How about a nice game of Tetris?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

How about a nice game of Tetris?

Post by Kyouryuu »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:o :oops: :shock:

Wow, talk about mad skilz. o_0
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

WOW!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Impressive!

Of course, what he was playing is not the same as the original Tetris we know from the PC, 8-bit Nintendo and GameBoy:

1. He was able to move pieces all the way to the sides no matter how fast they were falling.

2. If you watch carefully, you can see that pieces could still be moved to the side, even after they had fallen to the point where they could land.

3. Watch the top, he could see at least three moves ahead.

I consider myself a pretty good Tetris player on the 8-bit Nintendo version (got to level 23 once). At high levels in that version you have to have two things:

1. Vertical room (without it, you can't get pieces over toward the sides quick enough when the speed gets too fast). If the stack gets too high, it becomes impossible to get the pieces into place on the edges, even if you know where you want them.

2. Knowledge of the pieces coming forward (if the \"Next piece\" window is turned off, I can't get past level 17 or so), because you have to be able to start the piece moving the instant it comes on screen.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Is the end part some kind of \"kill screen\" that he can play through the credits?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Hehehe.
Foil wrote:2. If you watch carefully, you can see that pieces could still be moved to the side, even after they had fallen to the point where they could land.
That's basic Tetris gameplay. It's rooted in the original Tetris where the shapes fall in steps one stone high. A shape falls onto a stone after the step period expired from the position just above the stone -- where it still can be moved left/right or rotated. It's actually documented for the GameBoy version (hints section of the manual). A Tetris implementation w/ "smoothly" dropping shapes should allow for moving a shape after it landed for a short period of time, else the gameplay isn't Tetris ;)
Foil wrote:I consider myself a pretty good Tetris player on the 8-bit Nintendo version (got to level 23 once).
Hah ! If you can make 150000 points on the HP48 Tetris2 I'll officially consider to name you a good player :mrgreen: ;) (my HS on that is about 155k, level 7, no preview (!))
Foil wrote:2. Knowledge of the pieces coming forward (if the "Next piece" window is turned off, I can't get past level 17 or so), because you have to be able to start the piece moving the instant it comes on screen.
A good Tetris implementation gives you 1.5 times the points for a shape dropped if the preview is off. You'll also get substancially more points if you clear 4 lines.. ;)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Ahahaha!

Japanese gameshows rule.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Topher wrote:Is the end part some kind of "kill screen" that he can play through the credits?
Greatest Tetris Player Ever wrote:At the end, the game even went into invisible mode and the player beat that level too - to which the game crowned him Grand Master.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Grendel wrote:
Foil wrote:2. If you watch carefully, you can see that pieces could still be moved to the side, even after they had fallen to the point where they could land.
That's basic Tetris gameplay. It's rooted in the original Tetris where the shapes fall in steps one stone high. A shape falls onto a stone after the step period expired from the position just above the stone -- where it still can be moved left/right or rotated. It's actually documented for the GameBoy version (hints section of the manual). A Tetris implementation w/ "smoothly" dropping shapes should allow for moving a shape after it landed for a short period of time, else the gameplay isn't Tetris ;)
For a short period of time (i.e. one "step interval"), yes. But what I'm seeing is something I've seen in other implementations of Tetris: as long as the block is being moved to the side, it won't land, and can thus slide across as much distance as needed. I think this is what was allowing him to move the pieces all the way to one side, no matter the speed, or stack height.

BTW, my Tetris achievements are on the 8-bit NES: level 23, ~264K points (two separate games).
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Of course, some Tetris games are different from others.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

That was crazy! However, the most stunning gaming achievement I've ever witnessed has to be this. And of course, it's another Japanese guy... why does Japan have all of these superhuman gamers, anyway?!
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Ikaruga HD is coming to Xbox Live next year, along with Rez HD. :)

Different Tetris games have slightly different implementations. Arika's Tetris Grand Master series uses a modern ruleset:

\"the pieces do not lock immediately when it comes in contact with the placed blocks on the screen (unless Down is held when the tetrimino is in mid-air). Similar, but not identical, behavior can be seen in the later Tetris Worlds series. The pieces can be maneuvered for a half second on the same line it was dropped before it locks (meaning the player can drop the tetrimino one line to restart the lock-down timer). This can be a great strategy for undesirable drops, and fitting in tetriminos strategically in gaps.\"

A similar rule is present in Tetris DS. Also differing from traditional Tetris is that in most cases, each successful block drop raises the level, rather than the act of clearing ten lines.

That said, I like the sliding rule. It makes the game faster, without completely nerfing it like Tetris DS' \"infinite spin\" does.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Kyouryuu wrote:That said, I like the sliding rule. It makes the game faster, without completely nerfing it like Tetris DS' "infinite spin" does.
Hm, maybe I'm "old-school", but I'm not sure I would like that. There's something that just seems right about the challenge of keeping the stack low enough that you can get the pieces out to the sides when the speed gets too fast. It wouldn't seem like Tetris to me if the stack height didn't make a difference in how difficult it is to get the pieces to the sides.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Actually I'm more impressed by this guy..
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The other thing I'd like to see that version have from the original Tetris is a change of color scheme every level change. Having the same color scheme throughout makes is an advantage in identifying the next piece just from the color.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

This is the funniest

Birdseye wrote:It's never over
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Money! wrote:This is the funniest

That is the exact video that Grendel posted!
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wheeze87 »

TIGERassault wrote:

That is the exact video that Grendel posted!
Still that video is absolutely hilarious, had me in stitches...
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Laughed so loud I woke my kids up! :lol: :lol:
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

LOL!!!!!!! I was in tears at work !!!