Pyro RELOADED* vs. OOF-Version of Eagle's Pyro GL

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Pyro RELOADED* vs. OOF-Version of Eagle's Pyro GL

Post by MetalBeast »

Since here are some misunderstandings about my work so I have to clear it up.

I can not say anything about Eagle's original work, cause the only version I ever had, is that to OOF converted version. This version I did convert to 3ds with 3DSgen.

If you know, converting it this way makes the mesh unusable and Supersheep's MAX OOF Utility doesn't work with my Max-version. So using this for anything was never an option for me.

The only parts which are not completly remodelled, only fixed are the cockpit and the small wings.

Anyway, this version was used by me ONLY as reference for making Pyro RELOADED.

Even if it looks there are no differences, I made some screenshots from max from the most important parts, so you can judge yourself.

Because Eagle's pyro is using other submodel groups, I had to detach some parts for making them comparable.

Other Notice: both Models are using completly different UVW-mappings and Texture-structures.

All edges are set to visible.

On each picture left side is Pyro RELOADED mesh, right side, Eagle's converted OOF Version.

KLICK ON PICTURE FOR BIGGER VERSION:

jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

I am aware that you rebuilt the model into a completely different one for uses with D2X-XL. I have no problem with it, and i think the credit for the new one is yours, i would just give Eagle partial credit for the use of his ship as a template for your new one. In my eyes, you have done nothing infringing or wrong. Check out my latest post here:

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=213716#213716
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Diedel wrote:Eagle has gotten due credit on my Descent site. You should just take your time to read my worklog. But basically it is still a more detailled model of the original (movie) Pyro, and MB's creation has evolved into something of its own right.

The first version of MB's Pyro didn't even have modeled beams at the cockpit. It was a very simple sub model where everything was done with texturing. I had asked MB to model it a bit more. Same was true for the beams along the standard lasers - MB had used textures in the beginning, and I had asked him to model the beams. Our goal was of course to come really close to Eagle's Pyro - it's a beautiful model after all. But no way did MB just push a few vertices and triangles around. Heck, just look at all the gun models he had to add. If you look at both models' turbine fans you will also notice that they look pretty different. Same is true for the fuselage bottom. Just load the textures and compare. MB's model also has weapon mounting points, unlike Eagle's, where the missiles 'hover' below the winglets.

MB wrote that some of his submodels consist of several "independant" parts which are stuck together, but form a logical submodel in terms of the format they are stored in. He used the homing missile fins as an example: These are small, flat, closed pyramids he has simply stuck into the missile's fuselage - and it's that "stuck into" your engine probably doesn't like. They would need to be flush with the missile's hull for it. Same goes for the weapon models: If you look at them, some are just stuck into the wings, intersecting with the wing submodel. Although that shouldn't be an issue for a renderer, it might be for your engine, for whatever reason.

I believe that what Bubbalou is most sorry about is the fact that he doesn't get as much appreciation for his works as MB does. Well, MB has really breathed new life into Descent with his wonderful 3D models - not just the Pyro, but all the powerups and weapons he rebuilt (bearing my perfectionism all the way :D).
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Also Diedel, your video on the Pyro GX Reloaded on your site doesn't seem to be working. :? I am anxious to see it.
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MetalBeast »

jshaner wrote:Also Diedel, your video on the Pyro GX Reloaded on your site doesn't seem to be working. :? I am anxious to see it.
See here:

@jshaner: If you want I can try to make an pyro gx version exclusive for you, which fit your engine rules, just let me some time for doing this ;)
And again, I did give credits to Eagle since Pyro RELOADED was released to public, just read the readme-file. :roll:
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

zombie999 wrote: @jshaner: If you want I can try to make an pyro gx version exclusive for you, which fit your engine rules, just let me some time for doing this ;)
That would be awesome! I would love to have a customized pyro.
zombie999 wrote: And again, I did give credits to Eagle since Pyro RELOADED was released to public, just read the readme-file.

K, i wrote in another topic that i saw that, and i would've done the exact same thing, so :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will upload the missing content to my new web space this evening, and the forum should be fully operational by tomorrow.