D1 Singleplayer Difficulty Level

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

What's the highest difficulty level you've beat D1 at?

Trainee
9%
Rookie
6%
Hotshot
13%
Ace
19%
Insane
40%
Never finished
13%

Total votes: 47
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh fine, blame it on Duper!

Who posted huh?? I'm just torlling, not saying anything significant... blah blah blah...

:mrgreen:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I warped to the final level of Descent as soon as I got it installed for the second time. Before that, I had reached level 7 at trainee and couldn't defeat the boss (it killed me about 2 seconds into the battle each time I tried). Needless to say, on level 27, at trainee, the farthest I've gone is the blue door before getting a game over.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I've only beaten D1 and D2 on Hotshot. I dunno if I'm good enough for Insane; I tried playing the first few levels of D2 on it a few days ago, and it was so unfun that I decided to replay it on Hotshot instead. I really want to beat D1 (or maybe the Vertigo missions, for the ultimate challenge) on Insane, but I can't imagine being able to survive against the red mechs' homing missiles without an afterburner. And of course, Pigs are instant death...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually, playing the game on insane will teach you how to properly dodge things. :) (Though it would greatly help if you played through one of the D*x projects. Both of the current ones have updated homing missile code so they are no longer track according to your frames per second.)
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I am going to pre-emptively vote insane. I haven't technically done it yet, but I can clear some of the toughest levels with a cold start, so I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time. :twisted: It's pretty satisfying, because until a few months ago I hadn't played single player in many years, and that was back when I absolutely sucked.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can only play on trainee. Anything higher and I get a game over on level 1. (Part of the problem is I can't trichord).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

dude. o_0
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

To my knowledge the rule about bumping old topics was that it should only be done if it was for the purpose of adding useful content to the thread, and the discussion here fits right in with many other things we've been discussing lately. The atmosphere is a little different here, but I also spend time on other boards where starting a new thread on a topic when an existing one will suffice is frowned on.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

You're not going to JAIL, I was just a bit surprised.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Hotshot here. It was kinda difficult for me, though.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

D3Alien is technically correct in his assertion. So duper, my question to you is this; was that really necessary to do?

My stance is this: Bumping an old thread a two-fold approach. If the thread is less than one year old, it can be bumped, provided there is useful content added. If it's over two years old, it's best to start a new thread and link to the old one for reference.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Update: I've done it on Ace! My score is 7,093,280.

Had hoped that extra lives would pay 50k points each, but looks like they only pay 10k points. Oh whatever. On Trainee it's hard to top 1,8k points in all. :)
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

I beat Descent 1 on Insane, without dying, multiple times. Also without a lot of sniping. Homing missiles proved to be my greatest asset. I play through the first seven levels of descent usually on insane when I feel nostalgic, but I never really go further than that anymore. Maybe I should sometime :)
If I Ruled The World. Imagine That.