Problem with SATA drive

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Problem with SATA drive

Post by De Rigueur »

I got a new seagate sata hard drive and connected it, but it doesn't seem to be spinning (and it's not being detected in bios). Tried 2 power cables and 2 data cables.

Is it a bad drive or am I missing something?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd say it's bad drive. You're sure the power cables are connected properly? You have any other SATA devices that you know works and you can use those? You've probably already tried but it's worth a shot.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

SATA drives (at least mine) don't spin up till they get a pulse over the data cable. Make sure the SATA power cable is properly connected, as is the data cable, and the controller is enabled in BIOS if it is the non native variety. If your board has multiple ports, including ports directly off the south bridge, try plugging the drive into a different port. Otherwise it is probably a bad drive.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I used a volt meter to see that power is getting to the drive. Tried plugging the data cable into different sata ports on the board. Used the 'detect' function on all the sata slots in the bios. The drive's still not spinning. I guess it's doa.
oldman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by oldman »

One thing, did you have a sata drive before you bought this new one? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that your sata ports might be bad. With hot weather and thunderstorms abounding current surges on the power lines increase this time of year. Sometimes wounded electronics can continue to work after a damaging event leaving one to wonder why did it die in the first place? This is all academic of course without more info. You could be talking about a brand spanking new system... :)
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

It could be that all my sata connections are bad. I don't have another sata device or sata capable machine so I can't test that theory.
oldman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by oldman »

One last thing, probably more for those that don't know than you as the issue is probably history by now. Their is a device called a sata dongle. It allows you to plug an IDE drive into a sata port. I'd recommend this as a quick troubleshooting device because you can hook your cd drive to it and test your sata port. They run $20-$25 last one I bought.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually, they're as cheap as $11 now.

Click here and scroll down a little.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

one side question: Do sata use Primary/Slave jumper configs like IDE drives? I've never use a sata drv and i's curious. ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Duper wrote:one side question: Do sata use Primary/Slave jumper configs like IDE drives? I've never use a sata drv and i's curious. ;)
The only jumpers they have is to cap them at SATA 150 or not. The way they work is one drive to an interface.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

De Rigueur wrote:It could be that all my sata connections are bad. I don't have another sata device or sata capable machine so I can't test that theory.
Make sure the ports are turned on in BIOS. Also some mobos designate certain SATA ports for RAID configs make sure it's in the standalone SATA connectors.

You can also download Seatools from Seagate and boot to a DOS like utility and test the drive. Software Here.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

MD-2389 wrote:Actually, they're as cheap as $11 now.

Click here and scroll down a little.
I have a couple of these and they work flawlessly even hot plugging into an eSATA port. (You need a cable adapter to plug them into an eSATA port though.)
oldman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by oldman »

Does anyone remember if you have to have the IDE drive jumpered as a master? I don't think it hurts the drive but I have a vague inkling that \"cable select\" won't work. Anyone like to clarify :?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

for cable select you need a cable capable of cable select.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

All the IDE to SATA bridges I have require the drive to be set to master or they don't work. Won't cause any damage to the drive though.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

fwiw, I got the replacement drive today. It spins up and bios detects it.