New D3 Gametype! *BreakOut* (Beta test this weekend!!)

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

New D3 Gametype! *BreakOut* (Beta test this weekend!!)

Post by Foil »

Listen up, folks... there is a new Descent3 gametype around the corner! :D

After a year or so of on-again/off-again work, I have finally finished a preliminary version of a new game mode for Descent3, called \"BreakOut\", and I'm going to be releasing a Beta-test version to the public this Sunday, April 6th! 8)

---------------------------------

\"What is BreakOut?\", you ask?

Well, first, this is not just a new level. It's a new .d3m, a game mode like Anarchy or Entropy or CTF. It's a mode that will work for any level which is built (or modified) to use it. Here's a quick description:

- BreakOut is a two-team game mode for Descent3, where the goal for each team is to score the most points.

\"Sounds like Capture the Flag...\" - Yep, the points do work like CTF or Team Anarchy; the game is played until the specified time or one team reaches the point goal. But the uniqueness of BreakOut is the way points are scored:

- Combat works just like Team Anarchy, one red team and one blue team.
- A team scores a point by \"capturing\" all the members of the other team.
- You \"capture\" players by killing them; killed players will respawn inside a room on the opposing side called the \"jail-room\" (usally closed off by something like a forcefield or locked door or blockade, depending on the level).
Here's the twist: :wink:
- Free (uncaptured) players can break their captured teammates out!

In the Alpha-testing, this has made for some really interesting and fun team dynamics:

Imagine this: your team is starting to lose, three of your four pilots have been captured, but you are able to swing momentum back to your side by breaking them out!

Or this: your last free opponent tries to make a run for the switch to free his teammates, but you catch him just beforehand, which scores the point for your team!

It's a whole lot of fun, and I want to make sure it works exactly like it should when it is officially released. So I'm going to host a public Beta-test this coming Sunday for as many people as would like to join. As with any Beta-test, the emphasis is on good feedback and bug reports, so I hope we can get a good crowd.

-------------------------

Anyway, I'm sure there are a ton of questions, so let me see if I can answer as many as possible:

Q. What exactly is required for a team to score?
A. Every player on the other team must be either dead, dying, or in the jail room. Observers are not counted as active players.

Q. How do players free their teammates?
A. It depends on the level, and it could potentially be anything from a forcefield switch to a fly-though door trigger. [However, I can tell you that all the levels built for BreakOut as of today have switches you have to 'bump' to activate.]

Q. What happens after all the players on one team are captured?
A. The 'capturing' team is awarded one point, everyone hears a team-score sound, and there is a 5-second countdown. After the 5 seconds, every player in the game is set back to 100 shields and 100 energy, and everyone is instantly teleported to an open room on their team's side to start the next 'round'.

Q. What happens to captured players after they respawn in the jail room?
A. Well, they're free to fly around and collect weapons or whatever they want, until they are either:
1. Released, or
2. Teleported out after the round is over
(Note that in both cases, they keep any weapons they've gathered).
There are other options as well:
3. Players can go into observer mode to help their team locate hidden opponents (this is risky, however, as this may cause them to miss the chance to get out when a teammate tries to free them). Coming out of observer mode simply puts them back in jail.
4. Depending on the level design, captured players may be able to shoot out of the jail room, all weapons count as normal.
5. Sometimes, players just goof around with their other captured teammates, lol.

Q. What happens when I first join a game?
A. You will initially show up in a jail room, but the 5-second 'new round' countdown will immediately start and subsequently teleport you into a room on your team's side.

Q. What levels are compatible with BreakOut?
A. So far, the levels which have been built are:
- \"GlassHouse BreakOut\", a modification (with permission) of RoadRunner's classic CTF and Anarchy level. This one has been by far the most popular level in early tests.
- \"HalfPipe BreakOut\", a modification of the original Outrage level, with a forcefield-enclosed jail room at each end.
- \"Jailhouse Kleptomania\", an original level by [RIP]Fusion, featuring a unique switch-and-blockade design for the jailrooms.
- \"WaterDucts BreakOut\" (unfinished), an original level by [RIP]d3jake.
- Other level designers have expressed interest in building or modifying levels for use with BreakOut; I'm happy to send out the detailed design specs for anyone who would like to build a BreakOut level.

Q. \"Can't players escape by just exiting and rejoining or going in and out of observer mode?\"
A. Nope, BreakOut watches for those scenarios; players just return to the jail room.

Q. \"How does it work when there is only one player on a team?\"
A. It essentially becomes Team Anarchy at that point. When that player is captured/killed, it's a score for the other team. BreakOut gets most interesting when there are more players, as the team momentum is able to swing back and forth by players breaking their teammates free.

Q. \"When can we try this?\"
A. I'll be posting a download link on Sunday afternoon, along with setting up some dedicated games for the Beta-testing. The mod and the first three levels listed above (GlassHouse BreakOut, HalfPipe BreakOut, and JailHouse Kleptomania) will be included for the Beta test. As I said above, everyone is welcome to join; just give me some good feedback regarding any problems and/or things you enjoy!

Q. \"Can we get some screenshots?\"
A. I'll try to get a couple of screenshots (to show you the HUD, and feature a couple of the levels) later this week.

Questions/comments? I'm looking forward to this!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

That really reminds me of Jailbreak for UT!
http://jailbreak.beyondunreal.com/
Can't wait to try this, but sadly I doubt anyone will play it, no offense (hell, hard to get a good Hoard game going, let alone anything with strategy!)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

We had games with 8 or 10 players just in the early testing, so I'm hopeful it'll get played.

If nothing else, it's something new, not the \"same-old same-old\" D3 levels. :)
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

More time wasted. Foil, we can't even get players to get out of skybox...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Wings wrote:Foil, we can't even get players to get out of skybox...
Exactly!

I will definatley play it if anyone else is though!
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

What time we gonna start? I should be around. I had a lot of fun with the first test. Kinda reminded me of my teen years. :roll:
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

Wings wrote:More time wasted. Foil, we can't even get players to get out of skybox...
You shoulda made it into "After Show" Wednesday night.

We try to do a non-overplayed level every Wednesday night, and get fairly full servers most weeks.
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wings »

grizz wrote:
Wings wrote:More time wasted. Foil, we can't even get players to get out of skybox...
You shoulda made it into "After Show" Wednesday night.

We try to do a non-overplayed level every Wednesday night, and get fairly full servers most weeks.
I've already given up on Descent - an alarming percentage of Descent players accuse of hacking consistently and back up unbased accusations religiously, and with few exceptions, the only levels I see played are Veins and Skybox; using the Anarchy and CTF gametypes. I've gotten as good as I care to get, and frankly, after doing the exact same thing for multiple years on end, Descent is pretty boring to me now.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

I've already given up on Descent - an alarming percentage of Descent players accuse of hacking consistently and back up unbased accusations religiously, and with few exceptions, the only levels I see played are Veins and Skybox; using the Anarchy and CTF gametypes. I've gotten as good as I care to get, and frankly, after doing the exact same thing for multiple years on end, Descent is pretty boring to me now.
Then why bother about what people do or don't play? I don't get it, if you no longer even enjoy the game,why worry about it. :?:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

grizz wrote:Then why bother about what people do or don't play? I don't get it, if you no longer even enjoy the game,why worry about it. :?:
x2
ImageImage
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

For the most part, that's what I've done.

Thank you for your insightful post Grendel, it almost brought me to tears, haha.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Alright, for those who do think Descent3 is still worth playing, I will be posting screenshots and a download link tomorrow afternoon, and there will be some servers available! :D
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

This sounds absolutely incredibly cool! I've just GOT to get d3 working on linux. Time to try again...
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JRock »

Sounds neat, reminds me of the Quake mod JailBreak bakc in the day. :)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

JRock wrote:Sounds neat, reminds me of the Quake mod JailBreak bakc in the day. :)
That really reminds me of Jailbreak for UT!
http://jailbreak.beyondunreal.com/
Can't wait to try this, but sadly I doubt anyone will play it, no offense (hell, hard to get a good Hoard game going, let alone anything with strategy!)
:)
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

[quote="DakatsuCan't wait to try this, but sadly I doubt anyone will play it, no offense (hell, hard to get a good Hoard game going, let alone anything with strategy!)
:)[/quote]

Every Wednesday we try to get a game going in a non overplayed level, and usually have good results.
A lot of times we do the same on Sundays.
We're gonna start posting discussion for what we want to play on the public side of our forum here:
http://rbb.ripteam.com/ if you want to get in on it.
I agree, it gets old at times.
If you catch me in an overplayed level and want to try and start up something different, just hollar.
I might finish the round I'm in, but then I'll jump out with ya. :!:
Sulaco
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sulaco »

Sounds fun...
Sulaco
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

tested alone on Halfpipe...

Post by shaleblade »

And it looks awesome.
No bugs, but I was alone on TCP/IP, so I'm just waiting for a BreakOut server to pop up =D.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I should be releasing the final version sometime in the next month. In the meantime, I can certainly put up a BreakOut Beta server again... just let me know! :)