Help compiling Devil v2.22lc2!

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Help compiling Devil v2.22lc2!

Post by Pumo »

I've got this problem when i try to compile Devil v2.22lc2 using the source code from Lars Christensen website...

I'm using DJGPP Make (with Allegro and grx248 correctly installed and compiled) to compile and i get this error:

makefile.x:2: depend: No such file or directory (NOENT)
make.exe: *** No rule to make target 'depend'. Stop.

But i can't find any Depend file in the Devil sourcecode nor in the DJGPP Libraries! So what's this 'depend' thing?

EDIT: I also get (if i ignore the Depend file) this error:

make.exe: *** No rule to make target 'devil.o', needed by 'd.exe'. Stop
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sounds like a corrupt makefile. Could be that the makefile was written for a different version of make than the one you're using. From the looks of it, `depend' is supposed to be a phony target that generates a makefile containing source dependencies so that make can build things like devil.o.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Mmh, yeah, that could be a problem, maybe i don't have the correct version.

The problem is, i don't know which version i should use! :?

However, Lars put this line in his MAKEX.BAT batch file:

gmake -f makefile.x

The problem is that gmake is for original GNU systems (like Linux) and i haven't found a version for DOS or Windows.
But so, Devil is a MS-DOS program, so i think it should be compiled with a DOS compiler (like DJGPP) but maybe i'm wrong... :?:

(BTW, i'm not an expert on this. This is the first time i try to compile an original source code :P )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

I think I downloaded the gmake.exe from DJGPP site.
DJGPP is a port of the GNU compiler.
It has been many years, so I might remember wrong.

I also seem to remember that the (at that time) newer versions of allegro had some problems with the colors.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, as it seems i'm somewhat dumb at this and i can't achieve this (although i will keep trying),
Would you be kind enough to compile a version of devil with a little tweak, Lars? :mrgreen:

The only reason for compiling again this old program, is because i like it more than DMB2 and DLE-XP, but i'm making levels for D2X-XL and i need to break the original D2 Limits (900 cubes, 254 walls, etc)

I would like a version of Devil with support for 6000 cubes, 2046 walls, 254 triggers, 700 bots and 3500 total things.

All the other D2X-XL stuff can be perfectly made on DLE-XP (colored lighting, new trigger types, smoke) but i want to design the level on Devil...
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You could also use GNU Make through Cygwin.
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by lars »

Pumo wrote:Well, as it seems i'm somewhat dumb at this and i can't achieve this (although i will keep trying),
Would you be kind enough to compile a version of devil with a little tweak, Lars? :mrgreen:
I am sorry, but I don't have the environment to compile Devil anymore, so I can't help you.