\"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Since online play is so lvl handipcapped, LAN play may be the only real test of current excellence. It'll be interesting to see how people do at the Baltimore LAN. A decent turnout should produce some good competition...Suncho and Krom have been around awhile, and should be able to gauge ability pretty well. Hopefully we'll get a good recap of the LAN...
Fighting villains is what I do!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Ninja-delete-spam-edit!
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Krom wrote: Since I have dropped into a few games this weekend and seen a bit of the population I'd say the average skill level has dropped a couple notches, perhaps just because fewer players are out there. The most notable change from the past is the ratio of players I have seen that are for lack of a better word: horrible. In the past you would see a pilot that just couldn't fly at all from time to time, but never as many as I have seen in just a couple games. There are also a lot of players that rarely use sliding or chording, sometimes they don't use any at all. Its like they are trying to play this game like it is any garden variety ground pounder and not even trying to learn or do anything new.

There are also a bunch of players that seem to be easily thrown off by slight changes in weapons, stupid old tricks, or are abysmally weak if they don't have one of the big primaries.

It just seems there are a lot of players that seem like it is really easy to twist their arms once you know their main gimmick which is usually worn right on their shoulder.
Man... that's almost... sad. That makes me feel like setting some other priorities aside and wipe off the dust from my pyro and go out and play. Can't at least keep that from happening for much longer. Wedding's done and the move's almost complete, so hopefully soon if I'm not too tied up with school I'll be active again.

It's time for those players to learn how to play in Descent! *mutters* They can't tricord?! Sheesh! Tricording's the easiest thing to use! Agh! :P
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gandalf Stormcrow »

ReadyMan wrote:Since online play is so lvl handipcapped, LAN play may be the only real test of current excellence. It'll be interesting to see how people do at the Baltimore LAN. A decent turnout should produce some good competition...Suncho and Krom have been around awhile, and should be able to gauge ability pretty well. Hopefully we'll get a good recap of the LAN...
Krom is coming??

I think we can gauge ability fairly well on-line. Some people have horrible connections (myself in the past and right now at home), but with pings within ~50ms spread, it's a fairly even playing field. I was surprised at the skill of Monkey/Krom/Suncho/Fezzik on lan back in 04, but I had practically no highspeed/LAN experience at that time. I don't think anything can surprise me now. I have a pretty good idea at this point of what is possible in this game.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Gandalf Stormcrow wrote:
ReadyMan wrote:Since online play is so lvl handipcapped, LAN play may be the only real test of current excellence. It'll be interesting to see how people do at the Baltimore LAN. A decent turnout should produce some good competition...Suncho and Krom have been around awhile, and should be able to gauge ability pretty well. Hopefully we'll get a good recap of the LAN...
Krom is coming??

I think we can gauge ability fairly well on-line. Some people have horrible connections (myself in the past and right now at home), but with pings within ~50ms spread, it's a fairly even playing field. I was surprised at the skill of Monkey/Krom/Suncho/Fezzik on lan back in 04, but I had practically no highspeed/LAN experience at that time. I don't think anything can surprise me now. I have a pretty good idea at this point of what is possible in this game.
x2
steveg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

On YouTube

Post by steveg »

I hardly ever find mutliplayer D1 or D2 matches on YouTube, but here's a beauty, played just a few weeks ago :)

I'd say they're not half bad! And there's some olbies in there, too.

Steve
MrKyLe
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MrKyLe »

holy god reading this thread is like walking down memory lane :P I don't think I have played D3 in 6 or 7 years now but the same people are still there!

formerly
[D3k]Kyle and a bunch of other names I don't remember using :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Hiya Kyle! Load up your D3 and play! There's actually quite a few people still playing after all these years.

I've been surprised at some of the talent I've played with. Specifically some of the Euro players are VERY good. Yes ping plays a part, but the skill is undeniable.

More quality team games and games with a majority of good pilots (in decent lvls of course) will only increase the skill level.
Tha Rock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tha Rock »

ReadyMan!
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Dan?
Califest Dan?
Tha Rock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tha Rock »

Yup Yup!! Whatsup buddy? Long time no talk!! How are things?
Demigod Primus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Demigod Primus »

Im not sure I could handle a D3 game, was never a fan thought it was a franchise killer, but I am always game for some D1/D2!
BIGRYE_MD
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by BIGRYE_MD »

Sorry but, DMC was never the best clan my friend...

I think it's time. Time for the come back. Time for the old timers that WERE HERE when CoolBear first setup this BB, to when he had his old site. Time to dust off the dust of your Descent 3 cd'd, to get your joystick out of the closet, and to get the computer back in to action.

IT IS TIME...
TIME FOR THE GREATS.. TO PLAY THE GAME THEY LOVED SO MUCH AND TIME FOR THE RUMBLE TO BEGIN...

It is time.

And it will be a game of all games...

BIGRYE

PS Ah does anyone have their descent 3 cd anywhere? Can't seem to find mine :)
Email at RMichaud@salud.unm.edu

Been a while guys, haven't played this game in several years, but looking forward to starting again and getting ready for CD.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hey SmallFrye ;) You can download the whole package here for a mere 6 bucks.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm. It's that guy. Now all we need is Killgood. (Anyone remember him?)
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

yeah...but he didnt, and he wasnt.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

HEH!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

did readyman get scared and decide to stay away from the big bad behemoth?
ha ha
BIGRYE_MD
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by BIGRYE_MD »

hey what's up guys...

Little delay, need to get another forcefeed back 2 joy should be coming in shortly...

Oh to be rusty and a newb again :P
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Hattrick »

Sirius wrote:Hmm. It's that guy. Now all we need is Killgood. (Anyone remember him?)
Oh geez. not Killgood. :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Killgood was strangely inhuman in his appetite for Skybox.

Until you gave him a really sound thrashing, then his humanity showed through in a blaze of glory culminating in the exorcism of the Skybox server. ;)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

that ain't killgood.

the killgood we know left before anyone got more than three kills on him.
NVR_RDY
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Still Around?

Post by NVR_RDY »

Man! You all still Playin? Gave up when one of the Windows ugrades made the orb unstable and too many hoops to jump through to get the sidewinder to work right. Still the best game since, eh?
Anyways, anyone hear a rumour about an XBox 360 version of Descent?
Still thankin' American Spirit for all his help tryin' to get me into D3. Comp just wouldn't retain all the adjustments. Haven't had the desire to play since then......
Who, me? Part-Time Canuck
firewire0000000
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

iam still playing

Post by firewire0000000 »

after many years iam still playing strong i wish they would make a patch to replace pxo with a new server that would be great i seen it done on another game i used to play would be asome so u dont have to play tcip :?
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

Firewire..whoa. weren't you in OD..Jim or something?
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Why not add a reply to this?

I remember descent back from '95 when I was in the 5th grade playing it on a keyboard under the name Rocke. D2 came along and I was playing under the name SilverFish. When D3 came out I considered myself decent enough to play online, and it took me a year or so before I actually got to the point where I beat Ferno in Indika. Bizznatch :P

I do remember clan-hopping like a slut and ending up in the Dark Squadron of the {DmC}, which was some of the best times I ever had with videogames. Good friends.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Haha I just found this on Yahoo, check it out, look at what my system stats were back then.

http://www.planetdescent.com/asp/profil ... ilotid=186
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

I think it's about time I replied to this thread... I don't know if I said this already and I don't feel like looking back. =P

I'd have to say the original post is wrong. =P There just aren't enough people playing for the players of today to be as good as players were back in tha day. We don't get enough practice. >_<

end of discussion. :)

...and that's my story and I'm sticking to it. =P
Pink Panther
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pink Panther »

Sup, newbies.
<FONT color="#ffffff">Firestorm AKA Pink Panther</FONT>
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper
Hemp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hemp »

Sup BigCry. O and your so right about the best clan thing. Id have to go with and not in any order. D3K, Ants and ROX.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I would say D3k, ANTS, ROX, WP and III in no particular order, but that's my self-interest speaking. ;) D3k, WP, and III shared a lot of players anyway.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I wouldn't consider III a valid addition to the list considering it was basically the good players from d3k plus a couple MOB guys.

Personally i would consider ANTs top choice from what i've seen, but that's just me.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

True, though that still misses some of our guys like JazzyJet, Fezzik, Javed, Lobotomy, etc.

ANTS probably had the strongest roster of any team, since they had all the asylum LAN guys like birdseye, Nirvana and such, but from my understanding and looking back through old D3TL match reports a lot of those guys didn't actually play a whole lot in matches.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

WP was kind of a \"let's see what happens when we combine all the best players\" team. D3K was fairly strong, but from what I recall was held together by about 2-4 key players (i.e. Krom). ROX was a great team made up of players who all represent the top 5-10% of D3 players. I wasn't impressed with ANTS when I played them in D3TL matches (check out a MOB vs ANTS TA match in D3Vamped which was rather close, like 150-130). III arrived so late on the scene that it kind of doesn't count. Still, in a tournament of 100 games with all mods and levels considered, I would put... III, WP, ROX, D3K, ANTS in that order. Granted, III took from the best of WP and D3K plus a couple stragglers in MOB (myself and Shadowfox). Do people even know who all III had at its prime? We kept it so aliased that I feel people don't realize all the talent in there :P
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

D3k had a heck of a lot of good players, a lot of which I never even saw, only heard stories about, since I didn't even touch D3 multiplayer until '01 and didn't start playing regularly until early '03. But they also had well over 50 different pilots play for them since they were around since the early days. You can't really compare that to III, which only had maybe 20 different people at most play in matches.

ROX wasn't entirely composed of \"elites\" either, since they had guys like Wizard who were fine players, but not at the level of Genghis, Neutrino and such.

And that's exactly my point about ANTS, they had a hellish list of pilots, but some of their A-pilots didn't appear to get much match time. And are you talking about this match? Doesn't look that close to me, though you did pretty well. :p

http://www.d3tl.org/tournament/game.asp?GameID=97

And I don't think III's aliases are a secret anymore, and haven't been for quite some time. :) Alien (aka Clayman), Beowulf, Crown, Divinity, FaTaLiTy, Fezzik, IceHammer, Javed, JazzyJet, Jesus Freak, Krom, Lobotomy, Monkey, Shadowfox, Skyalmian, Starkiller, Stupid, Tums, Whitewater, ZeroCool. As far as I know that's everyone who's played in a III match.
Hemp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hemp »

Sorry I did not add III and WP. That was after my time. I don't remember playing III or WP in d1 or d2.
<Suncho> yes you should stfu because I am god.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I don't know if WP played D1 or D2, but they were mainly known for D3. III only played D3, and at that, didn't start until early '04, so we missed most of the tougher teams, though we did play ROX twice and D3k three times.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Jesus Freak »

Hemp wrote:Sorry I did not add III and WP. That was after my time. I don't remember playing III or WP in d1 or d2.
Is my sarcasm radar detecting something here? Being oldskool doesn't automatically make you cool.

Anyhow, D1 and D2 didn't have teams, and we're discussing top D3 teams of ALL time. Contrary to some peoples' belief, players get better with time and practice, so it's logical that teams would get somewhat better over the course of months and years.
D3Alien wrote: I don't know if WP played D1 or D2, but they were mainly known for D3, and III only played D3, and at that, didn't start until early '04, so we missed most of the tougher teams, though we did play ROX twice and D3k three times.
I can tell that, despite your attempt to appear like many authors who write convoluted sentences filled with at least six commas, your sentences are unnecessarily long and, may I dare say, unfragmented--or rather, run-on; in fact, I had to use a semicolon just now, because otherwise I would have died of poor sentence structure.

I love you, Jesse :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

dont you mean luv? ;p