Old timer, Wants to play again

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Old timer, Wants to play again

Post by Wheeze87 »

Hey I first played descent in 1996, when i had a Macintosh Performa (A heap of junk if you ask me). Anyway, i got rid of my mac in '98 and switched to PC. Now i'm sick of Pc's and have gone back to good old apple (not offending all you pc users i hope).
Anyway, i found my old descent cd last week, and thought i would give it a go on my new macbook. However when i tried to intall the game, my macbook told me that the application was not supported by the system.
I tried downloading the D2x-Xl files too, but i am aware that you need the data files from an original descent purchase in order to play.
AS you can see i have the necessary files, as i have an original purchase of descent, despite its 11 years old!! is there anyway i can access the files so i can play this great game!!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Welcome to the DBB!

Mac huh? .. ok, there is some critical info we need. First, what version of Mac OS are you using?

Which Descent game are you trying to play. There are folks here that play on Mac's (thought their numbers are dwindling).

From what you posted, it seems that you are trying to play D2 on the most recent OS. Each of the patches support current Mac Os's. D/l the patches and read though the \"README\" for instructions.

Rebirth Downloads

XLDownloads
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

Hey Duper,
Thanks for the info.
My macbook arrived last week so its fresh out of the box, and has MAC OS X version 10.4.10

I have a very very old descent 1 cd, which is in macintosh format, but for some reason it won't install.

So what i really need to know is how i can go about installing this, i don't know if you know much about macs, but it seems there backwards compatability is fairly limited.

i would like to play descent 1, but with the D2x-xl project , can't you play the descent 1 missions with that?

ill download the patches form the links you posted, see if they help
Thanks man :)
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

By the way, jut wanted to add how amazed i am at how fantasitcally large and active the descent community is! Just goes to show a good game never dies, i wish i could have been apart of it for all of this time!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If memory serves, all the D1 installer does is just copy the data files from the CD to your hard drive. They're not even compressed! (and why would they need to be? The entire game is only 15MB in size!) Just copy the data over to your system and you're ready to go. You don't have to run the setup executable at all if rebirth functions like it does in windows. It'll use your operating system's setup instead of the game's.

Descent2 is a whole other story however. The data IS compressed, mainly due to the cutscenes.

And for the record, these are NOT patches. These are third party executables. Patches MODIFY original game data. Neither Rebirth or XL exhibit this behavior.

Also, kali is still alive and kicking. :) Your best shot at finding a game is there since thats where most of the community hangs out these days.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

Hey MD-2389, thanks for your interest and advice. :)
Unfortunately i'm still having problems, hopefully this picture may help describe them a little better.
http://upload2.postimage.org/620321/photo_hosting.html
This shows exactly what is on the cd when inserted, the reason given as to why the file cannot be opened, and i have also opened the info box for the file
For some reason it seems that this acient version of decent HAS been compressed

I went over to the apple support pages, and the only advice they had for \"CLassic Applications\" was to install MAC OS 9 and use \"classic environment\" to run the application, i.e. decsent. Now why i would want to install an outdated OS is beyond me. Surely there is another way?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Mmh, well i don't know if the main game files (HOG and PIG) are different from the PC version (if someone knows, tell me) but maybe i can give you the HOG and PIG files if they works for you (Of course, by E-Mail)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

Hey guys, thanks for all your help!
i've been really enjoying descent singleplayer. i've bought D2 now to.
Wht programs can i use to find some online action for D1/D2?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Kali is the only real hub for the community these days. Just be aware that they can be a rowdy bunch sometimes, so expect alot of sarcastic remarks.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

People still use a MAC ... poor folk

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

MD-2389 wrote:Kali is the only real hub for the community these days. Just be aware that they can be a rowdy bunch sometimes, so expect alot of sarcastic remarks.
BUBBALOU wrote:People still use a MAC ... poor folk
MD's Point exactly... :P

Hey... I still need someone to make one of those nifty 3dpro converters for me. Or tell me where to order the parts and all that crap. I'm getting tired of not playing descent...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You could play with mouse if you're desperate (I do because it's less of a strain actually). Or another joystick (God forbid!).
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Sirius wrote:You could play with mouse if you're desperate (I do because it's less of a strain actually). Or another joystick (God forbid!).
I actually started on mouse.... was pretty good too! But my wrist are still good(knock on wood) so I would love to be able to use the 3dpro I JUST bought...
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

BUBBALOU wrote:People still use a MAC ... poor folk
Actually, everyone connected to an Ethernet network uses Media Access Control... oh, wait, you didn't mean that! You meant a Mac.

I play Duke 3D under DOSBox on my Macbook Pro all the time, try that for D1 if you want the most accurate experience. You won't get hardware acceleration for D2, however.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Odd. Why did you just buy a joystick that doesn't work with your system?

I mean, sure there are the converters if you get them, but...
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Sirius wrote:Odd. Why did you just buy a joystick that doesn't work with your system?

I mean, sure there are the converters if you get them, but...
3dpro is the best descent stick. It does work... when it wants to... But every now and again it will just cut out in the middle of a game and not work at all for a few seconds. I'm tempted now to just retire this stick and purchase a usb one... but none I've felt have the same stability and just good feel as the 3d pro.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Get yourself a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Best stick I have ever owned, hands down! Like with my previous FF stick, my wrist doesn't ache in the slightest when using this stick. The button placement is practically ideal for Descent! You should seriously check it out!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Eh. I'm using the Logitech currently (mainly because of the Best Buy warranty), but I'd love to get back to the Sidewinder Precision Pro or 3DPro.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I also like the Saitek ST290 Pro, it takes a bit of muscle to move around, and after a while you actually start grinding into the base, but after that it smooth sailing. and for $20 you can't use. (As a note, i didn't use the hat for sliding, so I dont' know how good it is.)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

If you can find one, and you still have a pre-USB keyboard port, you could do worse than a Gravis Phoenix. Turn, pitch, roll, and throttle all at once without touching a button (that you can save for sliding). Golly I miss that old thing...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

haha

3DPro Rocks (with USB adapter too)

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I must be the only person in the universe who tried a 3D Pro and wasn't that impressed. :)
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

oh, I have a Gravis Phoenix, too and wow is that a great joystick - 4 axes and 24 programmable buttons plus great handling - what more could one want? (well I want a Gravis phoenix with USB port so I can use it on my laptop)

maybe when I have time I will (try to) make an adapter similar to Grendel's for the 3Dpro, no promises, though
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Neumaennl wrote:I want a Gravis phoenix with USB port so I can use it on my laptop...

maybe when I have time I will (try to) make an adapter similar to Grendel's for the 3Dpro, no promises, though
I wonder if this would do the trick. It works for the programmable PS/2 keyboard (aka programmer's best friend) I have on my USB workstation, also from this company.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

thx for the try Sedwick, but I don't think it would work - the Gravis Phoenix is connected to a PS/2 or DIN/AT Keyboard port and the Gameport - the Keyboard is then plugged into the Gravis Phoenix, which hands the signals through to the PC - if I wanted to make a USB Adapter which makes a 4 Axes/24 Button USB Joystick out of it I think I'd have to build it myself