\"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

who are these \"greats\" anyways? ;-P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

ack! dont fool yourself, maybe a dozen or less players from 2000 are still playing. Chalk that up to poor lvl selection, and an even smaller pool of skill--which leads to a vortex of boredom as you waste away hours with little or no competition.

Worse yet, team play has all but disappeared, which is what kept many playing long after they were tired of anarchy games.

Ferno, perhaps we should sticky this thread :p
Fighting villains is what I do!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I know not of any good players from that era that are still playing currently.

The only good players left are the ones in kali, (Warlord, Jediluke, Daz, DJCJR) I would not consider anyone in d3 at their level right now.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

most folks on Kali don't play descent anymore. Even fewer D3. Some of us do, but I gave up a couple years back. While I enjoy playing, I'm not that good. Never have been. Got tired of getting MD'd evertime I poked my head around a corner.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Stickied per request, though in the future you shouldn't put quote marks in the subject as the entire thing gets stripped out when you go to edit the post.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Isn't this the oldest thread on the DBB? If it is stickied then we won't be able to bump it every 2 years... :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

7 years ago I had the habit of using quotes in my subject lines, but I've since seen the error of my ways. :D

Hopefully 2 years from now we'll be discussing the current greats of Core Decision! I think we'll see a great influx of Descent talent playing CD as soon as a playable demo is out...if CD is good, the multiplayer arena should be insanely good.

RM
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

What a beaqutiful thread, to see so many old skoolers here! This is a good thread to tell all you old farts about the Pyro-GX models that maybe for sale soon!

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=12239

Ok shoot me for spamming this thread but this is something that will warm your hearts for more Descent!

KB
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Behemoth - another thing that kind of intrigues me - has said level of competition among D1/2 players on Kali improved or declined in recent years? It isn't very easy for me to judge, considering I never played against any of them much back at the height of IDL and the like, but someone might have a better answer.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Sirius wrote:Behemoth - another thing that kind of intrigues me - has said level of competition among D1/2 players on Kali improved or declined in recent years? It isn't very easy for me to judge, considering I never played against any of them much back at the height of IDL and the like, but someone might have a better answer.
I wouldn't really say any better or worse considering 95% of the kali players today have been playing since the beginning.

What i meant to say was there is still some players that will take anyone to town.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Behemoth wrote:snip...
What i meant to say was there is still some players that will take anyone to town.
I need a ride please! I can always take the subway! ;P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Subway's are for rats :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I became a tunnel rat right after D1 multiplyer hooked me. These big open levels remind me of flight similators. The mine walls were good for collateral damage on your opponent an art forgotten these days I am afriad.

Yes indeed and ol'skooler I be!
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

will CD have a form of fusion?
I think the use of fusion and the MD are what
separated the truly \"great\" players.

Hopefully CD will have something similar.

RM
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Eh... the MD didn't really require that much skill, being a point-and-shoot weapon... truth be told in D3 the Fusion didn't either (they are staple for a reason). In D1 the guys who were awesome with the Fusion did have to be pretty good to get shots to land at all; however that's really just a side-effect of all the other things you have to learn to do that, rather than making you good by itself.

However, Fusion is also kind of a signature of Descent, and knowing the angle the CD devs are taking I think it's safe to bet CD will have something similar. I have no idea whether it'll have anything like MD, but then you didn't ask that question. :)
CajunAce
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I'm Still Around

Post by CajunAce »

Hi all,

I'm still around occasionally. Lately, I've been playing D2 single-player on my old Win-95 machine with a Voodoo 2 card. Haven't tried Kali in a while. Is anyone playing D2 there these days? I always liked getting a good coop game going (on Insane, of course!)

CajunAce
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: I'm Still Around

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

CajunAce wrote:Haven't tried Kali in a while. Is anyone playing D2 there these days?
Almost everyday.

Just ask in chat and surely someone will play. ;)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: I'm Still Around

Post by KoolBear »

CajunAce wrote:Hi all,

I'm still around occasionally. ....

CajunAce
OMG! The original Ask Ace! Hey bro how have you been? Still keeping an eye on the weather? ;)

I've shared a few emails with olPFunk lately too!

Darn nice to see you Chris!

KB
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Cajun, get back on kali, you old git! :P

I haven't played D2 co-op in.. forever. and the last game was with you.
Karash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Karash »

Good to see some old friends in this thread...even if it is 7 years old :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Karash, it's damn good to see you too, I was playing some SRP a few weeks ago. What a blast!

KB
Karash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Karash »

I still lurk around from time to time...definately miss the game.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Re:

Post by Sup »

Karash wrote:I still lurk around from time to time...definately miss the game.
Cool, so do I :twisted: :P 8) :D :D :) :!:

Good times! Miss the Pyro show too dude

Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Re:

Post by Sup »

Tyranny wrote:1. Thundercat is NOT Xciter.

2. Thundercat is NOT Tomcatt.
Don't know how this slipped by, sorry I missed it 3 years ago but ..

Thundercat is definitely Xciter and vice versa

I know, they were both r/l friends of mine at the time

Kyle knows. I don't know why people are so easily fooled

Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Behemoth wrote:
Sirius wrote:Behemoth - another thing that kind of intrigues me - has said level of competition among D1/2 players on Kali improved or declined in recent years? It isn't very easy for me to judge, considering I never played against any of them much back at the height of IDL and the like, but someone might have a better answer.
I wouldn't really say any better or worse considering 95% of the kali players today have been playing since the beginning.

The skill level in Kali has gone down IMO. When "The Greats" Were playing... the people you listed as being the best now would be getting beat horribly... I've been there first hand to see it. Even me barely playing anymore at all hold my own against most of the people in Kali these days. That would not be the case circa '97/'98. Before d3 even came out... Alot of the good people left even came out due to health issues or other circumstances.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

* left before d3 came out. It was more of a mind game back in the day. I don't play enough d3 to say anything about it... I will start though.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well... D3 can probably support that, but the sorts of games I've seen around aren't very conducive to a mental component.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Exactly... I used to love(and hate) Being stalked by someone across a level... Then them cutting me off at a pass or just straight up hearing an afternburner for a second as a smart missle landing directly in front of me... Stupid ass Vlider... Those where the fun days...
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

As I've said before - Descenters never die, they just moth into new challenges. ;p

We're all still around, even if we go off and do other things from time to time. This community will always be a home for me like no other. It's kinda like Cheers. It's always good to return to a place where everybody knows your name.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Strife wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

The skill level in Kali has gone down IMO. When "The Greats" Were playing... the people you listed as being the best now would be getting beat horribly... I've been there first hand to see it. Even me barely playing anymore at all hold my own against most of the people in Kali these days. That would not be the case circa '97/'98. Before d3 even came out... Alot of the good people left even came out due to health issues or other circumstances.
I would agree with you on that note, But i was meerly comparing the general d1 skill level vs d3 level, Most of the d3 players playing now have not been playing long.
The majority of the people playing d1 on kali have been playing for quite some time, Correct?
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Behemoth wrote:
Strife wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

I would agree with you on that note, But i was meerly comparing the general d1 skill level vs d3 level, Most of the d3 players playing now have not been playing long.
The majority of the people playing d1 on kali have been playing for quite some time, Correct?

Yeah the people left have been playing for a while... But even the people that have been playing a while and are still in Kali are sub-par minus maybe 2 players... who aren't nearly as good as they were during descents prime... I really miss the good old clan wars back in the day... people getting heated because some punk would run their mouth... ENOUGH CLAN MEMBERS FROM BOTH TEAMS on at all times were the war would happen right then and there... and for the Record.... DMC was the best clan :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by ReadyMan »

and for the Record.... DMC was the best clan :P
Bah! That's what BoTS said before the ANTs decimated them.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by ReadyMan »

..and from July 2006 we have this beauty:
Xamindar wrote:So, who's gonna bump it in 2008 when we are all playing Core Decision?
HEH!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Money! »

Foil wrote:There aren't as many cheaters around as I thought there were when I first got into multiplayer about a year and a half ago. I was a complete multiplayer n00b, so I had quite a few "They must be hacking! Nobody can be that good!" moments. Since then, I've found that in most cases, those players were really just that skilled/experienced.
QFT! I have had the same experience
Behemoth wrote:
aaronb wrote:
Foil wrote:There aren't as many cheaters around as I thought there were when I first got into multiplayer about a year and a half ago. I was a complete multiplayer n00b, so I had quite a few "They must be hacking! Nobody can be that good!" moments. Since then, I've found that in most cases, those players were really just that skilled/experienced.
Getting accused of cheating is one of the greatest compliments ever.
Actually, It can be quite annoying and usually makes players not want to play.
And QFT again. Getting called a cheater once is nice. But if you're like behemoth and Zero! and others who are nagged in every game, it can be quite discouraging.

Nice thread btw guys.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Money! wrote:
QFT! I have had the same experience
Behemoth wrote:
aaronb wrote:
Getting accused of cheating is one of the greatest compliments ever.
Actually, It can be quite annoying and usually makes players not want to play.
And QFT again. Getting called a cheater once is nice. But if you're like behemoth and Zero! and others who are nagged in every game, it can be quite discouraging.

Nice thread btw guys.
Or being banned from popular servers.

Descent has really dwindled down. Before I had taken a break for a few years, 'teams' were almost completely dissipated.

I've never played on kali - though I haven't successfully gotten D2 or D1 to run on any of my computers, for ages.
Do the kali players ever come in Descent3, or is it somewhat a different community?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Djcjr1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Djcjr1 »

Strife wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

Aye, I'd say the average skill level has gone down. This has been mulled over time and time again by the "greats" of the past and the newer crop that rose over the past 5-6 years. You can make a case for either side.

Even though I was around during Descent 1 and 2's prime (97-99), I hardly ever played any 1 on 1 games against the people who were believed to be the best of those days. If I did play against them, it was usually in a minerva3 game with 7 other people. Back then, I just played to have fun. Oddly enough, after playing a bunch of IDL matches or competitive 1 on 1s over the past few years, I've gone back to the way I was when I first started; playing to have fun.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'd say it is the good players of today are still good, just there are a lot fewer of them. Sure I have played against players in the past who were nothing short of monsters and some of them I don't think have ever been topped. But that isn't to say that all of the players today are bad.

Since I have dropped into a few games this weekend and seen a bit of the population I'd say the average skill level has dropped a couple notches, perhaps just because fewer players are out there. The most notable change from the past is the ratio of players I have seen that are for lack of a better word: horrible. In the past you would see a pilot that just couldn't fly at all from time to time, but never as many as I have seen in just a couple games. There are also a lot of players that rarely use sliding or chording, sometimes they don't use any at all. Its like they are trying to play this game like it is any garden variety ground pounder and not even trying to learn or do anything new.

There are also a bunch of players that seem to be easily thrown off by slight changes in weapons, stupid old tricks, or are abysmally weak if they don't have one of the big primaries.

It just seems there are a lot of players that seem like it is really easy to twist their arms once you know their main gimmick which is usually worn right on their shoulder.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

A little over a week ago, I was considering the fact that this thread hadn't been updated in a year... and was wondering when the next time would be for someone to bump it.

1v1 me sometime krom, teach me your ways.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Too much Burning Indika, Veins, Skybox, Adend and Subway Dancer - they are soft. They do not have any tricks or the level, where to chuck, where to cherry pick, is there a MD or Fusion in this level, and why cant they find any 4Packs to boat.... so they run around aimlessly lost and in tears

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.