Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

bobo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Post by bobo »

Anybody have this joystick and use it for D1,2, or 3? I just ordered it because I finally gave up on trying to find a way to use my MS 3d pro since I no longer have a gameport, and my Vortex2 doesn't work in Vista x64.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I've had mine for a couple years now, and it works perfectly fine. Its a little stiff at first, due to the spring they have around the center shaft, but you'll get used to it rather quickly. (The spring is there to help prevent the plastic clips on the pots from breaking.)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

I used one for D3 for a while, but it didn't take long before it started
drifting which is rather annoying. Didn't have any other problems with
it although players who use the hat switch to slide (which I don't) tend
to break it. :)

My current joystick is a Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro which has worked well
to this day (I got it about a year ago I think - don't remember exactly).
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ONE of the reasons I'm not playing descent right now is that my joystick, my SECOND Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is starting to show drift. It's a darn shame, it's a nice joystick otherwise, but apparently almost every single one of them starts showing drift after a while. It's happened to me TWICE, and I don't think I'll be wasting money on another one. I'm going to be looking for some other brand.

The problem is COMMON. Check out these comments from online review sites:

=====================================================

epinions
I bought it with a warranty and traded it in 7 times. Every time it would irreparably lose calibration and begin drifting. The stick is useless at that point. There are hundreds of similar complaints on the Logitech website. Everyone has the same experience.

Amazon
The joystick senses movement with potentiometers mounted on a gimbal, and it's these potentiometers that wear out. They get very noisy (which translates into my airplane starts spinning uncontrollably at random intervals) and drift

This site is full of discussion of the problem:everthingusb
\"Bought it, returned it 3 days later\"
I purchased the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and immediately experienced the same difficulties others had with turning my aircraft to starboard.
--
Yes I gave it a thumbs up even though I have to buy a new one every few months or so. Never has it lasted more than 6 months before it starts rolling to the right in Fighter Ace
--
This was an excellent joystick for the first couple months. Then, mid game, it dumped it's z-axis settings. Trying all the suggestions on the site did not fix it
--
Awesome stick when i first bought it, 3 monthes later my chopper was rolling and ruddering to the right.
--
Mine worked flawlessly for about six months until the roll axis got buggy
--
Seems this joystick of mine has a bad history, specifically z-axis or y-axis control. No question it drifts badly.
--
The reviews from other sites say that 99% of the time this product dies in the first couple months of use.. MAJOR warning sign!
--
Just confirming that the x axis and twist control starts to fade steadily until control in aircraft games is impossible

======================================================

That's just a SMALL sampling of the complaints.
It's a darn shame. If it weren't for the drifting problem, I would say this was the best controller since the sidewinder. But as it is, I can NOT recommend it.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's really not a horribly bad stick, it's actually played quite well for me in D3. It's just that it doesn't last long.

Tip: If you decide on that stick, get it through Best Buy, and get their 'extended warranty'. That way, when it goes down (which it will), they'll just replace it for free. I got mine replaced twice that way.

('Course, now I'm back to playing with the old MS Sidewinder Precision-Pro.) :P
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I think I may get a week or two with the stick before it is thrashed. Mostly Z axis problems but I have plowed the handle through the bottom a couple of times.

I get them wholesale and even then don't bother buying them anymore.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Heh, mine hasn't started drifting yet. Maybe some of the people complaining shouldn't treat them like crap. They just might actually last longer. ;)
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Maybe Logitech should stop building them like crap.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

MD-2389 wrote:Heh, mine hasn't started drifting yet. Maybe some of the people complaining shouldn't treat them like crap. They just might actually last longer. ;)
Maybe you should start using it.. :P I went through at least 5 before I got pissed enough to build the 3DP-Vert.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

been tellen ya guys: get a Saitek!

Only gotten 2 in the last 5 years and that second one was just very recently. course, it helps if you don't thrash your stick around. If you're that hard on your equipment, get a Thrustmaster cougar.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I had a couple, they did last the longest but I find the throw too far for my liking. I seem to do better with sticks that have no twist.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper wrote:If you're that hard on your equipment, get a Thrustmaster cougar.
I think NOT - Cougar = garbage potmetal built in china with hotglue an twine.

Saitek is now MAD KATZ - get ready for the trickle effect

CH Products@! rocks

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

i could not AFFORD CH. the X52 was spendy enough as it was.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Grendel wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Heh, mine hasn't started drifting yet. Maybe some of the people complaining shouldn't treat them like crap. They just might actually last longer. ;)
Maybe you should start using it.. :P I went through at least 5 before I got pissed enough to build the 3DP-Vert.
I use it almost every day. Just because I don't touch D3 anymore doesn't mean that it doesn't see any use.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

MD's joystick sees a lot of use? NOT!

;)

The Logitech Extreme 3D sticks last me about 2 weeks before they become useless due to \"drift\" (which is a mild term for a stick that begins makeing sharp right hand turns when it is even slightly to the right of absolute center).

The problem, from what I can see is caused by 'overuse' of the rotational axis. By overuse, I mean ANY USE. If you don't use the twist function you're ok. Use it even a little bit and it starts to break the stick.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I've had my 3D Pro for more than a year, and it is not a good stick, it lacks fine control. The secondary firing button is poorly placed. However, if it drifts, just unplug the USB (with the computer on) for a few seconds, then plug it back in. Very annoying, have to do this once or twice a week. I am wondering if I should install a button that would disconnect it when pressed. It's still a crappy stick.