I won 2 games in 2 servers today/tonight

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I won 2 games in 2 servers today/tonight

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I won 2 games in 2 servers in one day.
1. I won at the Abend 2 server- I got 38 points, but I've got 46 deaths and 43 kills.
2. I won at the Skybox Evolution server- I got 76 kills, 69 deaths, and 75 points
Man, have I been trichording alot or what?

Here are my results in screenshot form:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

[Edited to avoid dashing all of Sapphire Wolf's dreams to pieces]

Always remember, it's all about the kills-to-deaths ratio! ;)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

lol, seconded. still, CONGRADULATIONS!

Keep up the good work my man.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Um... trichording doesn't win games... it's a move.

Other thing is, the significance of winning games depends on your opposition. It's quite easy to beat newbies (or pilots with little potential), but if they have some skill it's more impressive. Other thing is, I gauge a good pilot by their efficiency more than their kill count - people can join a game late.

Unfortunately, I don't recognise most of these players so I have no idea how good they are.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Oh okay. I persume it's like combining rolling, sliding, and turning(and acceleration). I keep forgeting something like for example, the Trichord is a technique.
:oops:

Thanks for the correction of Trichording being a technique.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Sirius wrote:Unfortunately, I don't recognise most of these players so I have no idea how good they are.
Same here the only name I recognize is Grendel's.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Generally if you can tri-chord reliably you've mastered piloting the ship sufficiently that you aren't held back any more by what you can do... it's not the end of the game though! Tactics and out-thinking opponents comprises the rest of the journey, and it's something you never get perfect at.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

[holds back all sarcasm]

congrats on chucking and lagging to the top of rhe heap

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I think that second one was that Skybox EVO in which I came in late. Still that many players in Skybox EVO. That was fun has hell :twisted:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

C'mon, guys. We were all in his position at one time, winning our first games. Let him enjoy it.

Sapphire, they're right about ratio, and measuring your game by the competition. I recognize a number of the the names there, but the ones to watch are the players who have the best ratio (ex: Kaboo-Hahahein in the screenshots above). Pay attention to how those guys play.

[Note: Krom will likely make the disclaimer that 'kills/deaths ratio' is not always the best indicator, because you also need to learn to keep your 'kills-per-hour' up (you don't want to become a chuck-and-runner who avoids fights)... and he's right. Engage yourself with the best players, even it your ratio takes a hit; you'll learn more quickly that way.]

They're also right that it's not necessarily about your trichording/movement ability. When I started playing multiplayer D3, I had been playing single-player Descent for nearly ten years, so I knew how to trichord and move... but I got my butt kicked online at first.

It really boils down to experience, and that's why you're continuing to improve. Keep playing, and keep learning, and you'll continue to get better. I guarantee it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Damn, how did you know I would say it isn't all about the kills/deaths ratio foil? :P

Well anyway it is anarchy so I would disagree with the idea that its all about efficiency, it is about pure kills and nothing else. You can win an anarchy with less than 50% as long as you still have the most kills. A better ratio makes it easier, but in the end even if you manage 100% efficiency if you have 99 kills in a game to 100 points and someone else gets there first: you still lose. But keeping a solid efficiency around 70% or higher makes feeding a hungry kills-per-hour machine a lot easier so it is something to work for.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Krom wrote:Damn, how did you know I would say it isn't all about the kills/deaths ratio foil? :P
Because you've said it before, and I remember specifically because I play with a very aggressive style (sometimes too much for my own good) similar to how I've seen you describe your own.

I'm not sure if I've ever played you, though... maybe when you were under an alias?
Krom wrote:Well anyway it is anarchy so I would disagree with the idea that its all about efficiency, it is about pure kills and nothing else.
True.

In Anarchy, it's pure kills/hour. (But keeping a good efficiency helps with this.)

However, in TEAM Anarchy (1v1 is a variation of this), efficiency is virtually everything, because you have to have more kills than your opponent to win.

In CTF, it's all about flags. Having a good efficiency helps your team, but the best flag-scoring players sometimes have <50% efficiency because they don't always stop to dogfight, and press the other team.

Entropy is of course heavy on efficiency, too. You gotta be able to get multiple kills without the other guys getting them on you.

Hoard... is just insane.

JailBreak... (oh, wait, that one is still in development) ;)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Krom wrote:Well anyway it is anarchy so I would disagree with the idea that its all about efficiency, it is about pure kills and nothing else. You can win an anarchy with less than 50% as long as you still have the most kills. A better ratio makes it easier, but in the end even if you manage 100% efficiency if you have 99 kills in a game to 100 points and someone else gets there first: you still lose. But keeping a solid efficiency around 70% or higher makes feeding a hungry kills-per-hour machine a lot easier so it is something to work for.
Well, I concede that point, I think you're right.

Still, I maintain that it's a hollow victory if you don't hold a good ratio.

(maybe we could come up with a new scoring system for anarchy...)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Still, I maintain that it's a hollow victory if you don't hold a good ratio.
I don't necessarily agree. If I'm playing a bunch of guys who are generally better than I am, but I can get to the kill-goal faster by playing aggressive, it's pretty satisfying.

(Had that happen last Wednesday, in a game to 100 in Damage with a guys like Grendel, WhollyCow^BoTS^, DwnUndr... I held barely over a 50% ratio, but won the game.)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

In anarchy, playing to win is never my main focus. Playing well is mymain focus. And since holding a good eff. is usually a better indicator of playing well than winning, I go for a good eff.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Kill vs Death ratio is the way to judge how good you are. I mean you can take out 3 people when your ship explodes or when you commit suicide by throwing a mega at someone and killing yourself in the process.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: I won 2 games in 2 servers today/tonight

Post by Bet51987 »

Sapphire Wolf wrote:I won 2 games in 2 servers in one day.
Congratulations :)

Bettina

P.S. Next time we engage, I plan to hurt you.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Kill vs Death ratio is the way to judge how good you are.
No, I have to agree with Krom on this one, you also have to look at kills/hour.

Yeah, I could get 70%+ efficiency in most games just by playing conservative, chuck'n'run, and avoiding heavy engagements... but why? So I can look at my score at the end and say, "Yeah, he was 100-78, but I was 22-5!"? Heck, no; that's a boring way to play, and you learn very little from it.
Money! wrote:...since holding a good eff. is usually a better indicator of playing well than winning, I go for a good eff.
I try to keep a good efficiency as well, but mostly because 'not dying' helps in pretty much everything.

But then there are games where I'm just having fun, and I decide that I'd like to see "Foil" at the top of the list, so I start playing agressive (which is that much more fun!). 8)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yes there is also the time factor but overall kill vs death ratio is more accurate to the skill level you are. I've joined games late and within 20 min was almost at the top in kills and still kept 60% eff.

Not everyone can play for hours anymore.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Foil wrote: I don't necessarily agree. If I'm playing a bunch of guys who are generally better than I am, but I can get to the kill-goal faster by playing aggressive, it's pretty satisfying.
Bunyip believes in this.
hah.
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WhollyCow »

Foil wrote:...last Wednesday, in a game to 100 in Damage with a guys like Grendel, WhollyCow^BoTS^, DwnUndr... I held barely over a 50% ratio, but won the game.
So you did, Mr. Namedropper. By one point. :P :wink:

I agree that kills per hour is a somewhat better statistic than efficiency, but keep in mind that it's relative. A newbie lobbing missiles in Skybox will get more kills per hour than skilled pilots playing 1 on 1.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Foil wrote:"Yeah, he was 100-78, but I was 22-5!"
Exactly, ask yourself who is going to make the bigger impression on the other players in the game. The one who mauled them repeatedly and managed 100 points in 20 minutes, or the one that they rarely ran into and managed 22-5 in the same time span?

Efficiency is more a measure of your ability to avoid damage and stay alive in fights. When I used to fly the Pyro only I ran as much as 10% higher efficiency than when I switched to the Magnum and aggressive style, but my ability to take down and hold a good efficiency against tougher pilots improved dramatically. By throwing reason to the curb and approaching every fight like I was invulnerable I was able to overpower other players and styles that I previously couldn't match.

Flying the GL people used to say they had really good fights with me that took a lot of precision flying and were high tension white knuckle dog fights. When I switched to the Tank the fights changed to something like playing chicken against a loaded 200 car freight train going downhill. My kills per hour more than doubled but my deaths per hour more than tripled, yet nobody would deny that I was much stronger than before.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Just kill.
What else could there be to it?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

In anarchy, the game tracks kills minus suicides. Therefore, the winning condition is to have the most kills minus suicides when the game ends. There's no reason to make it any more complicated than that...

If your goal is something other than \"winning\", your tactics will change. But as long as your goal is \"winning\" anarchy games, efficiency is secondary.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

i'd like to add that kph/ is dominated by how many people are playing with you.

in a 3-5 person game i could get around 150 maybe 175 if i wanted whereas in a halcyon with around 4-5 guys on the other side it's gotten up to around 250

another thing, kph is not totally independant from efficiancy either, it depends on how much you're willing to engage in open fights that are already occuring and how much you stay in the busy spots of the level.

thats why someone like bunyip, cloud or krom would do fine in anarchy with me
they're all very fast guys in anarchy.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zero! »

Behemoth wrote:Just kill.
x2
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Just play one on one, then it will be clear as day who is really better.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Zero! wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Just kill.
x2
x3... Just keep having fun S.W. :)

Bee
Cloud