Mercenary Levels

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Mercenary Levels

Post by Alter-Fox »

Is there any program that allows you to look at the levels from the D3: Mercenary expansion pack? I tried opening them in D3Edit but it said the file was too new... or something like that. I'm mostly interested in looking at Mercenary level 4, so I can figure out what D3 Retribution robot types are on it but not on the other merc levels. (Off the top of my head, I can remember finding 2 sparkys and the stormtrooper leader from D3 Retribution level thirteen, but I need to find out what the others are.)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If you want to look at stuff in D3 Editor from Mercs, you need to point the editor at the merc hog rather than the standard D3 hog. Try using Atan's version of the edtior.

also realize that Outrage's levels were not created in D3 Editor. They were made in Max and imported via the converter on their site. and remember that was created for something like 3dMax 2.5 or 3.

So models and levels don't always load right. Also, you can't look over their scripting using Dallas or Osiris.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Duper, have you tried? I just did, Atan's latest version of D3editor, and it tells me it can't open the level I just extracted due to the version.

hmm. for some reason my ftp will not upload this image. :?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Would there be a way to just look at the resource lists?
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i once did that by just changing the version number with a hexeditor in the d3l-files. the levels could be loaded into d3edit then. if i recall right there was only a few bytes difference in the d3l-file-headers. look for the first 255 bytes and check for different bytes in the original d3l-files compared to what d3edit will save as d3l.

btw i think they was full of t-joints, missmatched portals and convex faces ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'll do that, once I figure out what on earth a hexeditor is.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

its a program that allows you to edit a program is it hexadecimal form.