Descent 1 Level Recreation in Unreal 2004: RELEASED!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1 Level Recreation in Unreal 2004: RELEASED!

Post by sushi.h.a. »

The final version is done!
See the current UT2004 D1-L1 Page

Please note that I will now be updating the page at the link above.

==========================(The post below is now

obsolete.)
I’m finally releasing a nearly completed (prerelease) version. I am putting this version up for download so that people can see what the level looks like in real-time.

I hope everyone enjoys the level as it is thus far.
With luck, the arrival of summer will make further work on this project a substantially less arduous task.

Important:
You MUST set your World Detail settings to maximum in the ut2004 settings to see all the effects!

Download:
ut2004_D1_L1_Prerelease2.zip - 23.5 MB
(prerelease 2 resolves map list issue)

To Install This Map:
Extract \"DM-Descent1-level1-v13-b8-prerelease.ut2\" into your Maps folder. (Note: This is usually \"C:\\UT2004\\Maps\".)
That’s it.

My Reactive Light Mesh Technology:
This is the first major implementation of the “Reactive Light Mesh” technology I created while working on this level. I desided to incorporate it after seeing the results in a number of smaller test levels I created.

You may notice that unlike conventional light fixtures in ut2004, all the light fixtures in this map glow exactly the same color as the light they are supposed to be emitting, and that specifically only the bulb surface actually glows. (Notably unlike the “bSpecialLit” effect which causes the characteristic dingy discoloration of the entire fixture)

Reactive Light Meshes are light fixture static meshes that automatically glow the same color as a light actor placed near them, (Instead of glowing white like they would normally). This means that if you have for example a dark room lit by row of red lights, you can use Reactive Light Meshes as the light fixture static meshes, place a red light actor next to each one, and the Light bulb surface of each Reactive Light Mesh will automatically glow a bright red. If you want to change the color to blue, simply change the light actor to emit a blue color and the Reactive Light Meshes will instantly be glowing exactly the same bright blue as you used for the light actors.
Additionally because of the manner in which Reactive Light Meshes work, they don’t have the sloppy look of the \"bSpecialLit\" method.

If you are interested in how this works, I have built a small tutorial explaining how to create and use Reactive Light Meshes.
Link: http://files.filefront.com/Sushi_Tutori ... einfo.html

In Editor:
Some of the icons in the editor may not look familiar to you. This is because I have built many of my own light actor icons which if you’re interested can be downloaded here.
My light icons:
Link: http://files.filefront.com/sushi_Light_ ... einfo.html

Here are 77 screenshots of the level as of the most current version.
(Note: Each image is numbered for ease of reference in comments.)

---
---
---
---
---
---
---

Take care everyone.
-sushi
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

WOW!!! :shock:

Well done sushi.h.a.!!
Looks incredibly awesome! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your hard work on this lvl - even if it is a pre released version. ;)
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

That's freakin' gorgeous.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

That is insanely awesome. Well done!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

WOW!!!! Can someone close my eye lids please?

edit: Ok, I've unzippped it into my ut2004/maps folder but I can't see it in the game.
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

I’m very much appreciate the feedback everyone.

With regard to the issue you mentioned CDN_Merlin:
Thanks for pointing that out. It should appear in the DeathMatch maps list under the name \"DM-Descent1-level1-v13-b6-prerelease\". Sorry, in my haste to get everything written up and uploaded I forgot to mention that. (My fault.) I’ll place that above information in the “Install” section of the main post just to be safe. I hope that helps out. I just downloaded and installed the map myself to be sure, and it seems to work. Please feel let me know if you run into any further problems.
Take care everyone.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have extracted the file to my ut2004/maps folder. i start Ut2004 but it neither shows up in instant action or hosting a multi game.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Dats pimp dawg, its off da chain fo reel!
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Thanks again for the comments.

CDN_Merlin thanks for letting me know you’re still having trouble seeing the map. I just tried downloading and installing the level again, and it still seem to work on my computer, so its possible that something more complex is occurring on your computer.

The version that appears in the list below I just downloaded and installed again. (after first removing the previous version and checking to verify that it no longer showed up in the menu.)

Try the following:
1: If you have two or more hard drives, be sure that you saved the level file to ut2004 folder hierarchy on the correct drive. (Though I doubt this is the case.)

2: Check inside the actual UT2004\\Maps folder to verify that the map file “DM-Descent1-level1-v13-b6-prerelease.ut2” is physically there. (It is possible that it ended up in the wrong place, or that it was extracted to a subfolder with the name of the zip file, namely “ut2004-D1-L1-Prerelease1”.)

3: If neither of the above appear to be the problem, you determine weather the zip file or the map file were somehow corrupted during the download or extraction by running the UT2004 map editor and launching the map directly from the editor. To do this, go to the UT2004\\System folder and run the “UnrealEd.exe”. (Sorting files in the System folder by “Type” may make it easier to find UnrealEd.exe.). Next, from the top menu bar select File > Open, and open “DM-Descent1-level1-v13-b6-prerelease.ut2”. Now, to launch the map, from the top menu bar select Build > Play Level. If the map has not been corrupted ut2004 should launch and drop you directly into the map.

Hope that helps out. Again, feel free to let me know if problems persist.

More comments are welcome.
Thanks again.
-sushi
:)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

1 and 2 are fine, 3 worked. But it did give me this error.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I have extracted the file to my ut2004/maps folder. i start Ut2004 but it neither shows up in instant action or hosting a multi game.
Now that I've reinstalled UT2004 and updated.

I'm getting that same prob. :(

Though I managed to launch the lvl from the editor, but thats about it for now. ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Maybe we have a more updated version?
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

After examining the error image you posted I believe I have isolated the problem you have been experiencing.

The texture 'ONSBPTextures.fX.Flair1Alpha' (ultimately Flair1Alpha) is included in a texture package bundled with the UT2004 ECE expansion (i.e. adds the Cicada, SPMA, and Paladin among other things).

It was being used by the reactor stream emitter. In the image below you can see this texture selected, and the emitter reference I ultimately found.

I have uploaded a new version (v13 b8) which embeds this texture in the myLevel package so that you will NOT have to go download the ECE expansion in order for this level to display properly.
Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

You can download this new release from the link below, or back at the top of this thread. (Of course you can always update to ECE or Mega Pack, but those are both huge downloads.)
Download:
ut2004-D1-L1-Prerelease2.zip

Thanks again CDN_Merlin for posting the error image.
Let me know if this version works out.
Take care everyone.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

AWESOME, works like a charm now. Thanks. Man I wish it was easy to do cause I'd start requesting other Descent levels.

Only thing I'd add is more weapons.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:AWESOME, works like a charm now. Thanks. Man I wish it was easy to do cause I'd start requesting other Descent levels.
X2! :D
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Glad to here it works. :)

As for weapons, after completing the base map I will likely first build a deathmatch version of the level, though I also plan to release an Onslaught (on foot) playable version, and a Capture The Flag version. Of course in the Onslaught version one of the power cores will have to be the reactor. :D

As an aside, I will be visiting relatives starting tomorrow, and I will be returning on Sunday a weak from now (9th). Feel free to continue posting comments, and I will respond upon my return, (or sooner if I happen upon a means during the vacation).
Take care everyone.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Alright, here is a bug:
I shot the reactor about ten times with a rail gun, and the reactor didn't die OR the exit didn't open.

I hope you have an explanation! :P
CDN_Merlin wrote:AWESOME, works like a charm now. Thanks. Man I wish it was easy to do cause I'd start requesting other Descent levels.

Only thing I'd add is more weapons.
You don't have ECE... if you play online, I would HIGHLY recommend downloading the Editors Choice Edition and the Community Bonus Packs/Community Map Packs. Saves hours of downloading!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I'd like to have this map uploaded on the Invasion server I play on. But I'll wait for the weapons to be added. Also great work it just feels a little weird walking on foot.
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Regarding the destructibility of the reactor, I don’t think a shock rifle is going to cut it. Note the label...

(Just kidding) :)
Although, now that I made a warring label I’m considering putting a small version somewhere on the reactor.

I am working on a version of the pre-release now that contains weapons, and this will probably be the next version I put up for download.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Can't wait for the weapons to be added!
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

I am presently working on a 6DOF mod for Unreal Tournament 2004. I plan to build both a plain Descent and a GroupC version. Completion is a ways off, however I do have a few screen shots of working 6DOF flight in the ut2004 Descent1 Level1 I have been working on. The new ship object class I built is based on the karma vehicle code, and is presently called \"Descent Pyro\". As the \"Descent Pyro\" is its own vehicle class, I hope to be able to build in all the basic functionality in to this base class, and then extend it into a table modifiable ship class, much like the system Descent3. The main difference is that the objects built on the \"Descent Pyro\" will be extensible.

Note the bottom right of image 1. For current testing purposes, the Descent Pyro is spawned from a translocation beacon. The remaining images are in flight print screens. The ship model is currently just a standard ut2004 vehicle model. Note that all the shots are taken at roll-tilted angles (i.e. “Banking” from descent) that are not possible from UT2004 vehicles such as the raptor. Likewise, using this new vehicle object you can collide with a wall without instantly exploding, which is not possible with the UT2004 space fighter vehicles. Presently I am working on getting the thrust, reveres, and sliding functionality to behave in a pyro-like fashion.

Finally, I expect to be building a similar mod and perhaps descent levels for UT3 (a.k.a. UT2007), but I will not be abandoning my current work on UT2004. The new UT3 fully supports some of the features I have been finding ways to mimic UT2004, and some effects that simply can’t be mimicked in 2004, such as parallax mapping. I am looking forwards to being able to build classic game level recreations (descent series included of course) with the power of the new UT engine.

As an aside, I have also recently been considering building some levels for Descent 2 and 3. I would likely be building the majority of the textures used in any Descent 2 levels I made (just for fun).

Images of my modified 6DOF flight vehicle in action.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

Take care everyone.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

WOW sushi.h.a!
Thats just awesome bud!!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
Best of luck to you, and keep up the good work! ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Any plans to port this to UT3?
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Sorry about the lengthy delay everyone. I’ve been working on a seemingly larger and larger load of projects.
With regard to this project, I have been working on building tutorials for much of the original technology and editing methods I created for this level. Some of it I have implemented in the prerelease, such as the Reactive Light Meshes (RLM Tutorial. Note: On the 3DBuzz Forums I go by 'Fisholith'.), and some I have successfully tested but have not yet to implement. Such as Illusionary Fluid Buffer Lensing, and Radial and Zoom Blur volumes. Upon completion, the level should have quite a few effects and world components no other ut2004 level has, all of which I will make publicly available with tutorials upon release.

Among other things, I have been working on, I have been learning both the UT3 (a.k.a. UT2007) editor, and the Crysis CryENGINE 2 editor.

That said, in answer to your question Duper; Yes, I plan to port both the UT2004 Level and the mod project to UT3. Thanks for asking. I do not however plan to stop working on the UT 2004 version of the level, and I am in fact working on the 2004 level as I write this. (... I just moved a light...) Additionally, I am looking into Porting the level to Crysis as well. Both the UT3 and Crysis versions of this level, I plan to rebuild from scratch, but I will keep the vast majority of the feel and architecture I have built into the UT2004 version.

Before I ramble for too long, let me interject that I appreciate the comments Aus-RED-5 and Duper.

Feel free to post any questions or comments regarding the level or its potential future incarnations.
Finally, as always despite the level’s work-in-progress status, any comments or criticisms are welcome. Feed back is always welcome, and indeed generally aids in my deciding where to focus my efforts for further construction and development.

Take care everyone.