to manage the moderator control panel and save a few automatic responses you can deal with repeat questions really quickly, maintaining a well thought out FAQ thread somewhere can also save a lot of time and effort.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

What helps the most, is when it's not just the mods doing the work... having a set of dedicated forum-goers (like here) who can answer all kinds of questions and help squash ridiculous threads before they start makes all the difference.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ugh. I had to do on-site computer support to the DMV Photo License Centers. Holy hell that was a catastrophe. I installed their brand new computer camera systems all over my county. They were loaded with OS/2. Haha. Not Funny. The employees were all hired on some special disabilities program for those at 75 IQ. Seriously Not Funny. I forget the organization. It took 4 months to train them on a 6-7 step process. I was called for onsite service constantly, as they broke things like...the license printer. Finally smoothed out after 6 months, and it was only a few centers a day. To make it worse, the average public was on the other side of the counter, and they weren't much better. I'm so glad I moved from there right to...

Compaq phone technical support! Once you hit bottom and start digging, this is what you find after a few feet. I got the strangest calls. From the deepest South too, oh man it was scary. Actually, Compaq is the reason I have become so cynical. I've met the bottom of the barrel on that phone, and I'll never see sunshine again.
Actually, Compaq was kinda useful, I got hired for Win95 support when 95 first came out, so I learned the OS..really quick..It was the reason for my prompt escape (after a year, pfft) to another company to do corporate desktop and server support. It was great because all the users were hot mom secretaries that had to dress in $300 suit-skirts. Well most of them, anyway. They loved me 'cause I got their taskbar back when they accidently dragged it to 1px high.

Nowadays I do programming and I don't see anyone. \"Oh, Dave, I didn't know you were here.\" Exactly! :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i mod several forums and admin a couple..... i enjoy the work just for the hell of it
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

My normal job is phone/email tech support, generate excel reports, and graphic art. <- i do all every day and i think it's fun work.

Just the mod junk for the online store is so stupid. None has real problems. It's all \"do it for me. you're part of the website and therefore are some kind of machine i can demand things at.\" <- this isn't tech support. It's people who either want you to do it for them, or try to get away withs stuff. One or the other.
It's just sloths and scammers. Both of which are idiots.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Teach a man to fish...
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

what if the man doesn't want to know what a fish is? Just wants to be fed?.

I blame it on canned food.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, I\"m a mod on sectorgame.com for the past.....4+ months, I've had to do 0 in modding, but that's mostly because of the low traffic and low idiot level... I hope I\"m not making you jealous...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

TIGERassault wrote:Well, why not make big sticky threads explaining how to do all that, and then when someone doesn't know something, just (delete the post, if you need to, and) post a link to the certain thread?
(flamebait engage) Diedel tried that, it didn't work very well. :)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

This is fun: My company only dose mod work. To post instructions would apparently fall under ANOTHER type of job... all the web design work for that site is done by a third party company. wtf is that bull?

So i have to fill out a request to make a change... ugh...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

TIGERassault wrote:Well, why not make big sticky threads explaining how to do all that, and then when someone doesn't know something, just (delete the post, if you need to, and) post a link to the certain thread?

Edit: And a link to the forum? I wanna see how good the guys on that forum really are at obeying the rules.
I tried that, on this forum, and oh, how people loved me for that (mostly other mods here, that is).

So if you want people to call you a jerk for taking hours and hours to point them to the right sources and giving them the proper answers in advance, and then have the impertinence to just tell them where to go and close their totally superfluous "how do I this and that" thread you have seen posted dozens of times before by people of similar attitude, be assured that you will get really nice comments of those people who perfectly know what good behaviour should be (not yours, as you apparently do not care at all about other people's feelings, since you refused to write the same stuff again you have already posted - shame on you!). Conclusion: It's alright to be an idiot, but do not even think about telling people what they are really up to.

Diedel, ex-mod on this forum, mobbed out of it by the best humanity has to offer here. Well, I have to say that I don't miss the job and now can kick idiot butts on SF.net whenever required (not that it would be required all that often).
Sirius wrote:
(flamebait engage) Diedel tried that, it didn't work very well. :)
Mainly because trying to make people do their work instead of burdening you with doing it just doesn't work with the kind of people who tend to demand such a thing from you. And the cream of mankind assembled here, looking for an opportunity to improve the world (as they see it).

I just still haven't understood why these fine gentlemen didn't take it on themselves to display the nobility of their characters by kindly helping these parasites - oops, pardon - poor helpless little Descent novices along with their questions, given all the spare time they had to monitor and supervise my infamous and evil activities regarding support for certain projects here.

Hm, I think they probably weren't very much into investing too much good effort here, busy as they were to prove to themselves how much more valuable members of society they are.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Diedel wrote:I tried that, on this forum...
Your replacement continued the same approach. It's a good method.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Lothar wrote:
Diedel wrote:I tried that, on this forum...
Your replacement continued the same approach. It's a good method.
There is no replacement for me.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I feel so loved... :cry: :lol:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Somehow I found this highly appropriate. :lol:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

ok flame aside. I keep hearing about Diedel being such a flamer on forums, and i haven't seen him do more than say, \"an airplane can't take off on a tread mill.\" I mean really....
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Isaac wrote:ok flame aside. I keep hearing about Diedel being such a flamer on forums, and i haven't seen him do more than say, "an airplane can't take off on a tread mill." I mean really....
Lets not go through that again. If you really want to know, run a search. The flame wars really aren't hard to find.

And for the record, the drama pic was aimed at you Issac. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Being a mod sux

Post by roid »

Hey Issac, if people complain send them a message claiming that you are a bot setup to autodelete, autoedit, and autoban.
Respond to all personal querys with \"your message appears to be a query, here is a link to the FAQ\"

:)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Being a mod sux

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:Hey Issac, if people complain send them a message claiming that you are a bot setup to autodelete, autoedit, and autoban.
Respond to all personal querys with "your message appears to be a query, here is a link to the FAQ"

:)
Im thinking of just making a bunch of tutorials that cover common noob problems like: How to make a pic smaller! How to add and del your items!
MD-2389 wrote:
And for the record, the drama pic was aimed at you Issac. ;)
Image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:I feel so loved... :cry: :lol:
There is no replacement for you either. ;)

Isaac,

regarding any flaming on this forum, MD-2389 is completely innocent. Trust me. (Or maybe not, on this one).
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Diedel wrote:
Aus-RED-5 wrote:I feel so loved... :cry: :lol:
There is no replacement for you either. ;)

Isaac,

regarding any flaming on this forum, MD-2389 is completely innocent. Trust me. (Or maybe not, on this one).
FLAME ON!!!!
But I have poof that MD-2389 is the cause of all internet period: spam, drugs, torrents, and stem cell ping pong!

edit:
So saying you hate stuff comes off as dramatic?

Ok so from now on everytime i say i hate something i'll counter with something i like.

I like pizza. IT's good how the olive oil runs off the side when you take a bite. .