Project "Descent Relived"

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Nuke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nuke »

i couldnt get oofgen to work under max 8 but i did find another program (d3tool) that supported truespace cob/scn import. sence im more familiar with truespace than max i think it should do nicely.

for base models im gonna use thinman's robot archive http://www.descent2.com/goodies/3dmodel ... /descent2/
i intend to optimise the models for d2xxl and re-uv and skin them. the work will be done one bot at a time. i think il do them in order of their aperance in the game.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, should work.

There is a converter direct from .COB to .POL in fact (it's fairly good too), but the Descent 2 robot tools are probably lacking a lot of features you'd need for high-def stuff now.
Nuke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nuke »

you aint kidding, the bsp structure for the pol format is very primitive. ive only been able to produce a handfull of bots that looked right, after many an attempt. thats why i want to use the new oof support. ive never used oofs before but it cant be any harder than pofs or mdls or pols or any other game format ive ever used. im still gonna keep relatively low polycounts (the stuff i do for freespace 2 open in some cases exceeds 15000 polys, example). i think the 250-750 range will do fine.
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Textures?

Post by novacron »

Well hello everyone...

Now you must be thinking, where the hell has Novacron been? Are the textures done? Did he die?

The texturing has not been my main priority, but I have done some work on them. What I have been working on is my music.To prove it, I will share with you one of my tracks that will be on my future psy-trance album which is currently unnamed.

http://novacron.sitesled.com/music/terror%20zone.mp3
'Terror Zone' by me

Enjoy
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oohoo, long time no see!

I want textures! :P
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I like it.
Sounds cool. Wish I could do stuff like that.

Nicely done! 8)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Neumaennl wrote:DizzyRox the energy powerup now is perfect!

But now to another thing: DizzyRox works around NovacroN's efforts, which is ok since it would be stupid to do things twice, especially if there's that much work involved, but as NovacroN didn't release all of his textures and obviously isn't working on them anymore, don't you think it would be nice if he would make all of the textures he did accessible to the public on novacron.koolbear.com? Maybe someone with more influence on him (Diedel, or maybe DizzyRox) could try to contact him (someone got an eMail address of him?) and persuade him to release his textures for the benefit of the community. Otherwise someone may have to do things twice or we will never see those textures in HiRez :cry:
Done! :)

Why e-mail?
I'm sure he still gets notifications when you post here.

Nova - It would be great if you could release the rest of your work so others can help finish the project!

Thanks bud!

RED5
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Textures

Post by novacron »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
Neumaennl wrote:DizzyRox the energy powerup now is perfect!

But now to another thing: DizzyRox works around NovacroN's efforts, which is ok since it would be stupid to do things twice, especially if there's that much work involved, but as NovacroN didn't release all of his textures and obviously isn't working on them anymore, don't you think it would be nice if he would make all of the textures he did accessible to the public on novacron.koolbear.com? Maybe someone with more influence on him (Diedel, or maybe DizzyRox) could try to contact him (someone got an eMail address of him?) and persuade him to release his textures for the benefit of the community. Otherwise someone may have to do things twice or we will never see those textures in HiRez :cry:
Done! :)

Why e-mail?
I'm sure he still gets notifications when you post here.

Nova - It would be great if you could release the rest of your work so others can help finish the project!

Thanks bud!

RED5
What I could do is give an up to date list of textures I have already started/finished and others could do the rest. Sorry guys I'm just too involved with music and other things right now to work on textures. Once I get all my other priorities finished I will want to come back to this project. But, in the meantime if you guys would like to work on some, feel free. I will update my project site with a more up to date list for you. Maybe I will just update the sample pack with the rest of the completed textures also.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sounds very good, Nova, especially having all your other finished textures.
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Updated

Post by novacron »

Descent Relived Sample Pack updated to 1.1. Visit http://novacron.koolbear.com for more info.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I wish some 'competition' would encourage you to make some more textures, Nova ... ;)
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by novacron »

Diedel wrote:I wish some 'competition' would encourage you to make some more textures, Nova ... ;)
Well there is competition, and there is encouragement, but there is something else you forgot: My lack of time. What you need to do is come burn down the hospital I work at so I have no job for a couple months. Of course, move all the patients out before you do so. :D
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Happy Holidays

Post by novacron »

Merry X-Mas everyone :D

http://novacron.koolbear.com/downloads/Merry_XMas.zip

I decided to take a short break from music, which is going well. With all the knowledge that I've had over the years in Photoshop I finally figured out how to tile seamlessly. So to try it out, I used a couple unfinished textures. For one of them, it is impossible to tile it seamlessly around the other texture for all 4 sides, but it doesn't look too bad from afar. You wouldn't want to get close to this one most of the time anyways ;)

Enjoy everyone.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey Novacron Merry Christmas to you to,
Sweet!! work there, Oh yeah 8)
thanks man
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

The Project Continues!

Post by novacron »

I am pleased to announce that after a year or so of inactivity, I will resume my progress on providing you with high resolution textures for one of the best games of all time.

Hopefully within a week or so I'll have some new ones to show everyone to prove I am serious. I have no doubt you will enjoy what I will show you. ;)

I will be updating my site as well with these, so make sure to check there...

See you in the mines...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Good to know man. :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Stickied. :D

Welcome back Nova! :)
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MetalBeast »

Hi Nova.

We should synchronise, bevor you start making new textures, cause I did many new, which are not released yet.

Im working with Diedel on new Models an Textures.
I will post, which textures I did alredy, so you do not need to make them. Maybe we can work together to become better results.

:D

P.S.
Alredy converted to high-res:

- all 200 rock-textures
- hostage, misc17
- door53(all frames)
- water04, water05
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hi Nova,

that's great news - WB! LOL, I had just written kind of an obituary in my worklog about you and the other texture makers that had quit. :P

What do you think about making some more doors?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Good to see you here again Nova!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MetalBeast »

Update:

Door13 (exit) > converted
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Slow...

Post by novacron »

WIP shots. Trying to get back into the swing of things... bare with me. I haven't forgot.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

They look great Nova!

WB bro. :)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Slow...

Post by Sedwick »

novacron wrote: WIP shots. Trying to get back into the swing of things... bare with me. I haven't forgot.
"Bare" with you? Well, I'm normally not into nudism, but, very well... :lol:

But seriously, those do look great. Sharp enough to cut your finger on.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nova,

mind giving the transparent texture areas a black foreground?

Don't you think the official D2X-XL forum is a better place to post about D2X-XL specific stuff than here? ;)
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by novacron »

Diedel wrote:Nova,

mind giving the transparent texture areas a black foreground?

Don't you think the official D2X-XL forum is a better place to post about D2X-XL specific stuff than here? ;)
Alright Diedel, I'll give in to your suggestion :)

I should just post on my site Koolbear so kindly decided to host for me :D
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by novacron »

Moved to this thread:

http://descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252

NOT!
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by novacron »

After some small improvements with the texture and the animation, I'd like to bring you fan01! Be warned! The blades have been sharpened so be sure not to cut yourself on your way out of the mine! ENJOY!

Click to download

novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

'METL' Pack Released!

Post by novacron »

http://novacron.sitesled.com/temp/Relived_METL_pack.zip

I finally have something to release to all of you. This is my complete pack containing every 'METL' texture from Descent 2, in high resolution. I am quite pleased with this set and I hope everyone enjoys it.

There will be more packs to come similar to this, as well as a pack containing all of my textures currently complete. My next goal will be to finish as many doors as possible.

PLEASE NOTE: I am currently hosting this pack on an FTP server that may not be suitable for the pack permanently. The capacity Koolbear has so kindly let me use exceeds when the file attempts to upload. I am also aware that some of the textures provided in the pack have already been previously released, but some may have been updated to make them more seamless when tiled in-game.