Wireless routers/AP recommendations wanted.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Wireless routers/AP recommendations wanted.

Post by Krom »

So I am in the market for a wireless router/access point for my house.

1) Compatability: My laptop has a 802.11b/g (54 mbps) wireless LAN connection.
2) I will also be using several desktop computers through the wired ports.
3) It must be able to handle a lot of port forwards (running services on the internet).
4) Some reasonable QOS features would be welcome but not absolutely required.
5) It must be able to uplink the LAN ports to a switch, if I decide to use the 16 port 10/100 switch I have, or purchase a larger gigabit switch later.
6) Good handling of heavy P2P traffic like Bittorrent required.

After reading a few reviews my first choice would be: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833127215
If anyone has any comments or suggestions of routers I should look up please post.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

I really like NETGEAR routers. We're currently using a DGFV338 here, but it is probably oversized (and too expensive) for most people.

NETGEAR has many routers with different feature sets. You might want to check out their website.

Our first router was a NETGEAR FM114P. When it broke after a few years, we got a Linksys WRT54GS as a replacement. However, the WRT54GS often had troubles connecting and became unstable when P2P or any other connection heavy application was used. We recently replaced it with the NETGEAR DGFV338.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I have a linksys router here, but I've had problems where I've had to reset it, reflash it because it's gone corrupted, etc...

Friends of mine who have netgears dont' report any issues. I'd switch out, but it's a pretty costly deal since I have 2 pc's here in the office (spare bedroom) on a switch that's linked via wireless gateway to the wireless router in the front living room. The routers aren't too expensive, but with the added cost of the gateway, it becomes a pain.

Does netgear make a switch that doubles as a wireless bridge to a router?
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

get a router with a switch, anything that can run dd-wrt will do.

daisy chaining switches is easy anyways.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:I have a linksys router here, but I've had problems where I've had to reset it, reflash it because it's gone corrupted, etc...
Yeah, I too have had my fill of Linksys support (or lack thereof) and would prefer a different brand.

Unfortunately for the suggestions, the netgear DGFV338 is a wireless router/ADSL modem combination, which I do not require as I have a separate modem already through my ISP and since I will probably be moving soon I want a router that will work with anything cable or DSL.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Id also put one up for Netgear. I have an older router, and there weren't very many updates to its BIOS while I had it, but it has a nice feature set and ive only ever had to reset it 2 or 3 times in the 4 years ive had it. Its more flexible and stable than Linksys, whose customer support is terrible.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

Krom wrote:Unfortunately for the suggestions, the netgear DGFV338 is a wireless router/ADSL modem combination, which I do not require as I have a separate modem already through my ISP and since I will probably be moving soon I want a router that will work with anything cable or DSL.
The DGFV338 has two WAN ports. One is the integrated ADSL modem, the other one is an Ethernet port (to connect to an external modem).
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Why not get a WRT54GL and load whatever third party firmware you want on it? (the GL is just a re-release of the v4 WRT54G) Then just toss in a gigabit switch and daisy chain it into the router.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Linksys > All.