Explosive entertainment!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Explosive entertainment!

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's not everyday you get to watch an explosion, but I had a front row seat to one.

They've been working on a road extension in the north part of town and they ran into a large area of solid rock. The company doing the work has been drilling holes for several weeks in a large pattern, so I figured that blasting was probably eminent.

Well, people were finally warned that explosives were going to be set off at 2:00PM on Tuesday, so I went up into my attic and watched out the vent, which has a perfect unobstructed view of the hillside where the work was going on, only about 2 miles away.

Yee haa! A large area of ground rose up a good thirty feet in the air and then fell back to earth. You could see the shock wave spread out in all directions. It made a big braaaaaaaaaap noise since it was a timed sequence detonation that was set off.

Fun to watch but then I kicked myself for not getting my camera out and recording it. Sorry. :oops:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Explosive entertainment!

Post by Krom »

tunnelcat wrote:Fun to watch but then I kicked myself for not getting my camera out and recording it. Sorry. :oops:
Bastard!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If they do some more blasting, I'll try to get a video posted. There is a lot more rock up there still in the way.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Shockwave you say?

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Lame. Check out this backyard project.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I commuted from Waukesha to Sheboygan last winter. If I had been 10 minutes slower I would have witnessed Milwaukee's Falk plant explosion.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK all you freaks that like things that blow up. here's the link:

This was taken by somebody else nearer to the demolition and the blast occurs about 2 mintues into the video. You can't hear the sound it made very well since they are inside a building. I live up on the hill to the left a little over a mile away and it sounded quite loud outside. You could also see a small ground shock wave move away from the explosion that you can't see in the video.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I still kinda prefer this one:

EDIT: Ah I found a direct reference to the home video that someone shot of it.

What do they say? \"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try and keep up.\"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yep, you can't beat that one. However the one near my house was right across the street from a shopping center so it couldn't have been larger without causing damage to surrounding buildings. Plus I got to see and feel it personally. Much more fun! :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

BUBBALOU wrote:Shockwave you say?
o_0
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Oh come on! A thread about explosions and nobody posts anything from Mythbusters?!

Enjoy. :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The Mythbusters are great! They love to blow things up, shoot things, smash things, etc., etc. My puny explosion doesn't come close to some of the ones they've done.

I'll have to admit that it is more thrilling to actually FEEL an explosion than watch it on TV however. It's not everyday that someone blows up rock near your house.

The sequential explosion that was done here sounded vaguely familiar. Then I remembered the death sound the boss robot makes in Mine 4, Robby Station of Descent 2. THAT'S the sound the explosion made, only a little shorter in duration.