360 Degrees of Freedom Returns in Crysis...well, sort of...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

360 Degrees of Freedom Returns in Crysis...well, sort of...

Post by Repo Man »

If this has already been mentioned here before then slap me...

[Crysis Spoiler Alert: Stop reading now to avoid a spoiler.]

I have been playing Crysis over the last couple of days. This game rocks for a ground pounder. A nice surprise was the zero-gravity map inside the alien base. I almost felt like I was playing Descent again; those same old warm feelings of vertigo and disorientation. It even has few accelerator travel tubes. I cannot remember what they were called in D3, sorry. I kept wishing I could trichord to punch the daylights out of those aliens! :lol:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: 360 Degrees of Freedom Returns in Crysis...well, sort of

Post by DCrazy »

Repo Man wrote:It even has few accelerator travel tubes. I cannot remember what they were called in D3, sorry.
I don't know if there was an official term for them (they were controlled by the "Wind" room property) but I always referred to them as "mag tunnels", because ostensibly they worked through induction.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I tried out the Crysis demo, aside from running slower than any game should on a C2D/8800 GT, it was rather boring because the gameplay was simple, the weapons were hard to use and not very effective even at close range. And the combat system of switching different suit modes was a pain to use on the fly.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Krom wrote: And the combat system of switching different suit modes was a pain to use on the fly.
Yeah, 100% there. You have to use a GUI that takes several steps. It should be hot-keyed. Afterall, they are enabled cybernetically.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

The game will bring your system to its knees. There's no doubt about that. I have an Intel Q6600 overclocked to 3.6 GHz and an Nvidia 8800 Ultra overclocked to 660 Mhz (memory @ 1200 Mhz). I get ~22 f/s at the \"high\" detail settings--and it's just barely playable at that.

The suit mode switching was tricky at first, but I can switch it pretty fast now. The rest of your criticism's, Krom, sound more like sour grapes to me.

Returning to my original reason for starting this thread: Whoever made the map for the inside of the alien base had to be a Descent fan. That map feels just like I'm back in the mines. For anyone else here who might be playing Crysis, I was wondering if you felt the same way? 8)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Repo Man wrote:The game will bring your system to its knees. There's no doubt about that. I have an Intel Q6600 overclocked to 3.6 GHz and an Nvidia 8800 Ultra overclocked to 660 Mhz (memory @ 1200 Mhz). I get ~22 f/s at the "high" detail settings--and it's just barely playable at that.
It's funny how in any discussion of Crysis, comparison of system specs ultimately comes before any mention of its gameplay. Of course, that's okay. I thought Far Cry was annoying hollow too.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Kyouryuu wrote:It's funny how in any discussion of Crysis, comparison of system specs ultimately comes before any mention of its gameplay. Of course, that's okay. I thought Far Cry was annoying hollow too.
Unfortunately, it's the ones who complain about gameplay who always seem to bring up system specs first. For example:
Krom wrote:I tried out the Crysis demo, aside from running slower than any game should on a C2D/8800 GT, it was rather boring because the gameplay was simple, the weapons were hard to use and not very effective even at close range. And the combat system of switching different suit modes was a pain to use on the fly.
If the game runs poorly on your system you are going to have a bad experience with it, peroid. Of course the weapons aren't going to work well since the timing is going to lag.

I just finished Crysis. And I'll have to admit that it lacks a bit in the playability department when compared with other games. Crytek needs to concentrate more on the gameplay rather than their game engine, which, as a programmer, I can say their engine seriously kicks ass.

Far Cry was very annoying--which was a big part of the fun for me. If you did not like Far Cry, you will not like Crysis. There is simply no accounting for taste. :roll:

I will make one last attempt to return to the original subject for this thread. If all you want to do is complain about how you don't like Crysis then please don't waste my time.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Framerates are a serious part of gameplay, and my system is way ahead of the curve right now. If they want a game to actually be fun, they shouldn't have coded it like this.

After I looked around and soaked in the incredible details, I turned the settings way down to a small screen resolution so I got perfectly playable and speedy framerates before I made any judgments on the quality of the gameplay. 5 years down the road when even low end systems can run this game at hundreds of frames per second, it will STILL have weak and crappy gameplay. If these people want to do so much special effects they should go work for a hollywood movie studio and get their garbage out of the video game industry.

We don't play games because they look good, we play them because they are supposed to be fun. Crysis is nothing but an overblown tech demo.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

Krom wrote:If these people want to do so much special effects they should go work for a hollywood movie studio and get their garbage out of the video game industry.

We don't play games because they look good, we play them because they are supposed to be fun. Crysis is nothing but an overblown tech demo.
rightOn++;