Card models

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Card models

Post by Santrix »

hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted. I saw somebody had been making paper models from Quake meshes, and it gave me the idea to try making some from Descent. I was pretty excited to share it with all of you until I noticed somebody was making models out of wood. makes my paper models seem kind of stupid. anyway... these are both test models from paper and not thicker cardstock. Guide-bot is ready to make out of cardstock I think. the Class 1 drone definately isn't, but I'm share pictures of it anyhow.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Those are nice!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

But the Guide-Bot Owns you :p I like it better than the ships, easier to assemble.
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

oo, yeah I remember when you posted those Bubba. I also seem to remember back in the day somebody had made a Pyro-GX card model, but I can't seem to find that online anywhere. I can post both the patterns I've made if anybody is interested in them. But like I said, the class 1 drone is definitely not in a finished optimized state, and likely won't stay together well without some tape. it took me about 2 hours or so to optimize GB. the the first time I tried doing it I ended up with four parts that were like connected by a thread lol. I might start over and use the class 1 drone from D3 as a template, because believe it or not, the one in D3 is lower poly than the D1/D2 model. I'll also work on making a D3 GB, it won't take long, there's just one extra piece and some different textures. I think it might actually be easier to put together than the D2 version, but we'll see.
Aggressor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Aggressor »

That's my Guide bot in the picture? It looks kindly familliar. :) your drone is not bad. I just started the body. I'll have to make the shooters.
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

no, it's not yours, I made the model before I ever saw your models lol. but I'd imagine the geometry is pretty much the same. It never really occurred to me to try to make them out of wood, guess it should have wood lasts longer than paper lol. of course paper is just really thinly sliced wood isn't it?
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

the D3 guide bot didn't turn out to be easier at all. especially since D3 textures don't tile. anyhow, here's a picture of my test model
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

I've posted plans for the guide-bots on my deviant art site. http://gpsc.deviantart.com/ I also have some other Descent-inspired art on there, some of which I've shared with the community in the past. For the card models, I would recommend making all 4/5 parts separate form each other. What I mean is, the tabs the connect to the individual pieces, just seal them solid, and then glue the pieces together. it's much easier than trying to stick the tabs to the inside of each part, especially the D3 version.