Dreams

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I've had a strangely persistent nightmare since early childhood, which ended about a year or so ago with a recently deceased family dog chasing off the persistent entity (the only part that was persistent about the dreams). Haven't had it since. How's that for neat? \"Good dog!\" ;)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Kiran wrote:Huh. Daydreams are interesting. You never know what your dreams will turn out to be!
One day at my one of my old jobs, I was by myself and bored, so my mind wandered. Next thing I knew, I was having a bad dream and it resulted in me getting hit by a car in the highway across the parking lot.

Later that I day I explained the dream I had to my co-worker and he stared at me in shock. When I asked him why he is so affected by this, he brought me to the back of the room where there's a uniform shirt being hung on the wall. Above it said "In memory of (name)". He told me that the dream I just had was exactly what happened to this woman. She was working when she got hit by a car at the highway and was killed.

Weird thing about this is I only knew of a woman being killed on the highway, but I never knew who she was or why she was there. It occured years before I had that weird daydream.
Having a dream about getting hit by a car while someone that used to work in your company got hit by a car isn't exactly the most amazing of amazings.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I see your point. I should have been a bit more clearer in my point when I said that the ending result of my experience was the same as the woman's. Basically, the moment-by-moment experience that I had, according to my co-worker who was there during the last hour of her life, occurred in the exact same way leading up to the moment she was hit by the car. If you still want call that unamazing, that's fine. Sure, it's just a coincidence that a person has a dream where she gets hit by a car at the same spot that someone was hit and killed by a car. It is, however, something else when the person has a dream of going through the exact steps leading up to getting hit by a car and that turns out to be the same way the person took and was killed. Especially if it was an imaginary day-dream. (I should've added imaginary at the first post. Sorry, the usage of \"daydream\" is different here)
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

Why are you having daydreams about getting run over by cars?
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Wings, it was at least 4 years ago, and I had nothing better to do at work (I temporarily took over the store's fuel center). The daydream just started with thinking about helping a driver pump fuel into the car.
The best way to put it, I've gotten in touch with my psychic side and became a median to learn the last moments of a seemly nice woman's life before she died. :wink: (And yes, that statement was exxagerated from watchign too many Most Haunted shows :P ).
I got no way to explain how I could find out the moments before she died, but it's weird.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

In terms of stuff like this, I don't believe in coincidences. I think there's some connection there Kiran
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I once went through this period of time where the first thing I saw when I woke up every morning was a person. It was kinda scary. Basically, no matter what I was looking at, my mind would see it as a person. This would last a second or so. Then I would realize that whatever I was looking at wasn't a person. Nothing about what I was visually seeing had changed, but something else, like how my mind processed visual patterns, did. In addition to being just a freaky experience, it was a testimony to how \"seeing\" is a multi-stage process. This still happens from time to time, but by now, I know it's happening before it even does.
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by shaleblade »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I've had many prophetic dreams. Sad part is I don't remember them until that exact moment in time passes.

It's reffered to as Deja-vu. It's a split second image that happens in real life for me and I'm like, I have seen this before.

I've had this since I was a teen.
Same.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

shaleblade wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:I've had many prophetic dreams. Sad part is I don't remember them until that exact moment in time passes.

It's reffered to as Deja-vu. It's a split second image that happens in real life for me and I'm like, I have seen this before.

I've had this since I was a teen.
Same.
I'm not sure when they started for me, but I have the same at times. I've even had the realization that it's a deja-vu in the dream a couple times- when it actually happens I usually lose it upon realizing that it's a deja-vu IRL, and being aware that the realization was part of the dream, too.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have that the exact same way too. It's sort of like an infinite loop... in the dream, when whatever it is happens, I remember I had a dream about it, and a dream about that dream and so on... and the same when it happens in waking life.

BTW - Duper, I have obviously been playing Descent too much, as a few nights ago, I had a dream that only involved firing at a class 1 drone and missing. I wonder if my mind is trying to tell me I'm pathetic at Descent. The thing is, I already knew that.
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

In my psych studies I've done a bit of research on dreams by field of specialty is neurophysiology so I'll just shed some light on deja vu, which someone mentioned.

The neurological cause of deja vu is most likely as a result of memory cells within the brain. When we experience an event, we store aspects of the event in neurons and these neurons will connect with other neurons that are related. For instance, if you see an apple fall from a tree and hit someone on the head, you would store this information in memory but it would likely \"connect\" to other associated memories such as: Isaac Newton, eating an apple, trees, the color red, gravity, etc. This is why, when you can't remember something, we often will later remember it. This isn't as a result of simply \"not thinking about it and then it comes to us\". What usually happens is that we will see some latent object in our environment that will trigger a series of neurons that eventually connect to what we wanted to remember. Here's a wild example:

My neighbour's wife's name is Jessica - but I can't remember this at this time.

1. 4 hours later I see a car accident
2. I see an ambulance arrive
3. I notice the red lights flashing
4. The lights remind me of \"cherries\" (the term for the lights on top of a cop car)
5. My neighbour's wife's middle name happens to be Cherise
6. I think of the word Cherise and it links with Jessica
7. All of a sudden I remember her name and don't even consciously realize why.

How does this all relate to deja vu?

What happens if you see an event and store the information into memory cells before you even consciously perceive the event? When your consciousness finally catches up to what's going on, you will perceive your surroundings. The closest memory you have to the current surroundings you're perceiving is also the same information you burned into your neurons just a few (mille)seconds before. This is where the example above comes into play - when we see an event, we try to relate it to other similar memories - a sort of \"categorization\" mechanism. So in other words, we basically see the event and then trigger the neurons that had just seen the same event and it feels like we've experienced the exact same thing before.

This probably sounds complicated so let me use a real-life example (albeit a not-so-great one):

Imagine you're trying to a very small file that takes like 500ms to download. If you start downloading it but before it finishes, you click to download it again, you will end up with a conflict - two files trying to store under the same name. Altho Windows adds a (1) to the second file name, if you didn't realize you'd clicked the download button twice, you might see the first file and then all of a sudden you see the second file. This is a poor example but hopefully you can relate it to the explanations above.

You might take note next time you experience deja vu - were you groggy? not focusing? \"spaced out\"?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hehe nice try.

Try a dream that occurred a full year before. ..and you recall the dream before and after the event in crystal clarity.

Although I'm sure the situation you described does happen. I've had that happen too.
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

I should reiterate that deja vu and dreams are not at all mediated by the same processes. Deja vu is an instantaneous \"malfunction\", if you will, of memory cells overlapping with conscious perception.

Dreams, on the other hand, are more of a long-term state of \"unconscious wakefulness\" in which our mind creates it's own perceptual subconsciousness that we aren't actually conscious of. Quite a mouthful. Think of it like being the cameraman on a movie set. The director and actors are creating the movie, and you're there watching it and creating an image of it, but you aren't actually in control of the scene or involved in it.

One thing I've always found most intriguing is how we can even remember dreams to begin with. To me it seems counterintuitive but I've heard some dream researchers talk about the belief that dreams are actually a mechanism used to remap and reorganize information within the brain while it is turned off. It'd be like a sysadmin who, at night when the network is off, goes in and reorganizes the day's files into proper directories. This would explain why we often dream about things that are semi-related to recent events or things we are dwelling on.

But again, all of this is speculation - there's lots of theories out there but no one really knows. One thing that foils most dream-researchers is the role of nightmares. What biological benefit do they serve? Many people say we have nightmares more often when we are stressed or anxious and this is probably true - if we're upset and thinking bad thoughts, these might creep into our dreams. But why would our body permit this? What function do nightmares serve?

Crazy!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think it's more like a emergency break valve like on a pressure cooker. Nightmares that is. Things bubble up from our subconscious (which is recording all day long) and our \"ID\".

I'm sure there is substance to our dreams but sometimes you'll have better luck deciphering the contents in your garbage disposal. Sometimes there is stuff there and sometimes there isn't. ^^
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

The problem with the \"release valve\" idea is that everything in our body has a physiological process and reason behind it. The argument between dream theorists is \"why\" we dream to begin with - what physiological function does it serve. The idea I agree with is a reorganization of data, perhaps neural pruning in some sense. As for nightmares, how does it \"release\" whatever pressure is there just by having a nightmare?

An analogy is why we have headaches. Everyone says \"stress, tension, lack of sleep, slept wrong, etc\" but what physiological processes underly a \"head ache\"? How does your head actually have 'tension' and what does this mean in terms of bodily cells and organs. Granted, headaches are well explained in the literature - but dreams are not.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

There is more to dreams than physiological processing. I know that science has a major problem with the whole \"soul thing\", but there is a part of us that is more than goo. Our Psyche has an ethereal side that needs down time as well.

I'm sure you won't agree, but that's where I stand. :)

The \"why\" and \"how\" of the matter is more than my understanding encompasses.
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

Fair enough. Out of curiousity, do you think animals have souls? I ask because animals dream but most people who believe in souls and spirits do not believe animals possess souls.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

d0ggY wrote:but most people who believe in souls and spirits do not believe animals possess souls.
That's to hide the fact that they're mostly uncaring towards many animals.
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

I'm sure anything with a consciousness, if there are souls, have souls. This includes animals.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I absolutely agree that animals have souls.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think they do.

They have the capacity for emotion. They are affectionate, they get angry, they show need and want.

I know my cats dream. One even talks in his sleep. o_0
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If you've ever looked into a fox's eyes, it's impossible to believe they don't have souls. (At least for me.) :P :P
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

Heres something.

Im in my moms car riding home from school in the passenger side. I fall half asleep and all of a sudden i have this feeling (while im sleep) like i am in my computer chair at home. All of a sudden a motorcycle passes by on the other lane and i wake up. But, for a split second i thought i was waking up from my computer chair to a motorcycle (in my house :P ) Its like one of those times where you think you are somewhere else but you are not.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I've had that happen to me a few times the past several weeks. I kept waking up in confusion about where I was or what was going on. I would think that one thing is going on and it actually isn't. Then there's a couple times where I thought I was somewhere else and I really wasn't. :?

Then again, I was going through hypoglycemia and confusion was one of the symptoms. :|
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

Every six months or so, I'll have a dream that I'm covered in spiders. I'll wake up in real life, and run out into the hall yelling.

I've done this ever since I was a kid. I'm 27 years old now.

It always strikes me as odd, since most of my dreams I never remember, or if I do I never jolt awake from them. It's those spiders that get me every time.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I had two really wierd dreams last night.

The first was that the object I'd used as a bookmark before I fell asleep was a bomb, and it was obviously going to explode.

The second dream was on the Descent BB, someone was asking Diedel to use D2X-XL to save someone else's soul.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can't remember when, but I had a dream once where I turned into an E-Bandit and killed my Grade 11 Physics teacher. It's strange, because I like my Grade 11 Physics teacher.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Perhaps you killed him and, eating his heart, you absorbed his essence. The ultimate demonstration of admiration.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Pardon me for bringing up an old thread but... OMG.

One night not too long ago, I had a dream where I was at work. I just standing at one of the registers (or whatever I was doing) and was watching this little girl sitting on the baby seat of the buggy while her mom is busy with something. The girl was getting obnoxious and moving herself back and forth to make the buggy move the same way. Then she started getting up and as she got up, the buggy was tilted forward, causing her to tilt as well. Just as I saw her start to fall out, I darted to catch her. I think I woke up before I did because I don't remember if I did get her in time.

Today, at work, same scenario 'cept I was running the podium at the self checkouts. This woman was too busy picking up products from the groceries to notice her toddler getting up to climb out of the baby seat. I looked up, saw that the buggy started tilting over as the products on the other side of the buggy were being picked up. I panicked and yelled \"Baby! Baby! Your baby's falling out!\" The mom was able to react quickly and grab her before she fell completely out.

Weird, eh? :P Behold the power of mysterious coincidences!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

In pretty much every dream I've had lately, I've been a bird, or a dragon... anything that can fly, it seems.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Alter-Fox wrote:In pretty much every dream I've had lately, I've been a bird, or a dragon... anything that can fly, it seems.
I think that's an indication you should take helicopter lessons.
Andy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Andy »

I had wierd dream about a friend of mine I haven't been in contact with for over a year. So just for fun, I googled her name and came up with her account on a image hosting site (ringo.com). I thought \"cool, maybe I'll check it out later today.\" So later that evening I go on, and the entire site is shut down for good. It's as if I wasn't supposed to see the site... It's kinda creepy. It might just be a weird coincidence, but it seems like a little more than that.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.