Rats... I hate rats...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Rats... I hate rats...

Post by BigSlideHimself »

So I left town for a month over Christmas, leaving my little efficiency to fend for itself. When I returned - mouse/rat crap EVERYWHERE along with the carpet under my doorway ripped to sunshine.

I've never dealt with mice before.

So I go online, do some research: poison pellets are bad because the mouse could die anywhere, stinking up your place, glue traps are bad, because they're inhumane (can something technically be inhumane if it's against a non-human), and the old tried and true snaptrap seemed to be the community favorite.

I got to the store, and realized I couldn't stomach snaptraps. Yes they're more humane with the instant death they relinquish, but what about being humane to me? I don't want to see a broken mouse - or worse - a decapitated rat head rolling past my door.

So I went with the glue traps. I know it was a horrible thing to do and I felt a pang of guilt when I set them out - but I figure since I check the traps at least once a day, and will kill whatever I catch it isn't that bad right?

Similarly, I bought 4 closed traps - these are tiny little 'homes' that when the mouse climbs in, it closes on them - so you never have to see the pest. In reflection, however, I think this is somewhat less humane than the glue traps right? I mean, the mousey is still alive in there, but in the dark, with no easy way to kill it. I guess if I catch one in there I will drown it.

I say all of this to tell you this: I just saw The Rat. We locked eyes, and when you stare into the abyss I can assuredly say it stares right back into you. I went into my kitchen to check the traps - thinking the culprit was a wee white mouse - when I saw this grey montrosity lumber across the floor and dart under the oven. My heart stopped. My stomach wretched. I've never dealt with this before.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

So how will I catch Cthulu with my mere mortal machinations?

That's what I'm in the process of figuring out. I found a Rue Goldberg style apparatus that drops the rat into a vat of water Dr. No style, and I as of now this is my next option.

Seriously, they don't design traps to handle the likes of this one. So I'm left to my own devices.

Stay tuned.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Get a cat, so natural selection occurs with little or no cleanup to do
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

UPDATE!

I put some peanut butter in the middle of the glue trap, and left for an hour and a half. I came back, and the glue trap was gone. I found it 10 ft away by the cabinet for the kitchen sink covered in fur and crap.

Those glue traps are very very sticky, but apparently the rat was stronger. So I put some weight against the cabinet doors so it couldn't get back in.

I need to rethink my strategy.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

WTF kinda ghetto you live in that you have rats? :P

Seriously, you need to get the larger rat traps and not mice traps. Rat or mouse dropping have been found to carry the Hanta virus so the quicker you cure the rat problem the better.

While I don't have rats, I do have mice that come in during the winter. Spring trap with a large yellow paddle for the trigger (don't need to put bait on it) works well.

If all else fails I'll rent you my Madagascar Dumeril's Boa and she will get the rat. :wink:
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Hell, I'll ship you a few of our barn cats. Your rat problem will be solved quickly.

HOWEVER, you will have to keep the said barn cats as we have too many of them here.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

BigSlideHimself wrote:UPDATE!

I put some peanut butter in the middle of the glue trap, and left for an hour and a half. I came back, and the glue trap was gone. I found it 10 ft away by the cabinet for the kitchen sink covered in fur and crap.

Those glue traps are very very sticky, but apparently the rat was stronger. So I put some weight against the cabinet doors so it couldn't get back in.

I need to rethink my strategy.
Helpful hint: You're not supposed to wear it as a hat. ;)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

!!> Clean: pull out the fridge and stove, empty the cabinets. Put all food in rodent proof containers.
!!> Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink, or anywhere else.
!!> Seal all the openings around pipes, etc, with expanding foam sealant. If you can get the foam to spray into the space under the cabinets, do so. Try sticking the nozzle between the kick and the floor, and over the top of the kick. Rodents can squeeze through very small openings. Check in the basement or crawl space too, if you have one.
Helpful hint: You're not supposed to wear it as a hat. Wink
True. Rats, especially live rats, should never be worn on your head.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Expanding foam will NOT stop mice or rats, they'll chew right through it. In fact, they'll shred it and use it for bedding.

Stuff all entry points snug with tightly crumpled up aluminum foil. They don't like the taste and it's hard to get through. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Here is an idea: buy a regular old rat trap and forget being humane. Just screw it down somewhere where the blood won't stain. If you can't screw it to the floor, at least attach it to a heavy board or something, you don't want a half dead rat dragging the trap all over your kitchen bleeding on everything. And I've never seen a spring trap decapitate a mouse or rat so don't worry about it, they work instantly but they aren't *that* strong. Trust me catching it on a sticky trap and then crushing it or drowning it is far less humane and a lot harder to clean up after.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Move.

That would guarantee the necessary cleaning, and also get you away from The Rat (assuming you don't accidentally pack it)... and would save you from having to put it out of it's misery (is it in misery when it's healthy?).
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Yes, I'm told they are very miserable creatures.
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

Learn how to play the flute :lol:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ats_2.html

or ... maybe tell your landlord?

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Great suggestions all around.

I will follow the foil-in-the-hole advice. I've also heard steal wool works well.

I'm about to go out of town again for a week, so I have to stop Baldy (he's missing half his fur from the glue trap) before he gets complete run of the place.

I put a bookshelf against the kitchen cabinet so he can't get out. Then I put a box of poison pellets inside the cabinet, so he'll still have a snack when he realizes his new buffet his closed for renovations.

How come noone told me these things can jump up to 4ft? I have an island in my kitchen, that had a box of can goods and a bag of flour inside. Baldy had jumped up there, tore through the side of the box, and into the flour, that was what he's been living on. I keep almost no food in the house besides this box of can goods.

I'll keep you all appraised. Thanks again.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

That should stop it dead in its tracks.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Sounds like this problem occured when you left for a month. Could it be possible that something wasn't secured properly and the rat discovered it and got in?

Just do some excessive cleaning. More than likely while you're doing that cleaning you'll find out how he/she got in.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Rats... I hate rats...

Post by Top Wop »

BigSlideHimself wrote:I say all of this to tell you this: I just saw The Rat. We locked eyes, and when you stare into the abyss I can assuredly say it stares right back into you.
I know the feeling, we had a field mouse invade our dorm room last year, and I spotted him in the corner as soon as I closed the bathroom door. We just stood still and stared at each other for a good 30 seconds. :P

Mice can only jump up to by about a foot, they are avid climbers however.

You want to solve the problem, but you are having trouble doing so because you want to do it the 'humane' way. Theres nothing non-humane about killing a rodent carrying disease and viruses. Quit fooling around and being a sissy and get a real rat trap. :P Its impossible for the rat to be decapitated by such a thing, theres not enough force to do that (if there was you'd loose your finger trying to set it up!) If you're concerned about blood you can put a piece of cardboard under it. Then after he's caught take him outside and bury him.

Do it the proper way or dont do it at all.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

TopWop, I couldn't agree more. Baldy is forcing me to take things to the next level. This guy is relentless.

After he escaped the glue trap, I put some weight against the cabinet doors to the kitchen sink - his entry point. I also put some poison pellets in there for him to snack on.

Tonight, however, I opened the cabinet, to find that he had been chewing through the wood of the cabinet - wood shavings everywhere. He didn't get through as far as I could tell, but it's only a matter of time until he does. So with haste I am going to the store to arm up. Snaptraps, gluetraps, whatever they have. I'm going out of town for 2 weeks and I will not allow him free reign of my place again! It's so invasive knowing that Baldy has been in every inch of my house, in my bed, on my clothes, taking dumps in every corner.

I checked the poison pellets and it appears that he ate some. I don't know if he ate enough for death, but even if he did it can take up to 5 days for him to die - plenty of time for him to funnel through and do damage.

It ends now.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

This is such a great read :P
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

bad idea with the poison.

If indeed the large rodent has eaten enough to cause his demise he could end up dying in a spot where you cannot find him and soon will cause a distinct funky odor to eminate from his decomposing carcas.

The poisons are really meant to be used on rodents that are in non(human) dwellings such as garages, barns and storage sheds.

I have to agree with Krom. a rat trap will do the job quickly and is far more humane then a glue trap or poisoning.
Then again, the thought of the little bugger writhing and wrentching in overwelming pain eminating from his stomach while the poison slowly works it's way through his system can bring a certain satisfaction when doing those many little repairs on the damage he has caused your dwelling.

Hope you solve your problem soon!
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Here is some additional incentive to get rid of your little rat buddy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080115/sc_ ... _threat_dc
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Discard your sense of humanity and do what any other species with an invaded home would do: seek out and kill.

It's only a natural sense of security to protect your home from what you feel would destroy your secured environment. :P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Do not let the rat roam while noone is there ! If you can't get the rodent before you leave, give an exterminator access to your place (direct or via a friend) and have him take care of the pest.
ImageImage
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by ccb056 »

Grendel wrote:Do not let the rat roam while noone is there ! If you can't get the rodent before you leave, give an exterminator access to your place (direct or via a friend) and have him take care of the pest.
Mercenary for hire, I like the idea :)
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

Haha how is this for humane! I took my gun yesterday and blew the living crap out of a little mouse I found running around the house ccb got the right idea lol.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Time for new drywall again, Fire?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Cuda68 wrote:Get a cat, so natural selection occurs with little or no cleanup to do
X2!

I have two year old kittens I am trying to find a home for if you are interested.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I once shot a mouse in the yard with my .22 rimfire rifle. I remember it vanishing as dirt flew up in the air from where it used to be.

Found some \"splatter\" from it 15 feet away on the side of the house. Instagib. :P There was also an innocent bystander casualty, my dad had to go take a shower... And you thought hitting them with a lawnmower was messy.

Like I said, spring traps are the easiest to clean up after... ;)
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Heh... when we were kids, we used to get a rubber band and paper clips and lie in wait in the barn... classic. :twisted:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

ccb056 wrote:http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... /18945.jpg
That should stop it dead in its tracks.
Or you could just hang up posters of Chuck Norris in an attack pose. ;)
Krom wrote:I once shot a mouse in the yard with my .22 rimfire rifle. I remember it vanishing as dirt flew up in the air from where it used to be.

Found some "splatter" from it 15 feet away on the side of the house. Instagib. :P There was also an innocent bystander casualty, my dad had to go take a shower... And you thought hitting them with a lawnmower was messy.

Like I said, spring traps are the easiest to clean up after... ;)
So....I take it that you're the one that showed AceCombat how to shoot that mexican's leg off? ;)
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Update!

I stocked up at the store tonight, and when I came home, the second I stepped into the kitchen I could hear Baldy rustling around in the cabinets and then the familiar \"hollow hustle\" sound of him exiting by the pipe under the counter.

Despite me blocking his access to the kitchen, he hasn't given up - good. However, he's been busy too. I opened the cabinets to find that he had been gnawing on the wood like crazy - behind both cabinet doors, and he even climbed up to the silverware drawer and tore away some of the wood up there. Fortunately I never ever use my kitchen, I don't keep any food, plates, silverware anywhere in there. I live a nomadic lifestyle and I'm home about 2 weeks out of the month. Baldy is relentless, and he's not easily dissuaded, it's only a matter of time before he gets through.

PHASE 1: Clean Slate

I bought a host of cleaning supplies at the store. I swept and mopped the entire kitchen area extensively. Then swept out the sink cabinets where he's been getting in - filthy. He's been doing some damage in there.

I cleaned for a couple of reasons. First off, it was disgusting in there. Rats, man, it's amazing they seem to eat so little and poop so much - everywhere they walk they just leave a trail like a little street striper. I also cleaned so I would know if he had gained access to the kitchen area.

PHASE 2: The Board is Set

I bought a host of rat-sized snap traps and glue traps. I did some research on what bait works best, and decided on bananas and a chocolate donut. I had used peanutbutter before on the glue trap, but since he escaped under stress I can only imagine, I'm afraid he might associate peanut butter with traps and avoid them.

His entry hole is under the sink as mentioned - next to the main drain pipe where a hole in the wall has been dug out. I taped a glue trap to a wooden board, and slipped the glue trap directly under the hole. I've heard rats don't see too well and my hope is he will just dart out of the hole - business as usual - and find himself plastered. I fixed my mistake from last time- the trap is secured. I put another one right next to the other - it's cramped in there, and I don't see how he could avoid one and not the other - then again, he's surprised me before and I can't underestimate him.

If he makes it past this first line of defense, I have installed snaptraps in each cabinet below the sink. He has gnawed in both of them and so I know he frequents both. One snap trap has banana impaled over the switch, so when he tugs on it snap. The other has donut in case banana isn't his preference. Another glue trap is in the other cabinet.

Next, I put a glue trap in the drawer he had been working on today. It's very cramped in there, and there will be no way he can get past it. The drawer is slightly cracked letting some light in - hope - and this is where he was digging before. It's an old drawer and I have to use much force to even budge it so it won't move.

Third line of defense - another snap trap and glue trap in the kitchen area - in areas he frequents. There is a box that he dug a hole through to get through the flour - Baldy really loves flour - and my estimation is it was his food source over Christmas. Not aiming to disappoint, I put a snaptrap where the flour used to be, with some tasty flower covering the switch.

Fourth line of defense - if he makes it past all of these traps - or my biggest fear - he finds an entry point somewhere else, I have put a glue trap and snap trap in my room

PHASE 3: The Pieces are Moving

Rats are neophobic, and they are highly suspicious of anything new. Baldy has my place mapped out very well, but I've done an exquisite job of cleaning and leaving the traps as the only food source.

I am leaving for a week and a half. Yes I realize if he's caught while I'm gone he will stink to high heaven, but like Thoreau once said, \"What is called resignation is confirmed desperation\". I need to kill him now or never. Phase 4 will be just moving out and letting Baldy take over the lease.

Stay tuned
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

Did someone say Mercenary for hire? :lol:

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Baldy is dead.

I went into my kitchen this morning and there he was, laying on a snaptrap with the plybard halfway into his skull, eyes bulging, arms erect.It was a sorry sight and I stood there for a moment getting past my initial shock of seeing him up close, with some sense of loss (of purpose) but mostly exhilaration. It really is something to think about, and I've thought about it most of this morning: here is this life, obviously intelligent, his only will to survive, and in an instant it was snuffed out. It's really something.

Beyond that, Baldy is even bigger than I previously stated, His body was at least 6 inches long, with his tail adding another 5-6 inches, really he dwarfed the rat-sized slaptrap he was under.

The mystery now is how he got in. I had to leave for school and didn't have the time to investigate, but he didn't come in through the cabinets like he previously did, and I had shored up the hole behind the oven- although I will have to check to see if he did indeed make it past that barricade.

Last night before I went to bed I heard him making a ton of noise in there, and when I went in I expected he was caught in the sea of glue traps beneath the sink, but when I opened the door there was nothing. I looked down to see one of my cans had the paper ripped off.

I can only assume that after a few days of not being able to gnaw through the cabinets, or perhaps later being put off by the sent of glue traps under his emerging hole, he found another way.

So sure of myself last night that I nearly didn't put up a second line of defense, thinking the myriad of traps and gauntlets under the sink would do the job. It's a good thing I did. Baldy apparently loves chocolate donuts with little peanuts on top.

I'm going to leave the rest of the traps out while I'm gone for 2 weeks. Where there's one there's usually more, and I can't let all of that setup go to waste.

With this chapter closed, I wonder what I will do with myself.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Aye, pretty much nothing works better than a snap trap. I wouldn't even bother with the sticky traps next time, they only work on mice not foot long rats. And if it hit it on the head then the rat never felt a thing, it was dead before the trap bounced back to the floor.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Oh I have an idea, lets just be assholes to rats! :P
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Dang, I hoped he would have lasted longer before being snuffed out. I really looked forward to this thread every night when I logged in with the blow by blows taking place.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lets send more rats to his house, strap cameras to them, and sell the tv rights
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

roid wrote:lets send more rats to his house, strap cameras to them, and sell the tv rights
Excellant! Rat Cam!
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

just be glad you didn't have one of these
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

roid wrote:lets send more rats to his house, strap cameras to them, and sell the tv rights
Big Brother's Rat House

Starring: Ratatouille