upgrade time (again)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

upgrade time (again)

Post by ReadyMan »

I think I'm ready for an upgrade.
I'm just going to get a new mb/cpu and a video card.
What would you suggest? (I'd like to keep it under $1000 for the 3 components.) Gotta be dual core or better...

I think my current RAM will work with a new system...?

Here's all the components I'm using now:

DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core 1MB
Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu Silent CPU Cooling
2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) OCZ dual channel platinum DDR
HD SATA3G Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB 16mb cache

Thanks for any input!
RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Whats wrong with your current setup? Looks pretty solid to me, but then I don't do much PC gaming any more. You won't be able to use your current RAM since everyone has gone to DDR2. Also, you didn't mention what video card you currently have.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

well, the 4400 is on the bottom end of the curve it seems...though it does still work well with what I'm playing atm. I havent kept up on current cpu changes and power, so I guess I'm assuming it's at the bottom of the rung now.

Basically, I can do an upgrade because I have the extra cash right now....though maybe just a video card would do the trick.
I'm using a 7900 GT now.

I wonder if I'd see much of an improvement with an 8800 GT...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ASUS P5K DELUXE, E6750 or E6850, 8800 GTS (eVGA), and memory.
ImageImage
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

4400+ is a pretty solid dual core chip.

I have single core 3700+ in my GF's PC and it runs nice with a GF6800

Perhaps a 3d card upgrade would be more cost effecive?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You think it is time to upgrade, but are you having any speed issues with software or games you are running now, or will be running soon? If you just have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket there isn't much reason to upgrade that system right now.

That being said, I'll second what Grendel recommended. If you want you could switch the CPU to something like the Q6600 and get 2.4 GHz quad core for a pretty affordable price.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the only valid reason to upgrade that now is virtualization, or vista.

I have a 3800+ x2 and a 7800gt, both are fine, with the exact same motherboard... and ram. Scary. first off... overclock it, thats what you spent the money on the board for.

consider this: in order to get a new CPU, you need a new MB and RAM, so that'll eat into your budget there.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

fliptw wrote:the only valid reason to upgrade that now is virtualization, or vista.
Either of which I would still hold off from, both Intel and AMD are supposedly making some good headroom in virtualization in the next generation. And the next gen chips shouldn't be so far away that your current system would be seriously holding you back on anything by that time.

Unless there is something you specifically want to accomplish that your current computer simply can't do, I would avoid upgrading.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

great points everyone...

Yes, my system runs everything fine with no hangups from my end. SupCom was the only game that needed more power, and I think that's true of basically every system running it now.

I guess I was just thinking the old idea that two years is about all you'll get out of a system....

I will wait on the upgrade...as I DO have other bills
to pay :)

Thanks for the input!

RM
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You may want to wait just a little bit longer. The current top of the line video cards are not HARDWARE compliant with the upcoming version of DX 10.1 yet.

Read this month's copy of Maximum PC (November) about the problem before you slap down your hard earned money. Microsquish is still causing us grief. :roll:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Watch it -- you may end up waiting forever.. :P
ImageImage
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

tunnelcat wrote:You may want to wait just a little bit longer. The current top of the line video cards are not HARDWARE compliant with the upcoming version of DX 10.1 yet.

Read this month's copy of Maximum PC (November) about the problem before you slap down your hard earned money. Microsquish is still causing us grief. :roll:
I wouldn't worry about that. Its been quite some time since DX10 has come out (Vista), and there isn't a SINGLE game out there that fully takes advantage of it yet. ;) (And don't even say Halo 2, thats a DX9 game.)
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

correction, I have a 7800GT ...I'm wondering if another 7800GT in SLI mode (they should be relatively cheap now) would give me as much of a boost as an 8800...?

Though if I understand correctly, I should wait for the gfx cards to be DX10 compliant before upgrading to a newer card...?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ReadyMan wrote:correction, I have a 7800GT ...I'm wondering if another 7800GT in SLI mode (they should be relatively cheap now) would give me as much of a boost as an 8800...?
Two 7800GTs won't event get you close to a 7900GTX, sorry :)
ReadyMan wrote:Though if I understand correctly, I should wait for the gfx cards to be DX10 compliant before upgrading to a newer card...?
8800 cards are DX10 compliant but not 100% 10.1. If you wait, the next gen of cards will be available in no time :)
ImageImage
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

after reading that article, waiting is good :)
I'm curious what's on the gfx card horizon...

Thanks (again)!

RM