descent2.de down - traffic limit exceeded - more info inside

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

descent2.de down - traffic limit exceeded - more info inside

Post by Diedel »

My monthly traffic limit (75 GB) has been exceeded already, so descent2.de is down. Since my bloody ISP neither allows me extra bandwidth for extra money, nor at least produces a meaningful error message when people are trying to access the site, I have already gotten some new webspace from a different ISP and will move there asap.

The site will be back up 1 mar 2008 or earlier.

Until then you can get software updates from the D2X-XL project on Sourceforge.net. If you register there (free) you can even request to be notified by e-mail whenever an update gets available.
VladR
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by VladR »

It`s just un-f*cking-believable that they at least don`t put a meaningful message, just a plain 404 error.

BTW, how much do you pay for your hosting ? Mine doesn`t impose any limit on traffic (forpsi). One month ago I switched to smallest hosting available under forpsi for about 0.99 EUR per month. I`ve got just 500 MB there, but no traffic limit. I`ve been using this provider fot last 6 yrs and he hasn`t ever done sth that stupid to me that has happenned to you.
www.avenger.sk
VladR Games
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can have hosting contracts here w/o a traffic limit either, but then they have a \"fair use\" clause, meaning you must not have extraordinary amounts of traffic on your site - definitely not 100 GB/month or more.

Currently I am paying 15 Euros/month. My new web space will be a virtual server with 10 GB storage, 300 GB monthly traffic and all advantages of a (virtual) full server for 11 Euros ...

I cannot tell you how pissed off I am by the current ISP. I asked them to give me extra bandwidth and just put it on my bill. Two years ago they had done something like that w/o me noticing, and made me pay almost 400 Euros extra. No way did they just shut down my site then.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

descent2.de appears to be accessible again.
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MetalBeast »

Sirius wrote:descent2.de appears to be accessible again.
I think, it's the new server,but still without any content.
If I know, the whole sql-db of the forum is still on the old server.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

The site is back up. Whether it be old or new server.
At this stage, all the content is there.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

not all content is up there - some images are missing and the version history doesn't work neither, but I think Diedel will fix that ASPAP
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The domains have been moved to the new ISP (took only 24h!!!). I am now using a virtual server - why didn't anyone tell me earlier how good that is? :P

I didn't have time this morning to upload all content (it's several 100 MB). Site will be fully functional by tomorrow (biggest hurdle will be to set the SQL DB up for the forum, but that should be feasible). I have a pretty recent backup of the forum db, so no worrys, not much will be lost. The old forum is still available if you know the IP (which I don't myself ... sucks :P).

Btw, the old provider offers v-servers too, but nobody there told me until yesterday ... maybe they preferred losing a customer over their offer to move to a 30 Euro/month tariff over telling him to get a v-server for 10 €/month ... :roll:
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Neumaennl wrote:not all content is up there - some images are missing and the version history doesn't work neither, but I think Diedel will fix that ASPAP
Works on my end. Even when I posted about this the first time. :|
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Once again, i cannot reach Diedel's Site-maybe he is working on it, i don't know.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Just tried it. Works for me. ;)

Though his history page is outdated.
So I wouldn't be getting updates from there right now.
Tim
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tim »

well... the main site was on 82.165.105.253 , don't know about the forum though.
(__/)Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh<br>(O.o )<br>(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Works again for me
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Site and forum are fully available again. There was a brief down time (about an hour maybe) probably caused by technical problems of the provider.

The last forum backup is from feb 9, so a few posts and registrations are lost; nothing wild though.

So come on over, (re-) register if necessary and let's talk about D2X-XL related stuff there. :)
DHowett
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DHowett »

One issue.
I never got an activation e-mail after i reregistered. Not even in my junk mail folder.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

On rare occasions a registration didn't even make it into the forum database. Please retry and send the nickname you have chosen to karx11erx at hotmail d0t com so I can check this.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

The site works well :)
However, it seems i can't access any of the forums.
Everytime i click on one (Mapping & Modding, General Discussions, etc) it gives me this error:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 1310720) (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /var/www/web1/html/forum/includes/template.php(127) : eval()'d code on line 89

:?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MetalBeast »

It seems the bad luck don't stop.
There is something wrong with the virtual-server.
I hope Diedel can fix it soon.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The vserver seems to crash frequently. Nothing special I'd be using it for that might explain it. I have rebooted it three times already.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re:

Post by Richard Cranium »

Diedel wrote:The vserver seems to crash frequently. Nothing special I'd be using it for that might explain it. I have rebooted it three times already.
Must be an amateur hosting provider