Descent 3 has bump mapping?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent 3 has bump mapping?

Post by Dakatsu »

I just found this out. Sadly, only a little bit is bump mapped.

If your D3 copy has Direct3D, start it up with the -bumped command line. If you look at someones colored bands on their ship, you can see the difference.

I am now looking through the textures, can someone tell me what they do to make those bump maps, as I cannot find a bump map texture in the game (I even checked the alpha map)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

*edit*
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

-bumped was added by patch 1.1, so maybe they're not in the main data files.

Or maybe they're just using the texture itself.

-z32bit is nice, too.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

your going to confuse people with that babble - shaggy

HOW TO: enable Bumpmapping (D3D Feature only in Descent 3) mostly for singlepayer use

Run D3 in Direct 3D Mode(not OpenGL)

add the following D3D ONLY commandline arguments :

-bumped -z32bit -nooutdoorfog
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think the question is where Descent 3 is storing them and how it invokes them. I, for one, always thought it was strange that the ships had bump maps, but none of the environments did. Makes those high-res Pyros look really ugly and superimposed.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Well, Kyouryuu, that is what I was wondering. I think it would be great if someone, aka me, could create bump maps for the enviroment. It shouldn't be too hard in terms of creating a texture, but I have no idea where the bump maps are, or even what they are (if you don't know already, a traditional bump map is a white image with black to indicate depth. Thing is I don't see any of these in the D3 files.).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

have you checked the model textures? the ones that need wrapping? There are 2 different sets of model textures. one set for faces and one a wrap set. not sure why; never really thought about it till now.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

a feature that was never fully realized before deadline?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:have you checked the model textures? the ones that need wrapping? There are 2 different sets of model textures. one set for faces and one a wrap set. not sure why; never really thought about it till now.
Two different sets? Where is the second set? I extracted all of the oofs and ogfs from d3.hog and merc.hog, and I don't see a second set (and when I view the oofs in oofeditor/viewer, it doesn't say anything about that).

I hope though it isn't the texture itself that is bump mapped, or that you can only do it for ships and robots. I really now am interested in getting some extra graphical detail by adding bump maps to everything.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

In the editor when you call up the textures selecting ALL the textures, you will see that there are some that are layed out flat like someone smashed the bot and there are white lines that are connecting the face textures at the corners and such. Then there are separate textures for the same bot only for the individual faces.

I have no idea how the D3 Editor calls up and displays the textures in the program. You might want to ask Atan. He's about the only person that's had recent XP with working with the editor.

I think Wolf hit the nail on the head. It was something they implemented after the fact just to make gold date. The BP was there long before the add-on was released.