Call out to all D2 level designers (old and new)!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Descent Vignettes a good idea?

Yes! And I'll be contributing!
28%
Yes! I'd love to play it when its done!
68%
No.
4%

Total votes: 25
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Okay, Wishmaster says he is bowing out at 3 levels for the set. And that's perfectly fine. I already have a solid idea for one of the levels he couldn't do. Furthermore, I don't really have an idea for the fifth level Wishmaster could have made. So instead, I opening that up back out to the community of level designers out there. I'll reiterate the rules

Rules:
- Most important: it must be D2 only. (not Vertigo or D2-xl) We want the widest audience possible to play this, so it must be made for standard Descent 2.
- Every level can have any combination of blue, yellow or red keys to solve it.
- No robots or power-ups just yet, you can make secret areas for them, but no power-ups/robots. I'd like to arrange the levels in an order at the end that'll make sense and then scale the difficulty and weapon giving at a balanced rate throughout the mission.
- For secret areas, since the levels will be very small and compact, you can make them more interesting than just a 'one cube' behind a hidden door type of secret area.
- Hostages are allowed to be inserted if you so choose.

So this is another chance for someone to get their level inputted into the level set. We're only asking for one level this time instead of five for whoever wants to make it. And on top of that, if Darkhorse and Sirius pull through, you'll also have new robots in the levels plus a new soundtrack!
So lots of good things going for this set!
So if you want your level submitted, please notify me ASAP on the boards, I'll most likely take the first person who applies and has talent at level designing.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I made a small level a few weeks ago, based on the idea I had for secret level 1 of my D3 set. Unfortunately, I ended up putting powerups and robots into it, because I didn't know there'd be a chance for it to be included in this. If it were possible to remove the powerups and robots (deleting objects in dle-xp for some reason causes the level to crash in DOSbox, but maybe someone else could do it in DMB-2 or some other editor I don't have?) Also, it doesn't have a title because naming it for some reason also crashes it, but that just means you can name it whatever you want. It's a hybrid water/alien2 style level which looks kind of like a rainforest.

If someone can do all this, I'd gladly contribute the level.

EDIT - new soundtrack? Does that mean my new midi was accepted? If someone sent me an email about it I didn't get it.

I just have to do some texturing in the exit, as it's one cube, so I want the far wall to have the secret teleporter texture. I can do that today.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

It shouldn't be too difficult to strip robots and powerups from the level. Are you running DLE-XP through Dosbox? I don't think you should need to, unless you're running Vista and it's somehow incompatible, though that would surprise me.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm running Descent 2 with dosbox, but using dle-xp to build levels because the only other editor I can get to work is the DMB2 demo, and apart from the obvious difference in level size, it's also much faster and easier for me to build with dle-xp.

What I meant was that if I delete any objects, the level will crash when I try to play it in dosbox. The same goes for naming the level.

BTW - who's composing the soundtrack?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Send me the level via email and I'll check it out. darkflamewolf@yahoo.com
As for your midi, I've actually not had time to even listen to it really. I've found a few other tracks I've liked. Plus a D2-XL user exclusive ogg soundtrack, thanks to Diedel for getting that to work.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have loads of homework to do, so I might not be able to get the level to you today. If I don't send it today, then I probably will tomorrow.

EDIT - If the soundtrack for your campaign is D2X-XL only, then I won't be able to hear the music for my own level, if it gets put in. I think it would be a good idea to have a midi soundtrack too, even if it's not my music.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

OK, program finished (at least for this job, adding extra shortcuts will take little work if I need them), and the first robot (\"Terapinner\") has been fixed/imported/etc. Well, save the submodel centres - haven't set them. Not sure if they're important in this case - it depends how wild you want to go with the joint animations.

Haven't bothered to deal with the robot behaviour for it though. That job can be done by pretty much anyone who's customised robots before.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

as for the midi soundtrack, I have a few choices and a optional D2-XL soundtrack for those who want it. So there is a choice.

As for Sirius, I can do robot customization, I've been pretty well versed in that. So you can send them my way and I'll eventually compile the robots together for the set.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Wolf - any point in me doing a custom cockpit, should I get the time to put one together after the levels and robots are done? It adds a bit to the filesize, but in the days where people are downloading 200MB files on a regular basis a 640x480 bitmap is going to seem pretty microscopic.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

if we got time for it, I'm all for it. However, its last on the priority list as far as I'm concerned. We need to get the 'bulk' of the mission done first, then we'll worry about the 'extras.'

As for the level set, because of future events in my life, this set ultimately will get released probably during June or later. So don't expect the set before that.

EDIT: minor setback, my only means of playing D2 on this computer: D2-XL is no longer functioning for me in the latest beta Diedel put out. So can anyone point to me in the direction of Rebirth so I can utilize that to finish up working on the set?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I also need to work out how XL displays polymodels... so far every time I touch something it seems to break. Raw form out of cob2pm works fine, but if I re-order something or split a submodel up, those parts mostly stop rendering.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wishmaster »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:EDIT: minor setback, my only means of playing D2 on this computer: D2-XL is no longer functioning for me in the latest beta Diedel put out. So can anyone point to me in the direction of Rebirth so I can utilize that to finish up working on the set?
Right here...

http://www.dxx-rebirth.de/?Downloads:D2X-Rebirth
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

If D2X-XL latest versions is givin' you problems, you could stick with the last version that worked for you (that's what i do most of the time)...

Of course, Rebirth is also an option here...
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Alter-Fox hasn't sent his level my way even when asked. So if anyone else wants to submit a single level to the game set, I'll take a look at it. First come first serve however, if I find a quality level I like.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

In between finishing levels, I built a robot to replace the Diamond Claw, entitled Mantid:

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

awesome,. when Sirius gets it done, send it over. I'll plug him in. He's going to be a very sneaky bastid! XD
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wow.. that thing is UUUUUUUUggallleeeeee. :lol:

I mean that in the nicest way of course. :wink:

(nice work!)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It reminds me of Stitch. :lol:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It completely slipped my mind, what with all the homework I've been doing. I'll send it right now.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Whew, it needs a LOT of work to make it workable. I'll be changing a good bit of it in terms of textures and lighting. All objects removed other than reactor/keys/hostages so far. It's a fixer-upper, but I'll take it. :) Awaiting word from Kyouryuu for a bonus level, but not holding my breath there. He's a very hard person to get a hold of and when I do, its a miracle to get a decent conversation out of him.

EDIT: Alter-fox, I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to redo the whole level from scratch. However don't fret, I'll keep your overall layout intact and you'll still get half credit for the level regardless. So I'm taking your level idea and 'remaking it' as it were.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

whoa d2 with headcrabs use the crowbar:)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:EDIT: Alter-fox, I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to redo the whole level from scratch. However don't fret, I'll keep your overall layout intact and you'll still get half credit for the level regardless. So I'm taking your level idea and 'remaking it' as it were.
That's fine. I'm just a novice level builder anyway.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

but on the brightside, your level idea will still be seen by everyone and you'll be given credit for it as well. So yay!
Also, great news, Kyouryuu has given us permission to convert his Aurora Outpost level for Descent 1 to Descent 2 and utilize our new robots in it. Awesome stuff, thanks again Kyouryuu!
so that puts out level designer count up to....
7 different level designers!
Also, this 'extra' level from Kyouryuu won't interfere with the 5 levels from each of the 5 original designers one bit, it actually will fit into the story better now that we have one 'extra' level than originally intended.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

update everyone:
Minus the potential two secret levels from Darkhorse and Sirius 0which would up the secret level count to 5 instead of 3). There is but one level from Sirius that he has to complete and a remix of one of Pumo's levels for a boss arena. Beyond that, all the levels will be done and then its grind time on the robots and music, etc. Then It'll be on my to focus on robots, weapons, balance issues, etc. Due to some training I have in the coming 3 weeks, this probably won't get finished until the end of May. But rest assured, I promise to get the first wave of testing with the rest of the level designers done sometime in June!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Another pair of robots, Juju and Sprite, replacing the Green Spider and Hornet respectively.

Image Image
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Bolas, replacing the Sidearm.

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

oh...he's evil lookin' Thankfully I got a choice selection of weapons for him to use. He will not be your friend. How big is he? He looks like a lumbering fellow, slow, yet precise.
Does he spawn modula, or is he not that type of robot?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Planning to add modula, but haven't come up with a concept for them yet.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

my suggestion: a smaller ball with a eye with one of those big side guns on the right attached. Kinda of like a Orbit from Descent 3.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Done. I put the gun(s) on top, but hopefully you like how it turned out. The three dots in front will light up at different times, all of them being on the same eye animation.

Called it Sapper.

DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Double-posting, so sue me.

There's 23 robots in total, of which 7 of them have been built so far. So I'm just about a third of the way through, which is nice, because it's looking like a very long list. Then there's six bosses, which have a different concept behind them.

Can't complain though, it is a lot of fun putting these things together.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

as long as you are having fun. Its good not having someone breathing down your neck and telling you specifically what to do with each robot. Other than my request about the bosses, I really am pretty lenient with whatever you give me. :)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Kalki, replacing Red Fatty Jr.

DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Golem, replacing the Lou Guard.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Parasite, replacing the Omega.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Echo, replacing the Red Hornet.

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

holy crap dude, let's hope all these awesome designs work in D2. I heard the Bolas still crashes the game when spawned from robot makers. I love your designs, I really do. They are probably some of the best robots I've seen in Descent 2 ever. but wondering when you'll be making some 0 joint robots again like the Meson. They may be un-complex but they can still be cool looking. ;)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Apparently that mesh had all of the quads become triangulated. I'm quite surprised that any of these are getting anywhere near 200 faces, but I suppose it's an easy limit to exceed.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Very nice work! The Golem looks like the Class 1 Drone from D1's big brother!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Three more. Angler, replacing the ITD:

Morningstar, replacing the ITSC:

Mule, replacing the Smelter: