What Operating System do you Play Descent 3 on?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

What Operating System do you Play Descent 3 on?

A windows platform (any of the 2 billiion versions)
85%
Mac OS (non-unix based)
3%
Mac OS (New)
3%
Linux (any distro)
9%

Total votes: 66
Andyvan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Andyvan »

Bubbalou:

I'm confused by your post. \"A D3 Linux player from any other operating system D3 install\". So, is it Linux or \"any other operating system\"?

Could you be more explicit as to the problems are?

Thanks.

-- Andyvan
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Let me explain, AndyVan.

Bubbalou often complains about any player or dedicated server which doesn't match his \"ideal\" standards of connection and gameplay.

It's his perogative to complain, but just be aware that he often whines about players on wireless connections, or when a server doesn't have 12PPS and rotational velocity packets turned on, etc.

He's trying to say that players on a Linux install are skippy/inconsistent when in an online game, making things harder for players on other OSs.

Personally, I don't agree, and that hasn't been my experience. But Bubba apparently thinks so.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Foil wrote:Descent3 Linux (Loki) - although you might be able to find a better price somewhere else.
THANKS!!!!!
Now I've got to get a new stick. Now way I'm going to get another Extreme 3d pro. I like the layout, but every single one I've purchased has lost calibration after about a year.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Unfortunately some here actually take my sarcasm about bad default network settings when installing and running Descent3/Descent3 Server seriously...
/me prepares the cheese and crackers for the W H I N E
Foil teh winz@!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, now who was it doing the whining? Oh, yeah:
BUBBALOU wrote:Repeat after me... can you say - slidshowsux, burstingsux, skippinsux, playersux from the ROOT on linux!
It's not fun for the rest of us...
Funny how the only person complaining (about Linux D3 players) in this thread is the one to accuse others of whining. :wink:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Don't you guys have something better to do? like NOT flame each other? this isn't your personal playground.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

Kilarin wrote:Oh cool! I've been trying to get d3 to work on Ubuntu without success yet.

Question, are these files actually in the public domain? No, I'm not threatening to turn anyone in, it's just that I'm a bit of a stickler for making certain I don't download illegal stuff. If I could find a d3 for linux, I'd be happy to spend cash on it.
That was my reasoning for hosting these files, and I made sure that they're only the Linux-specific ones, so you can't do a complete install without an actual D3 CD set. The Linux port has been out of print for years. I don't even think the Windows version is in print anymore. If Interplay/Parallax/Loki has issues, they can contact me, I'll be glad to talk with them about it, but they're wasting their time. I'm sure the Linux D3 images would show up on Piratebay shortly... I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I had some issues with installing D3 in Ubuntu, but reading and trial and error got it working. Now that I've got a good install, I can just copy the whole directory over to a new computer if I want... Linux is cool like that.

If anybody has problems installing D3 in Linux, I will volunteer to help them get it working. I think the game is worth it, and I think the freedom to get away from Windows is worth it. Getting the Linux version of D3 was one of the deciding factors in me ditching Windows... it was the only game I played on a regular basis.

And I'm definitely interested in hearing about connection issues with Linux clients. Were they running Munk's checksum workaround script? Were they patched correctly? Were they using long audio taunts, etc.? There's too many variables to just say "Linux clients suck". I have never had issues with it, and nobody's ever asked me about my connection when I play online.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Oh yeah, you can do this in Linux:

:D
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Nevermind...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol show off.

ANY WAYS...

again, This is to see what format is needed for getting 1.5 OFFICIALLY released.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Last I heard, development on 1.5 was totally dead in the water, and nobody else could get the code to finish it. We spent over a year trying to jump-start it. Most of us just gave up and just dealt with the 1.4 issues, or ran Windows-only 1.5 servers.

(EDIT) I just re-read through some of the old stuff about the 1.5 patch for Linux/OSX... it was early 2004 we were trying to get this pushed through. Kevin got busy and completely disappeared. His last post on this forum was:

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:51 pm

And there's been nothing since.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yup, guy got busy and started having kids!

:mrgreen: