What's the most awesome Descent SP level?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

What's the most awesome Descent SP level?

Post by Alter-Fox »

What, in your opinion, is the coolest SP level for each Descent? They don't have to be \"official.\"

In D1, level 25 of Descent: First Strike is definetely my favourite.

In D2, level 1 of Obsidian, as well as D2 Counterstrike level 15 and level 19 of The Lost Levels are the coolest... to me.

In D3, I like level 11 of D3: Retribution and all the levels of Mercenary except 6 and 7. ReFactored and Reactor Gamma are my favourite custom levels that I didn't make.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

D1, lvl 25 is a close second to my preferred, lvl 19.

D2 single player levels suck

D3 Merc mission, I don't remember which one out of the set.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Testiculese wrote: D2 single player levels suck

BLASPHEMY! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

I've always loved D1 levels 7 and 26. There's also Hostage Hell from IronBlade and Badlands from IronStar - those two are Lars/Grant classics.

It's been so long since I've played EAF2 or Lost Levels that I can't remember the levels well, but both of those had some great ones.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Level 1 of Obsidian? That seems an odd choice to me, but I couldn't call it a bad level, so ok...

D1, I would say level 24.

D2, in terms of original levels, probably level 20 to be honest. In terms of new ones - and disallowing myself from picking levels I was involved in - I would say Vermillion Caverns from Entropy 2 I think... largely for the music though.

D3 ... meh ... if push came to shove I'd say level 8 because the environment was kind of cool, but the campaign was rather tedious with the tiny, skippy robots and weapons that basically couldn't hit them.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Aquarius Falls (I think level 10) of Obsidian, that level is pure genius. Well thought out. Perfect.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I've always liked the Miranda Mine in Descent 1. It's just the roller coaster structure of it.

No official level sticks out in Descent 2 for me. They weren't that creative and really didn't flow that well.

Same with Descent 3. I can't even remember many of Descent 3's levels.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

For fan made levels, check out Atan and Dark's 'Mission at the Saturn'. Also 'Arrilen Po', by Shoku, the Windmine series, by True Light Guild. (D3)

I never really had a favorite of D1 or D3 'official' levels, and haven't played D2 much.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

It's hard to say, but i think this is my list:

D1 Official - Levels 1,7,9 & 18
D1 Fanmade - Orion Nebula P. Level 1
D2 Official - Levels 7,11 & 17 (Although i'm not completely sure)
D2 Vertigo - Level 3 (as far as i remember)
D2 Fanmade - All Phobos Encounter levels, all Konflict at Karon levels, Entropy level 1 & Obsidian Level 3 (although i haven't finished obsidian ever :( )
D3 Official - Levels 6,10 & 15
D3 Mercenary - Levels 3 & 4 (haven't played level 7 yet)
D3 Fanmade - Centroid (haven't played too many fanmade missions)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

D1 I'd have to pick level 19.

D2, Anthology has just surpassed everything else.

D3, level 14 has always been my favourite.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

I don't do D1 or D2, but Ron Lester's Windmine series is probably my favorite in D3.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:
Testiculese wrote: D2 single player levels suck

BLASPHEMY! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!
You got a point, DarkFlameWolf.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

D1 - Level 10
D2 - Boiling Point level 1
D3 - CED Expediator Dreadnaught
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Red_5 wrote:D1 - Level 10
Yeah, that sure was a memorable level--the rockin' guitary music, the fusion cannon, the secret level, the iris doors, all that lava...good times.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sirius wrote:Level 1 of Obsidian? That seems an odd choice to me, but I couldn't call it a bad level, so ok...

D1, I would say level 24.

D2, in terms of original levels, probably level 20 to be honest. In terms of new ones - and disallowing myself from picking levels I was involved in - I would say Vermillion Caverns from Entropy 2 I think... largely for the music though.
The main reason I like Obsidian level 1 is that the first time I played it, I was awed by the music and the level design.
Which level of Entropy 2 is Vermillion Caverns? I downloaded the campaign before realizing I needed the Vertigo Series (which I don't have) installed to play it, but that didn't stop me from extracting the music.
Level 24 of D1 is my second favourite, I really like the music for level 18, and I do like level 8 of D3 (both of my favourite enemies appear on level 8 - the Thresher and the Spyhunter). I personally think level 11 is cooler, partly because the music fits it so well.

Mercenary levels 3 and 4 are the coolest Mercenary levels, levels 1, 2, and 5 are close behind, and level 6 would be really cool if it didn't have such terrible music.

Level 14 of D3 and level 26 of D1 are the scariest Descent levels I've played.

EDIT: I have tried to play Mission at the Saturn. Level 1 looked really cool from the intro but the game crashed when the intro ended. I level warped to level 2... It was very cool, and would be even cooler with some good music. Also, from looking at level 2 in the editor, it had the welder bots from Mercenary, but didn't have the AI.
Arrillen Po crashed while it was loading.
The first part of Windmine 6 was really cool... Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get past it. I'm planning to get the other Windmine levels, I already got the first one, but it crashed like Arrillen Po.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

Alter-Fox wrote: EDIT: I have tried to play Mission at the Saturn. Level 1 looked really cool from the intro but the game crashed when the intro ended. I level warped to level 2... It was very cool, and would be even cooler with some good music. Also, from looking at level 2 in the editor, it had the welder bots from Mercenary, but didn't have the AI.
Arrillen Po crashed while it was loading.
The first part of Windmine 6 was really cool... Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get past it. I'm planning to get the other Windmine levels, I already got the first one, but it crashed like Arrillen Po.
Man, I've never had the Windmine levels crash, and I've played through them all several times. Actually, I like all of Lesters levels. Iceworld and Darkmoon are good for guided missile practice.

I have had trouble with Arrilen Po crashing, but only when loading a saved game without starting the level fresh first.

I'd have to go back and play Windmine 6 again to remember how to finish it, it's been awhile.

*EDIT* Mission at Saturn is a very cool SP level. I hope Atan finishes the next part of it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Vermillion Caverns was level 4. Listening to it again the music wasn't really awesome, but it was different, and fairly good.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

Alter-Fox wrote:The first part of Windmine 6 was really cool... Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get past it.
I ran through it real quick today. What part were you stuck in?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I recently got my hands on The Vertigo Series, and somehow unlocked all the levels in D2X-XL, which I also got working, and I have to say, the coolest D2 level ever has to be Morabi Milk Mine (Vertigo level 19).
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

D1: levels 12, 13, and 26.

D2: sucks.

D3: never played single player. Didn't really interest me.

Freespace: Clash of the Titans. Destiny of Peace if you like add-on missions.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Descent:
- Level 10
- Level 24
- Level S1 (Or was it S2? It's the really difficult one)

DescentII:
- I'm with Lothar and Testi, the D2 singleplayer levels are just horrible.

Descent3:
- Level 12 (Proving Grounds)
- Mission at the Saturn Part 1 (gorgeous and complex level)
- Level 4 (Subway and city of Seoul)
- Reactor Gamma (throwback to the old \"intense fighting then blow the reactor and escape\" mode)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Descent has music?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I like to many levels in D1 and D2 to name them.

D3 had some but not many.

The theifbot in D2 made playing SP levels interesting.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’d have to give another vote to Level 10 (Mars)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

hopefully the new level set Darkhorse, Sirius, Pumo, Wishmaster, Alter-fox and I are working on may produce a few more favorite levels. ;)
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Randor244 »

Hmm... I do like level 3 of the original descent, not because of the level itself (the design of that one sucks) but simply because it gives me the strongest nostalgic feeling when I sometimes play good old descent again.

Other than that, I like level 1, 7 and 10 of D1.

D2? Gotta be level 10 then.

D3... It was a really long time ago, but I like that level with all those security systems... If you know which I mean...

Never succeeded to win D3, always got killed by that train (don't laugh). It isn't that I am a noob or so (after all played through both D1 and D2 on all difficulty levels except for insane) but I always got killd by the train.
GUIDEBOT RULES!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

the new Sunspire by Sirius.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

Sedwick wrote:
Yeah, that sure was a memorable level--the rockin' guitary music, the fusion cannon, the secret level, the iris doors, all that lava...good times.
Secret level??! Where?!?!?!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Secret level 2 of D2 Vertigo is also really good. I never thought Descent could have a level that looks so much like the classic \"dungeon\" level.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Pumo »

Red_5 wrote:
Sedwick wrote:
Secret level??! Where?!?!?!
You can access the first secret level from a secret exit on level 10. The secret exit is close to the red door (behind a secret door). Another hint: Do you remember when you enter the first part of the red door corridor, when a vulcan guy fires at you from a grate? Well, that blue room behind the grate has the secret exit ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

None of the levels from D1 really stick out in my mind... it's been too long since I played them.

D2: Probably most of the secret levels. They were frustrating, but pretty slick in design. Better than most of the rest of D2. The Vertego levels were pretty good, but nothing sticks out in my mind specifically.

D3: I hate/love most of the levels. The Dreadnaught would be an awesome level if it weren't so huge. I always get lost. The secret levels in D3 are probably the most fun to play, but there's a few regular ones too... I think the planet where you fight the Homonoculous at the end is probably one of the better ones, but even that one gets frustrating sometimes.

I've never made it all the way through D3: Mercenary.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Randor244 wrote:Never succeeded to win D3, always got killed by that train (don't laugh). It isn't that I am a noob or so (after all played through both D1 and D2 on all difficulty levels except for insane) but I always got killd by the train.
Interesting. In D1 and D2, I can't beat any level on any difficulty level but trainee, in D3 I can play okay on rookie (I die a lot though). I only got past the subways in level 4 once. I died a lot, but when I finished the level, the end screen said I had 0 deaths, because every time I got past any of the trains, I saved my game, and any time I died I quit and reloaded from the last save, so that I didn't have to restart from the beginning.

Mostly what I do in D3 though, is just warp to the second last level of whatever mission, save my game, quit D3, open it again, then beat the level from the saved game. For some reason, saving a game after level warping and then restarting D3 enables scoring again, so once I beat the level in the saved game and get to the final level, I unlock the final level (and all the levels up to it) for new games.

EDIT: I really like the secret levels in D3, especially Origin Zero. I just think the secret levels should be bigger.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

D2 level 3, classic
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

D1 level 7!
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Red_5 »

lars wrote:D1 level 7!
Ooooh I hated level 7 when I first played it! I could never kill the dang boss! Now it's cake, of course, but I have some interesting memories of that level :)
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I actually beat the level 7 (demo version) boss on my first try

But after that it took me about 20 more tries before I beat him again
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can only beat the D1 level 7 boss in D2X-XL (by saving invulnerabilities for it).
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Even if i was a bad player, i defeated the L7 boss the first time i played also on the shareware version when i was a child.

It was REALLY hard and had to use savegames constanly, but i did it :)
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

In Descent 1, the terminus level that came with the official game was neat. Liked the series of doors right in a row. From first strike level 24 was really cool. Secret level 1 was fun too.

Descent 2, haven't done single player in a while. I made a level with a forcefield maze once...that was really fun.

Descent 3, I always liked 12 and 13. Neat levels.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Alter-Fox wrote:I can only beat the D1 level 7 boss in D2X-XL (by saving invulnerabilities for it).
*tsktsktsk* The one of the things I don't like about D2X-XL. Saving the invunrabilities seemed pretty lame to me =|. Plus, you don't even need to. If you drain the medium lifter matcen, you can grab the invunrability in the next room and charge into red access. The boss itself is cake once you kill the guards. just strafe randomly and go in a circle, shoot at him when he pops up. It's only lame if he teleports on top of you. Really messes up my cold-starts. (I don't count it as a victory if I die)
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!