How many Descenters play Magic cards?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

How many Descenters play Magic cards?

Post by Alter-Fox »

How many Descent players play Magic: The Gathering? I'm interested to know (obviously.) I play, but I'm not very good at it. :P
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Randor244 »

I've played quite much, however I havn't the cards anymore. but sure it is fun.

By the way, just got an idea for us real descent freaks!
We could make a Descent card game, very much like Magic! With diferent bots instead of fantasy beings! And so on...

If anyone shows interest a new thread could be started.
GUIDEBOT RULES!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I learned to play because I work at a summer camp, but don't have any cards.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

I dont play magic, dont care much for the game, found it too easy. But I do play the star wars ccg.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Half my co-workers play every day at lunch. They invited me to play with them a couple of times, which I did... but it really wasn't all that appealing to me.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

have some old cards from when it first came out. Never really got into it.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

I do, but I haven't had a chance to play in ages!
captain_twinkie wrote:found it too easy.
If you think a PvP-only game is "too easy", then I'd say you're doing it wrong. Not to mention that the guys who are actually really good at it make a huge bundle of money from it.
Randor244 wrote:By the way, just got an idea for us real descent freaks!
We could make a Descent card game, very much like Magic! With diferent bots instead of fantasy beings! And so on...
Is this before or after you realise that the majority of descenters are never ever actually going to be able to get close enough to each other to play each other?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I've ignored the game in it's entirety.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Testiculese wrote:I've ignored the game in it's entirety.
Same here.
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Randor244 »

Is this before or after you realise that the majority of descenters are never ever actually going to be able to get close enough to each other to play each other?
Hmm... that's true. But what could be done is to create some kind of net game with tournaments and so on. Magic the Gathering Online exists, so why not?

Well, maybe because just a few of the descenters are such freaks so they actually would like to play thiss I guess...
GUIDEBOT RULES!
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

Randor244 wrote:By the way, just got an idea for us real descent freaks!
you mean like this: http://www.descentforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2290 ?
nerds :P
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Randor244 wrote:Hmm... that's true. But what could be done is to create some kind of net game with tournaments and so on. Magic the Gathering Online exists, so why not?
The problem with this is that programming all the card effects in the Magic videogames takes a HELL of a lot of work!
Of course, if you can make a simpler system than MtG, then sure. As a general rule, any effect in MtG that has it's own name (ie. mountainwalk, haste, vigilance, trample), or any effect that would be sorta similar to those, are easy to do. Any effect that take several lines to describe aren't. And don't include any "play during your opponents turn" effects, because they really slow things down and really are a pain to program! However, you can include cards that have an automatic effect, such as "when an opponent next plays a card, counter it" that can't be decided whether to be activated or not. (also, you could include face-down trap cards if you want, falling under the 'no choice' part)
Oh, and you'll have to find someone that can program online too. I can program, but I can't do squat for connected games (the fact that I'm working on an MORGP is aside from the point)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

I played the game a bit in highschool, by borrowing friend's decks. It was kinda fun i guess.
But the game dynamics mainly relies on the quality of your deck - which in turn relies on how much money you have spent on it. After i realised that, and saw other companies trying to get in on the cashcow (ie: pokemon cards etcetcetc) i was sickened and lost interest in buying any cards myself - i didn't want to feed a game dynamic where you buy your way to victory. That's just wrong and lame.

But other than that i liked the occult themed game dynamic and artwork (as a young fundamentalist christian the fear that someone would find out i was playing with this stuff was a bit of a thrill OMG).
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I disagree Roid. Your skill does not vary directly with how much money you have spent on your deck. Sure, a more expensive deck might have some better cards, but you need to have the cheap, simple cards to balance the big ones out. There are also cheap decks (such as Burn-Decks) that can really take out more expensive, elaborate decks. It's more on how well you can build an excellent deck, not how much money you can pay for it.

This is funny. I've played a decent amount over the summer, but I don't even own my own deck. And yet I'm rendering this much judgment.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

My brother was really into Magic for a while, and then he underwent Roid's disillusionment. I got a small packet of them for a guy's demonstration speech in college, but never got into it.

I too wonder what a Descent card game would be like! Maybe there'd be cards for weapons you can draw, and you'd collect cards that advanced your distance through a level, up to the reactor, and you'd have to collect a certain amount to be able to reach the exit after blowing the reactor. And you'd play attack cards against opponents who've played the same location cards (in sequence) as you, and the attack strength would depend on the weapons you have and a roll of a die, and those attacks would pile up for the player, who could only lower it by playing drawn shield cards. When the attack cards pile up high enough, the killed player must discard all his distance cards and put all his weapon/powerup cards in a pile that he has only a certain number of turns to regain by drawing enough distance cards. Or maybe the attacker or any other player playing the same location can pick up (some of) them. Attacking with energy weapons would deplete an appropriate number of energy cards (chips?), which would be replenished on respawn or the playing of the Energy Center card. And we can't forget about the hostages. Maybe the location cards would indicate which location cards are adjacent to each other and thus playable in sequence, and indicate multiple configurations depending on the level selected at the game's start...

Just some ideas.