My best shot of a Hawk.

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

My best shot of a Hawk.

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Sweet. I really like that shot!

Is there a story around it? what lens?

I need a shot like that in my portfolio but whenever i see a bird in the sky i can't find it when looking through the lens before it flys away and adjust focus and all that.
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mistercool2 »

Good work! 8) How did you accomplish the background? Nice choice of colors btw.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This hawk flies around my apartment buildings looking for pigeons. He has landed on my balcony before while cashing lunch.

Today I decided to bring my camera with me while walking my dog in the farm land. If you don't know already, my city has a agriculture museum in the centre of town which also has farm land. They grow wheat and corn for farm feed and experiment with different types to see if they can grow it later in season.

The particular day, the hawk was being chased by a single crow. The background is a blue sky. I did get the crow in one of the shots but even though he was within 1 ft of the hawk, he was not in focus. I set my focus to the middle since it's easier to block out the back focusing the lens does.

Gear

Canon Rebel XTI
18-55 Kit Lens
70-300 IS USM lens
Battery Grip
UV Filter

PIc

ISO 100
F11
300MM
White Balance - Daylight
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

The Red Tailed Hawk's a fairly familiar sight where I live, but it's not often I can see that much detail, even with binoculars. Nice work.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I did take a picture of it once while it was landing in the field near my house but I had to edit it before posting because it had been out of focus.

The RTH is the most common hawk in North America. But having one hunt around you is awesome.

If you check my site, you can find a picture that is a silhouette of the hawk flying up with his claws and a pigeon just out of reach.

I have so named this fellow Ralph.
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by mistercool2 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If you check my site, you can find a picture that is a silhouette of the hawk flying up with his claws and a pigeon just out of reach.

I have so named this fellow Ralph.
Just checked your site - really nice stuff. I think you're a bit modest calling yourself an "amateur". :)

Unless it's the angle it looks like the hawk has the pigeon in it's claws or maybe I didn't find the right photo.

A pair of cranes (don't know what kind) have been visiting our neighborhood (Florida) for many years. They're not tame but they just stand there and check you out as you drive by and let you get close enough to throw food to them. They're about 4 feet tall and I've only seen them in the air a few times, but the wing span must be around 6 feet. I've never been interested in taking photos but I really should at least have a digital camera, if nothing else to get these beautiful creatures on my computer.

Out of curiousity, what graphics programs do you use?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This is who shot where the hawk missed the pigeon. Story is I was out taking pics of the hawk when he flew onto the roof of the building next to mine. While I was looking at him, he took a piss. Then he started to fly towards me and and when he shot passed, I noticed 2 pigeons on the ground. He scared them and went after one. The pigeon got away but not before I took that pic.

I use Adobe Lightroom, Corel Photopaint and NEAT Image for increasing the Sharpness.

Google Map of my area
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by mistercool2 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I use Adobe Lightroom, Corel Photopaint and NEAT Image for increasing the Sharpness.
I'm not familiar with those particular programs but you can't go wrong with Adobe or Corel. I've used Photo Shop, Corel Draw and a couple others but I got hooked on Paint Shop Pro several years ago.

You're not all that far from Westfield, NY (near Buffalo) where I grew up. I vaguely remember crossing the Peace Bridge to visit relatives and Niagra Falls when I was a kid.

my neck of the woods
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Merlin, your not far away from Pembroke, NH! (where I live.) :wink:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Willy, I'm about 6-7 hrs drive from your place according to google. I'm sure I could drive it in less time.

Adobe Lightroom is a RAW file editor. It takes the RAW files from the camera where you can manipulate them like if you had changed the settings on the camera itself.

Like adding 1 F stop, or chaning the WB, Saturation etc.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

why is it that allways when i look at google maps in satellite mode it reminds me about simcity and i expect my mousecursor to turn into a bulldozer-icon :lol:
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Typical Merlin, lookin up the birds skirts. Lookout Birdseye, he'll be after you next. :P
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com