WoW = EVIL!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

WoW = EVIL!

Post by Nightshade »

\"Several high-profile cases involving people who met playing online games have led experts to caution that such Web sites have a unique environment that could be a breeding ground for criminal minds.\"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316333,00.html
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Only the idiots (read: 90% of this country) would be oblivious to this :)

FOX is true to form. exaggerations and 5th-grade emotional pandering. FOX is such a disease.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Who would have thought the DBB is actually a TERRORIST BREEDING GROUND! OH NO DESU! !O_O!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

World of Warcraft is evil anyway; who the hell would pay money to play a game, as in you buy the game and have to PAY to actually USE IT!!! GRAAARRR!!!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I played WoW last year, I will never play another MMORPG again. They have an addictiveness that sneaks up on you. I can play Halo3 for 15-30 minutes, I couldn't play WoW for less then 2-3 hours

And that makes all the difference in the world on how dominent I want video games to be in my life.

....and oddly enough, at least half of the time I played that game, I was doing things that I considered extreamly boring....

How does Blizard do that?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

FOX news blathering about violent video games again! Their ratings must be in the toilet and they are trying out more of the same agitprop. :lol:
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Hey, you know what else?
Canada also has meeting areas that could potentially breeding ground for criminal minds. I say we bomb Canada.
It's the American way.
tunnelcat wrote:FOX news blathering about violent video games again! Their ratings must be in the toilet and they are trying out more of the same agitprop. :lol:
Actually, I say it looks more like their ratings are soaring! Regular people love listening to the same agitprop over and over again.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Only complete losers play that game anyways. :P
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

World of Warcraft is evil anyway; who the hell would pay money to play a game, as in you buy the game and have to PAY to actually USE IT!!! GRAAARRR!!!
Only complete losers play that game anyways.
Who indeed. Their current subscriber list is only 9.25 million people paying $15 a month each. That gives them a paltry monthly income of $138,750,000.00. What can you do with a drop in the bucket like that? :shock:

There are more members of World of Warcraft in the United States than there are farmers. :roll:

It is a disease though, my son is in university and went to the War Gamers Club to play a Dungeons and Dragons type table top game. Except for the dungeon master and my son every other player was multi-tasking between a laptop game of WoW and the table top game in front of them. Apparently they would look up when prompted to toss some dice and then go back to WoW.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Gooberman wrote: ....and oddly enough, at least half of the time I played that game, I was doing things that I considered extreamly boring....

How does Blizard do that?
ya know.. I was wondering the same thing. o_0

see??! It IS evil!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ah yes.. foxnoise. breeding ground for fear and lies.

why people don't turn it off even after the fact it's been caught after blatantly lying time and time again is just astounding.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

> a unique environment that could be a breeding ground for criminal minds.

More like a breeding ground for FREE minds AMIRITE?

(urgh, i got through 3/4ths of this trash FOX article before i was gagging from the stench and couldn't go on. Our thread here is cool though :D)

Woa Ford Prefect, $1.66 Billion a year!

With that income, i wonder what their overheads are. ie: how many employees do they have? they could afford to pay a LOT of salarys. And with the subscription income model, i bet their income is quite steady and predictable (none of this week by week \"ratings\" stuff the TV industry has to deal with, it must be a nightmare to try to create art under that pressure). I bet it'd be a great system to work in for creative talent.

I have visions of that RPG anime Hack/.Sign (i watched some of it :)). It'd be so awesome to have a world like that you coudl just chill in. and that's what i'd be doin, just chillin. When i play immersive games i find myself just savouring the feeling, staring around. That's how i felt in Homeworld. That kindof escapism in a more robust VR form... man that'd be so awesome. *sigh*
There are more members of World of Warcraft in the United States than there are farmers.
hahahaha, man i never thought of it like that. that's really interesting
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I been saying WoW was evil ever since that day someone in Kali said \"Hey! I got WoW! I'm going to try it out, be back tonight!\" and then I never see him again...

And then some other pilots disappeared too. Then they come back later and when we ask where they have been, it's WoW.

WoW is evil!

IT'S STEALING OUR PILOTS!@
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I've seen a few WoW games and...I don't see the attraction at all. I can't imagine being so weak of mind that I would play for days with no food and DIE.

Not even Descent has that power. Hell not even women have that power.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i used to play xcom for ages on end. You are addicted to the next goal. ZOMG I MUST RESEARCH AND BUILD THIS COOL NEW SHIP. :(
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I've never seen the appeal of MMORPGs. Gimme Dragon Quest anyday!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:ah yes.. foxnoise. breeding ground for fear and lies.

why people don't turn it off even after the fact it's been caught after blatantly lying time and time again is just astounding.
Yea, and Comcast bumped MSNBC to a higher channel to put on Fox Noise Business Channel, that has like, ten viewers. So now you have to have a cable box to watch Keith Olbermann! :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

When these ignorant media types refer to such things as the Napster service and World of Warcraft as a \"web site\", it makes me want to stab them in the face.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I planned to buy it, but now I never buy that freaking game because more than 60,000 players got BANNED.
MD1985
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

9,250,000 users and they give 60,000 the boot. Who would notice? Got link for that 60,000 number? I would be interested as to what you have to do to convince Blizard they don't want your $15/mo.
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Jonathan Paskiewicz wrote:I planned to buy it, but now I never buy that freaking game because more than 60,000 players got BANNED.
So... one in every 154 players on it got banned, most likely for disobeying the rules to a large extent.
Yes, I can really see why that's a perfectly reasonable excuse not to play the game.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I think, Blizzard is tried and sickness of players use cheat codes, programmable keyboard, Anti-AFK, insulting, spamming, and more ya know.

Then now Blizzard is crazy and out of control, banning 'em like bit*h.

Anti-AFK Youtube
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Jonathan Paskiewicz wrote:Then now Blizzard is crazy and out of control, banning 'em like bit*h.
Blizzard never went out of control. Nearly all MMORPGs have using external programs like that a bannable offense. The reason that Blizzard bans the most is that WoW gets the most users.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

So.....does that mean Stresstest is a terrorist now? ;)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

The only reason a company bans is that their statistics show that they will lose more people if they don't ban. They are opting to loose $15/mo.

The people that get banned in WoW deserve it, and if the things that they did became common place, then the game would get ruined.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

WTF are people making anti-AFK devices, I thought the point of having a game was to play it. Or are these WoW idiots too embarrassed to admit that the game is crap?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

In battle grounds you get experience even if your team loses. So people set up systems to automatically join these battle grounds, to automatically get experience.

Blizzard will kick you from them if you are afk, i.e. not helping your team, and so deney you the expereince. Hence the afk machines. (In a recent patch it was fixed so that you only get experience if you engage someone in combat, so these don't work anymore).

This experience, or reputation, can be used to buy things. Weapons, mounts, etc. So doing this is like earning game money.

When I was playing WoW it was really common to have a few members on each team doing this.

People would set them up, go to work, and come home to a days worth of \"game income\".

Yes, extreamly lame.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Yeah... That sucks...
MD1985
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Damn I hate being an out of touch old fart.
What is AFK?
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Away From Keyboard. :)

In WoW, you'er \"afk\" after something like 5 minutes of inactivity and you're logged after something like 20.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Gooberman wrote:In a recent patch it was fixed so that you only get experience if you engage someone in combat, so these don't work anymore
good to hear.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

Ford Prefect wrote:What is AFK?
If you have more question about short words. Just go to... Urban Dictionary: Define Your World
MD1985
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well I got over my laziness and Googled it but your link didn't have it. :o
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Duper wrote:Away From Keyboard. :)

In WoW, you'er "afk" after something like 5 minutes of inactivity and you're logged after something like 20.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you know... i've never played WoW. Someone talk, sell it to me, is it good?
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

I think I need to review the Alphabet Song since I had trouble finding it in the Urban Dictionary. :?
I got it right away when I Googled it.
Clothes may make the man

-The Producers
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

roid wrote:you know... i've never played WoW. Someone talk, sell it to me, is it good?
Yeah, its very good. But you need to play it alot to go far in that game. I believe you can try it for 10 days for free with a character.

Like I said before, I don't know if its WoW, or all MMORPG's, but they take more time out of my life for gaming that I am willing to give up.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

bleh, i feared as much.

they need some kinda Virtual Reality RPG like portrayed in the Hack/sign anime, that's fun and rewarding no matter what.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

How about a game where you can fly around in spaceships, and the longer you play, the better at dodging you get and the better at aiming? Every character would gain exp. points at different rates and doing different things, and it would take a few more years to master (at least become as good as other players) than the year it would take for wow?