Best Chain Letter Ever!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Best Chain Letter Ever!

Post by Dakatsu »

92% of teens have moved on to rap! if ur still one of the 8% that still listens to real music then copy and paste this comment into 1 other video box
remember rap:

R=Retards
A=Attempting
P=Poetry
:P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Some rap / hip-hop is actually quite good.

R=rhythm
A=and
P=poetry
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Minus points for Dakatsu for both saying that X type of music is absolute rubbish, and for forwarding a chain mail into a damn thread!
Foil wrote:Some rap / hip-hop is actually quite good.
Agreed.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

R=Retards
A=Attempting
P=Poetry

No rythem.... no poetry. You know... I made up my own rap when I was working in the produce department.... took me.... 20 minutes. :P

All you have to do, is rhyme a bunch of bad language about how big your pen1s is and how you gots da b1@tches... and yo, you killed some muthufugin pigs. :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i see this crap in children's sigs at deviantart.

there is rap that i enjoy so suck it.
i like me some missy elliot, i like me some busta rhymes.
i'm not exactly a connoisseur - but it's good.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:R=Retards
All you have to do, is rhyme a bunch of bad language about how big your pen1s is and how you gots da b1@tches... and yo, you killed some muthufugin pigs. :D
Stereotype much? There's lots of rap that doesn't follow the stereotypical thuggish lifestyle and degrading lyrics. Before opening your ignorant mouth, look a little harder next time before speaking. You might actually say something intelligent rather than having a herd mentality.

For the most part, I prefer R&B, but there are quite a few rap artists that I still listen to. But mainly old skool. A lot of it is actually pretty intelligently and creatively written. If it took only a simpleton to make a good song and make money, then a lot more people would be rich.
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh yeah and i totally fergot

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I don't like R&B or boy bands either.:D

Sorry, but I have listened to many MANY forms of rap. The most popular form of music where I live is rap. Many of my friends like rap and have forced me to listen to it. IMO, it's all garbage to me. I can't stand to listen to it as I always end up trying to poke my eardrums out with a pen. Only thing that I even liked that even remotely resembles rap is: Scatman :D
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

So can we have examples of what is supposed to be good rap. I listen to it quite a lot and have attended concerts from foreign artists because my 11 year old is well into it. I'm bored sh1tless after 10 minuets.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Flabby and Vessenjah, you both have missed my point. Whether it's \"good\" or \"bad\" depends entirely upon the listener. What I consider good may not exactly tickle your fancy. There are some of older artists like Dre that I tend to listen to, and there are current artists that can get me hyped.

One of my all time favorites would be Paperboy's \"Ditty\".

But my point is this. Not all rap consists of talking about pen!ses and b!tches which is the point that I was bringing up. Nor is everyone in the rap industry a \"Retard\".

I may not like heavy metal, and there may be some artists in that genre that may not be the ideal role models, but that's not going to make me speak out about the genre in general and call everyone involved in it retards, violent, or crazy, etc..

You like what you like, and you don't like what you don't like. But just because we may disagree with one of more people in a particular group doesn't mean that the group as a whole are retarded degenerates.
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

I've seen this message. I'm not a huge fan of rap and hip-hop but to completely write the genre off as retard music strikes me as extremely ignorant.

I thought this song was pretty good.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I wasn't slagging Rap off at all, i just meant for me, it's totally monotonous...and maybe there are forms of it that i've not heard of.

I remember my father telling me my choice of music was crap when i was a kid, i'd never do that to my son....however much it pains me to listen to it. ;-)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Yes, I think part of the problem here is confusing "rap" in general with "gangsta rap".

In general, gangsta rap is bad, as in evil. ordinary rap is bad as in, it just ain't very good. :)

Honestly though, I've actually heard a few rap songs that I found interesting. They have been few and far between. But I'm the wrong person to ask since my listening style is on the other end of the spectrum.
Admiral Thrawn wrote:Whether it's "good" or "bad" depends entirely upon the listener.
I will have to disagree with this when phrased as "depends entirely". I agree that there is a strong subjective element in musical quality. Sometimes the difference between what I like and what someone else likes is entirely within us and not within the material. However, I also believe there is an OBJECTIVE element within music. Some music is just bad, is in it's really done poorly, it's not as high quality, it's not as creative, it's not as GOOD as other kinds. Whether I like it or not.

There is music that I can recognize is high quality stuff, good music, even if I don't happen to prefer it. And there is also music that I like, that really isn't very good music.

Art has BOTH subjective and objective elements. Of course the big weakness with this argument is that you can only judge the objective element of art subjectively... :)
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I've always had trouble understanding the appeal of rap, particularly the rhythmic element. The rhythm in rap songs is boring; styles such as progressive rock or funk are far more interesting from a rhythmic standpoint, and unlike rap, where most of the music is made on a computer, it takes considerable instrumental talent to play those styles.

If somebody combined hip-hop vocals with rock instrumentation and rhythms that were actually interesting, then that has the potential to be interesting. Oh, wait! Zazen Boys already did that!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Rap died with Easy E and Doug E Fresh.

Everyone else just flat out sucks. Most boring \"music\" ever made. 50 cent is the most boring rapper I've ever heard. Talk about minimal effort. Tells a lot about this country that he's popular.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Yup, 50 cent was one of the artists i took my kid to see....he seemed to like it.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ah, see, and here is a good example.

I LIKE this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo

Even though it's rap. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Flabby Chick wrote:So can we have examples of what is supposed to be good rap. I listen to it quite a lot and have attended concerts from foreign artists because my 11 year old is well into it. I'm bored sh1tless after 10 minuets.
While I agree that much of the current popular rap is either cookie-cutter boring or just plain vulgar (see: 50-cent), there are still some really good tunes out there, both past and present. Here are a couple of the standout mainstream ones I've enjoyed over the years: (they'll probably all be considered "old-school" to your 11-year-old, FC :wink:)

Classics:
Run DMC & Aerosmith - "Walk this way" - surprisingly good rock/rap collaboration.
Tupac Shakur - "Keep ya head up" - I promise you'll recognize it.
Coolio, "Gangsta's Paradise" - a lament, rework of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise", haunting chorus.

More recent:
Will Smith - "Summertime" - cheeseball nostalgia, but I heard this one again a couple days ago and was reminded how much I like some of his whimsical stuff.
Eminem - "Lose yourself" - as much as I don't like Eminem, I have to admit this one was ground-breaking.

Admittedly, I'm a guy who relates much more to Weird Al's "White & Nerdy" parody than Chamillionaire's original "Ridin' (Dirty)" (about racial profiling and police brutality). Personally, I think rap doesn't appeal to many people simply because it has a heavy social/ethnic background.

It's the same for me with opera - I enjoy classical music, but operatic vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Maybe if I understood opera (if I went to the productions and followed the storyline and read the translated words) I'd appreciate it more, but the fact is that it's completely foreign to me so I have no desire to hear it whatsoever.

That said, I think rap has gone downhill over the last few years, simply because the rap culture has gone from a unique art form that sometimes expressed the harsh realities of life on the streets to a culture where thuggism and sexism are glorified.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kilarin wrote:I LIKE this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo

Even though it's rap. :)
Heheh! Nice!
Also, what's wrong with White and Nerdy?

Edit: Aw crap, Foil beat me to it!
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I got tickets for this for Monday...it's my kids birthday 9/9...probably the only 'rap' I'd appreciate...though i'm not sure it's what you guys consider rap.

http://allhiphop.com/blogs/news/archive ... 78289.aspx
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

Admiral Thrawn wrote: Stereotype much? There's lots of rap that doesn't follow the stereotypical thuggish lifestyle and degrading lyrics. Before opening your ignorant mouth, look a little harder next time before speaking. You might actually say something intelligent rather than having a herd mentality.
Not according to the DJ's outside my dorm who play that very stereotypical stuff anytime theres a party going on...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I forgot about him..Will Smith is, though homogenized, quite good. I've noticed that a style/fad of rap would come out, and be executed rather poorly, then Smith comes and makes a song with said style, and just does it better. He's like 3M, doesn't make anything, just makes it better. </slogan>

Eminem, while I think a lot of his stuff is poor music-wise, his content is better than most (of my limited exposure), and he does have a few non-boring beats. Can't name any of his songs though.

I think my biggest slam against rap is that it is incredibly uninspiring. Weak music, the same beat that doesn't change ONCE for the whole song. Weak, 3rd grade vocabulary peppered with unintelligent ebonics. Weak voices, like in the case of 50 cent, he just sounds like he isn't about the music, just the money.
R&B is the same way, except they rip off good songs and #$%^ them up by looping the same part endlessly, and have stupid lyrics that (again) a 3rd grader could do. Much better voices though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:13 am
ah, see, and here is a good example.

I LIKE this:

That was great. :) I have two hell-on-paws kittens.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Foil wrote:I enjoy classical music, but operatic vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
Oh, I'm with you there. I love classical, but 90% of opera just makes me wish the fat lady would go ahead and get DONE singing already. :)

And white and nerdy, oh yeah! But then, I like all KINDS of Weird Al parodies of things that I can't stand the original of.

Speaking of which, I thought Weird Al's [url=ttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6417244079296463772&q=%22weird+al%22+yoda&total=161&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0]"Yoda"[/url] was an original, not a parody. When I ran into "Lola" for the first time, well, needless to say, I was a little bit shocked. :shock:

but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who can jam with an accordion on a rock stage and make it actually look cool is just the cat's pajamas. 8)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

God damn it I post a QUOTED piece and some of you ★■◆● as if it came out of my mouth in a damn press conference!

Not all rap sucks, I was hoping half the ★■◆●ing forum could figure that out! The thing is when someone says \"Rap\" I always think of Gangsta rap and crappy ★■◆● like that, because that is ALL thats played!

Although I don't like country, reggae, jazz, or whatever, doesn't mean it sucks. It requires talent in order for it to be created. However, I personally think that gangsta rap sucks ass, as it is just too simple to do, it is pointless, and brings around bad things. I listen to some Eminem and Papa Roach, they have talent, it requires talent to write raps like theirs, but \"shooting up a nigga with my handgun because he stepped on my new nikes\", doesn't require ★■◆● to create.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Deep breaths, think happy thoughts, happy thoughts! :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Flabby Chick wrote:I got tickets for this for Monday...it's my kids birthday 9/9...probably the only 'rap' I'd appreciate...though i'm not sure it's what you guys consider rap.

http://allhiphop.com/blogs/news/archive ... 78289.aspx
Ah, Black-Eyed Peas. Yeah, I like some of their stuff - they have a pretty distinct musical style, sounds a bit reggae at times.

Their lyrics can be a bit inane, though: "My humps... my lovely lady lumps" :roll:
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I DESPISE THAT @#$%ING SONG.

ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER ANGER
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Deep breaths, think happy thoughts, happy thoughts! :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

:aceface:
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

hehehe
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Dakatsu wrote:I listen to some Eminem and Papa Roach, they have talent, it requires talent to write raps like theirs, but "shooting up a nigga with my handgun because he stepped on my new nikes", doesn't require ***** to create.
IIRC, NONE of Beethoven's songs had any words in them! That means even an inanimate rock could make up lyrics as good as the ones!
So, does that make him an utterly rubbish song writer? Or are you just completely ignorant to the fact that raps are more than just biographies alone?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

TIGERassault wrote:IIRC, NONE of Beethoven's songs had any words in them!
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor / movement IV (Finale)
Words, and oh what words!

But just to clarify, you weren't SERIOUSLY suggesting we compare Beethoven and Rap, were you? :D
http://www.logoslibrary.org/classical/b ... index.html
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Now im not one for rap at all really... But I do like SOME. Murs, aesop rock, Atmosphere, Cannibal Ox... Just to name a few... Underground rap is where its at.... Im a firm believer most music is like that... It looses its vibe and energy when its over produced and watered down.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Rap is not R & B.

Rap, as a genré, is musical affirmitive action: Musicians with no talent making recordings for listeners who are tone deaf. :wink:
Kilarin wrote: Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor / movement IV (Finale)
Words, and oh what words!
I find myself tempted to do a "Rap" translation of Friedrich Schiller's An die Freude, but...
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Repo Man wrote:I find myself tempted to do a Rap translation of Friedrich Schiller's An die Freude, but...
oh... my. :o That might be so bad it would be GOOD!
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Repo Man »

Kilarin wrote:oh... my. :o That might be so bad it would be GOOD!
OK. That will be my project for this weekend! Europa will smile on me!! :P
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

TIGERassault wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:I listen to some Eminem and Papa Roach, they have talent, it requires talent to write raps like theirs, but "shooting up a nigga with my handgun because he stepped on my new nikes", doesn't require ***** to create.
IIRC, NONE of Beethoven's songs had any words in them! That means even an inanimate rock could make up lyrics as good as the ones!
So, does that make him an utterly rubbish song writer? Or are you just completely ignorant to the fact that raps are more than just biographies alone?
Guess what? Beethoven wrote PIANO MUSIC. It takes talent to write a good piano symphony, but many gangsta rap artists just write their own raps, and not the beat!
RepoMan wrote:I find myself tempted to do a Rap translation of Friedrich Schiller's An die Freude, but...
I always wondered how country music with rap vocals would sound. :P
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Dakatsu wrote:Guess what? Beethoven wrote PIANO MUSIC. It takes talent to write a good piano symphony, but many gangsta rap artists just write their own raps, and not the beat!
...But the rap songs themselves still do have the beats in them!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Well, since the theme here seems to be "dissin' the music I don't like":
Dakatsu wrote:I always wondered how country music with rap vocals would sound. :P
Just like seemingly every other popular recent country song... an inferior twangy rip-off of the original. ;)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

What is your point, Tiger, other than the recurring exclamation point?

Something I've heard a few times - hardly any of the rappers and R&B 'musicians' write their own lyrics or music. They're just showpieces.