So what's everyone reading?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

So what's everyone reading?

Post by BigSlideHimself »

I've had some time off since school got out so I've been reading about 4-6 hours a day. Working on the Hyperion series now. What have you all got?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The last book I read was one my wife and I read together: The Time Traveler's Wife

As far as the last series I read, it was the Ender books.

There's nothing I'm reading at the moment, but I'm thinking about picking up the Lord of the Rings trilogy again... I haven't read them since I was a teenager.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Education books: my final exams start today!
But normally, the last book I was reading was \"Do Ants Have Areholes\".
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Right now I'm reading two books.

1) The Return by Buzz Aldrin (he signed it for me)
2) Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Why People Believe Weird Things

I've mostly stopped arguing with folks here on .net and on .com because I've come to realize it's generally futile. Instead I've decided to spend my efforts on figuring out what's wrong with people's mental wiring. Unfortunately, despite its promising title this book isn't as revealing as I'd like.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Genghis wrote:what's wrong with people's mental wiring.
$10 says that when you say 'what's wrong', you mean 'why aren't they like mine'.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Only book I'm reading is \"Does the center Hold?\" for my intro philosophy class. I'm gonna have to write a paper soon... mebbe i'll post it in the other thread for citicism so I can better argue for/against the topic. :P There are some good eyes in this board. ;)

What I'd like to read when I have the time to is Gregory Maguire's \"Wicked\" which is about the wicked witch of the west. I heard it's good!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'd suggest the Uplift Saga by David Brin. Those were the best books I've ever read.

Also, the Age of Fire trilogy by E.E. Knight was really good, if you like dragons.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I can only read on a bus during a trip and I haven't been taking a bus ride long enough to read more than 1-2 pages at a time. So I actually gave up reading a few years ago. My bus rides have just gotten longer so I may end up taking up reading again. Just not sure what to read.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Genghis wrote:Why People Believe Weird Things

I've mostly stopped arguing with folks here on .net and on .com because I've come to realize it's generally futile. Instead I've decided to spend my efforts on figuring out what's wrong with people's mental wiring. Unfortunately, despite its promising title this book isn't as revealing as I'd like.
I skimmed that book once in the bookstore. Looks interesting. You might also check out: Crimes Against Logic

Thanks for the suggestions AlterFox, I'll look into them.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

When I get a break from my textbooks I read \"Social Work in Schools\" by Linda Openshaw. I also have \"The Republican War on Science\" by Chris Mooney and \"Visions\" by Michio Kaku which I will read this summer.

Bettina
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Grendel, I've been reading the God Delusion as well, what do you make of it?
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

ShotGun News on the GSG-5, good stuff :twisted:
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Currently reading \"The Forgotten Man\" by Amity Shlaes.

Next up: \"The Great Upheaval\" by Jay Winik.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

BigSlideHimself wrote:Grendel, I've been reading the God Delusion as well, what do you make of it?
I think it's a pretty good book. Gives you some ideas about what's wrong with people's mental wiring ;)
ImageImage
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I'm about to break into Ralph Kimball's The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit for a Business Intelligence class I'm in at work.
I've also managed to carve out some time between my arrival at job's parking lot (and after my morning post-commute nap) and the time I walk up to my desk to gradually read Martin Kihn's A$$hole: How I Got Rich and Happy by Not Giving A Damn About Anyone. Pretty funny stuff so far!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I like the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster, as well as the Artemus Fowl series by Eion Colfer. Good books I might add :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Anyone read, Steven King's, Dark Tower series?

What's your take on it? Thought about maybe reading it.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Re:

Post by Genghis »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Anyone read, Steven King's, Dark Tower series?

What's your take on it? Thought about maybe reading it.
Here's your answer, fishbulb:

viewtopic.php?t=7145&highlight=
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Fishbulb?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Deliverer by C.J. Cherryh, most recent of her Foreigner series.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Anyone familiar with this book?

I usually only read science-fiction, but the way this book is written is unbelieveable. It gets better and better; it seems every few pages I'm saying \"Oh my god this book is ridiculously good\" out loud. Highly recommended
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
toms
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by toms »

my life by bill clinton

im not much into politics.. but this book is pretty interesting, and after all, he was a great president right?
we had great great music in the 90's... everyone was happy.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I liked My Life. Clinton is very well-read and his writing isn't as pedestrian as I expected.

Invisible Man is also good.

I just started Moby Dick. So far, I'm floored. Anyone else read it?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

BigSlideHimself wrote:I just started Moby Dick. So far, I'm floored. Anyone else read it?
It was required reading in high school (hey, I'm surprised I remembered something from that far back :P ).

I thought it was a great read. Lots of my classmates didn't share my enthusiasm.

Other great sea yarns -
The Old Man and the Sea
Captains Courageous
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I recently completed \"Small Favor\" the latest in Jim Butchers \"Harry Dresden\" series. I'm really enjoying this series. The guy has an incredible sense of humor without being just silly. It's a fine balancing point. He can be absolutely hilarious and deadly serious all at the same time. \"Polka will never die!\" :)

I followed that by going through Patricia McKillip's entire \"Riddle Master of Hed\" series again, since I hadn't read it in years and years.

I just reread C. S. Lewis's \"The Great Divorce\" with the family while on vacation. We also listened to \"Hans Brinker Or The Silver Skates\", \"The Reluctant Dragon and most of \"At the Back of the North Wind\". All available as free audio books from http://www.LibriVox.org. Hans Brinker is good, but a bit slow at times. (Lots of history/culture lessons). The Reluctant Dragon is always fun, and we are still a few chapters from done with \"the North Wind\", so I can't give a full review, but so far it's great and surprising.

I just completed \"Taught by a Tiger\". Good book, but my son read it faster than I did, that's embarrassing. But then, he also just completed the first Harry Potter book in only a few days. He's a pretty fast reader for 9.

I'm almost done with Cherry's \"Destroyer\" the 7th book in Cherryh's Foreigner Series. There are two after that and I will proceed onto them next!

And in May and June I completed James through Revelation and started over with Genesis and Exodus. I've moved on to Romans right now. I'm going to try and mix up Old and New Testament a bit this time around.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Kilarin wrote:I just reread C. S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" with the family while on vacation.
Interesting, I'm just now listening to a song inspired by that book (one of my favorites by CS Lewis): Sixpence None the Richer's "Soul". :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Structure determination of the double ring planetary nebula NGC 2392
Planetary Nebulae Expansion Distances. II. NGC 6572, NGC 3242, and NGC 2392

I have over 500 similar white papers that I'm shambling through.

Not really into fiction anymore. I've read all of Asimov's stuff, John Grisham, Steven King, and similar authors over the years. Too many authors to count. Anything I pick up nowadays is usually a rehash of something I've already read. (Same with movies, mostly)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Foil wrote:
Kilarin wrote:I just reread C. S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" with the family while on vacation.
Interesting, I'm just now listening to a song inspired by that book (one of my favorites by CS Lewis)
Lewis is great in general, but I'm right with you there, "The Great Divorce" is one of my favorites!

I'll have to see if I can find that music, sounds really cool!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the son and I are in the middle of "The Two Towers". We were listening to it on the way to and from school, but will probably slow way down now since he's out of school.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

I've been reading a very large amount of ordinary language philosophy lately, primarily Wittgenstein and Bouwsma. They're pretty much the only books I've been reading for months on end. They're accessible, enjoyable, and they don't seem to fail miserably at replying to philosophical questions either.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Finished Invisible Man, unbelievable book, also finished:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
HIGHLY recommended for any sci-fi fan. One of the most badass sci-fi books you will ever read, expertly crafted and unimaginably imaginative. READ IT

Bel Canto by ??
Read this in two days, anyone heard of it? About a high-scale party consisting of a variety of international players that gets taken hostage by a group of terrorists. As the days go on, the line between friend and enemy blur... an excellent read! HIGHLY recommended for anyone who thinks this is their type of book. This isn't my type of book at all (see above for what I like) and I still really enjoyed it.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Oh, I forgot one!

Got through this one as a book-on-CD while on a road trip a few months back:
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Yep, the story is as intentionally cheesy as the title. :lol: But somehow it's utterly entertaining... all the classic superhero types rolled into a goofball but interesting plotline of mayhem. And it was completely hilarious, a perfect break from some of the more serious fiction I've read recently.