Descent 2 - Destination Quartzon - does it work with D2x-XL?

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

VladR
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 2 - Destination Quartzon - does it work with D2x-XL?

Post by VladR »

I dusted off the old copy of Descent 2 (the 3dfx OEM version) and tried to install the D2X-XL using the available help resources. I copied files into proper dirs but it still didn`t run - error message says it`s missing menub.pcx (which isn`t there).

So, am I right that D2X-XL won`t work with this descent version ?
www.avenger.sk
VladR Games
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

As I recall, Quartzon wasn't a full version. It was like only the first.. oh 7 levels?

so it probably won't work. That's my off handed guess as I haven't tested it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I thought D2X-XL could even work with the shareware datafiles, the OEM versions might work too.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel said that the shareware data is broken and won't be fixed.

To get direct support from him, go here. ;)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Why would you want to run the OEM version when it's open-source now?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did I say it wouldn't be fixed?

I didn't know what I was saying then. If it's indeed broken it will be fixed. It's just low priority.

It used to work though, that statement had probably been made a real long time ago (> 2 years).
VladR
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by VladR »

DarkHorse wrote:Why would you want to run the OEM version when it's open-source now?
Because that`s what I`ve got at home. While the source code can be open-source, the data aren`t free for all. Or is it an abandonware already ?
I`ve also googled a bit and yes, it seems to have just 8 levels, so it`s prety crippled. But I`ve always been a huge fan of Descent1, not Descent 2 anyway, so it didn`t bother me previously.

It`s just that yesterday I found out about all the visual updates that Diedel did and wanted to try them (I was amazed, frankly), so I browsed through the pile of old CDs and found it, hoping it would run (at that time I didn`t know that it`s just a crippled version).
But if that OEM version has been crippled with fewer levels, it`s obvious that it`s a separate build made by Parallax, and thus many things can be different than in regular full version.
Nevermind, I`ll try it with Descent 1 today.
www.avenger.sk
VladR Games