*pokes head in* Huh. Koolbear's here, kewl. Where are my WC?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Nihilist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

*pokes head in* Huh. Koolbear's here, kewl. Where are my WC?

Post by Nihilist »

:) Heya, gang. Nih, formerly of the Wildcards here. I was reminiscing with my officemate about all the wicked games of the 90s, and I started gettin' all misty an' stuff thinking about Kali Central and all the gangs that hung out there.

I see that some of the newer generations of WCs are still here... anyone around that I'd recognize? I know KoolBear, so that's a plus... :) ZappaFan, Gre, etc. Gre was supposed to hook up with me for lunch in DC last year...

Well, just wanted to say hi. ;) I'll be around - I go by the online moniker of \"Turgenev\" these days since I was tired of hearing people mispronounce \"Nihilist\" constantly... so I go with a Russian name... yeah, smart. Playing City of Heroes for the last four years, but I also saw some vids on Jumpgate: Evolution come out, which is a spaceflight sim MMO...

I'm thinkin' it might be time for me to hit the skids again. :) Anyway, peace all, seeya 'round.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hi.

Although I think I was in the 'Cards after you were...
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

After some basic study of modern philosophy, I've never had any difficulty with nihilism.

Anyway, I've been in the Wildcards since early 1999, which means I've seen you before but only on Kali.
Nihilist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nihilist »

*grins* You're both after my time, then. I \"stepped\" away from the WC when Zonerie was in charge - probably late '97 or early '98. I was with the WC very near its beginning in 1995; Gre had just started forming the group with Ender, Solitude, Tenedos and a bunch of others when I'd found them. Heck, if you know Nevering (he and his son, Nero, both admin'd the WC site for many years, if they don't continue to do so now), I was the one who recruited him into the WC all that time ago. :)

If you're from '99, that's well after me then. I shouted on the WC board a few years ago, and found Piranha - he was the only one I remember having played with from the existing generation. If you guys're still rolling, I'm happy to see it! I was bragging about the WC (and the Descent-Kali community in general) with a co-worker today, partially because of a discussion on the upcoming spaceflight sim MMO, Jumpgate: Evolution, and thinking, \"Aah, to fly with the old crew again.\"

If there's a community who'd eat this game alive, I figured it'd be recovering Descentaholics. :)
\"Wake up. Time to die.\" - Nihilist's default kill taunt
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey nil. long time.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I remember Nevering, yeah. I seem to recall you as well, but that was from Descent server Kalichat, not the Wildcards.
Nihilist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nihilist »

'ey Ferno, good to see ya! :)

...so, can anyone gimme a \"10 year summary\" of what's been going on in the Descent community, or point me somewhere where it's documented? I have a bit of catching up to do... been a while since I flew a Pyro...
\"Wake up. Time to die.\" - Nihilist's default kill taunt
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

Wow ...\"Solitude\" ...there's a name I haven't seen in years.

- griffin / d0ggY
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

viewtopic.php?t=4953

People still play all Descents.
UncleSmitty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by UncleSmitty »

Damn, Nih, greets. Incredibly ltns!

Ditto on the nostalgia for D2 - I just grabbed D2X-XL. =D

-Smitts
Nero
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nero »

AHHHHH!!

Hey Nihilist! I just came to visit the forums on a whim of sorts and imagine my suprise to see you're post sitting here on the top! Anyways I'm alive and well, actually doing game development more recentlly, just left the project working on the America's Army video game. Working on my own stuff for a bit. My father is also well, mostly playing WoW and some single player FPS's though.

Anyways how have things been going for you?

Yeah, and Smitty, Great to see you as well.

Indy
Nihilist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nihilist »

OH SCHNAPP! Smitts! Nero! XD Dammit, we need to get Nevering in here, and the Fantastic Four would be complete... Well, and KrueL, too... Okay, Fab Five. Whaddevah.

Smitty: Dude, it's been like NINE YEARS, where the heck have you been? :) This is AWEsome, you were the one person I couldn't effin' find on The Google(tm). So how YOU doin'? Shoot me some contact info, maybe we'll get you, me and Nev in an all-nite Diablo run ending around 7am...

Indy: Heh, can't call you pipsqueak anymore, huh? :) Doing game development - which game, what're your projects, if you can disclose it? Doing the IT thing here in DC now, Tina (Lady_N'il, if you remember her) and I moved down to Baltimore for her doctoral degree, and then we moved to outside DC a few years ago. So Nev's a WoWhead? Eaugh. REAL men wear spandex in City of Heroes (@Turgenev, Freedom Server :)). Been doing a bit of COD4 myself, but the MP doesn't interest me much. TF2, however... ah, that's just a bucketload of awesome. :)

So, D2X-XL, huh? What's it require for TCP<>IPX translation, or does it need anything like Kali anymore? I could get a game goin' in D2. Be interesting to see how it would run on my God Box. :)

-N.
Nero
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nero »

I actually just left the project working on the America's Army, now I'm trying to start up my own projects. Also, TF2, What's you're steamID, mine should be Addrenavan

Also I'll see if I can't get Nev to poke his head in.

Indy
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Technically, no, D2X-XL doesn't require Kali any more. Doesn't mean you can't use it, of course...
UncleSmitty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by UncleSmitty »

PM'd ;)

Indy - HOLA! Get Nev on here to say 'Hi' at least! The F. Four live again =D

Yea, D2X-XL allows direct connects and trackers, so no more Kali needed, though of course I had to fire it up again. Pretty slim pickings in the D channel, but not bad for nearly 10 years out I suppose. Damn hard to find a Gig2 game tho...

*ducks all the random junk thrown @ a shaker player* =)

-Smitts
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ahhh, back in '97. Gigadeath 2 was my all time favorite to play back in those days. :cry:
Nevering
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Well, well... the gang is all here

Post by Nevering »

Very nice to see you all here. It's been awhile and damn I miss descent. Sure wish someone would whip out a new one.. hint hint... Indy.

I've been doing fine, except for a fricking 3 year law suit (ended last year) that kinda kicked my butt. Bad business partners.

Still living at Tahoe. Kids are getting older and moving out, same here on the older part. As Indy has said he has turned into quite the programmer and game dev.

Since Descent I've been into UT, Diablo, WOW, Half Live 2 and all the follow-ons. Mostly WOW I'd say.

I'll be poking my head in from time to time. BTW, I'm still hosting the Wildcard site (I think) lol.

It would be real sweet to see Descent on today's computers and internet, lag timing would be much less of an issue.

take care all
Nevering
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Oooh, yes. I remember Nihilist. I remember him well. *shakes fist at the sky*

;p
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Sllik.. didn't I tell you not to be a stranger? and then you go ahead and pull a disappearing act on us. :)
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Lies! I've been around, I just haven't been posting. ;p

I've just been hanging out in IRC mostly, coding and occasionally firing up TF2 or COD4. I might pick up GRID at some point, but I'm trying to refrain for the sake of $.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I wanted Grid until I found out the game requires Min Dual Core. Oh well.
.eK.Warlord
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by .eK.Warlord »

Im still a Wildcard at heart.Wheres Cuda,Ender,Chipmunk,Bama? :)
And Hows it going Nevering?