Monitor/Display Problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Monitor/Display Problem

Post by pipsqueak10 »

I seem to be missing about one inch off the right side of my display giving me a smaller screen. I've tried different display settings with no luck.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

take the case off your moniter.

disclamer: don't kill yourself, moniters hold a lot of charge even after they are unplugged. don't go stabbing things with a metal object.

there should be little turny knobby things to turn that adjust things like the horizontal position.

MOBI WOULD PROLLY LIKE ME TO TELL YOU THAT HE RECOMMENDS NOT POKING AROUND AT ALL COZ YOU WILL DIE but i say he's a pussy. there's no harm in just looking inside, just careful what you poke.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I really doubt your going to find "turny things inside", and if you do... turn the wrong one and make an easy monitor repair for a tech into an impossible one.
Monitor technology has changed, it's all digital now.

Any money a cap has failed or changed value in the deflection circuit. Take it to an Electronics repair shop if its a decent monitor. If not, get a new one.

And poking around inside your monitor can kill you.
Laugh all you want ROID, you are telling people to do an extremely dangerous thing.

Here's one for you, take a pistol, load it with one round, spin the "turny thing" and place it to your noggin, squeeze the trigger.

That's exactly what your doing when poking around a monitor with no fricken clue.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

What Canuck said.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Yeah I generally frown at sticking my hands inside electronics. I do, however appreciate the input.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

There are some controls on the inside of the monitor on the back left, for power and focus, they have nothing to do with screen position so just stay away from them. They are only if you need to adjust the brightness beond what is avaiable from the front panel. In addition to that, the back of your CRT monitor can have anywhere from 10 to 30 kvolts running through it while powered, and dont think unplugging it is enough, they can hold a charge for years. Just be smart, keep the cover on your monitor and have it serviced by a professional.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i agree also. i learned that the hard way with a old 4" B&W CRT screen that had been sitting on a shelf for about 4 years, it disintegrated half of a 8" long screwdriver
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Put it to you this way, I've got a damn degree in this ★■◆●, and even I won't go beyond the RGB and B/C pots. At this point, its better to just have it repaired. If its what I think it is, it shouldn't take too long to fix at all.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

okay okay I get it! I'm not sticking anything in it. I'm gonna get it serviced. (that doesn't sound right} :)
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Hey post the size, make, and model if you can.

The way CRT prices are going you might wanna buy new.

This looks purdy;
http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec. ... ia=BA10041
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

If you use a good revolver, playing russian roulette is actually damn safe, because the chamber with the round in it will always wind up at top-dead-centre, or bottom-dead-centre.

Pulling the trigger advances the chambers one notch and fires. You're safe!

Note: GOOD revolver means, VERY WELL BALANCED. Don't try this at home.

Roidster: try poking around inside your own monitor - not good for your health I think!

Generally, it's refresh rate which affects screen location - and POWERSTRIP will allow you to position the screen correctly provided the monitor isn;t actually shagged.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Mobius wrote:Roidster: try poking around inside your own monitor - not good for your health I think!
i DO poke around. and i have 2 partially dead 21" moniters in the garage for use in high voltage experiments.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

roid wrote:
Mobius wrote:Roidster: try poking around inside your own monitor - not good for your health I think!
i DO poke around. and i have 2 partially dead 21" moniters in the garage for use in high voltage experiments.
did you have the presence of mind to discharge them before you poked around in them?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

no

and i don't just blindly "poke around", poking anything is just asking for trouble.

especially fat guys at pubs. it's a no-no. "no poking, pls stop with teh pokeing".

but it's so ahrd to stop :lol:
*poke*pokoe*

don't poke things in moniters, they arn't vaginas.
you'll get a zapperoony and do a dance. but yo ucan totally do the foreplay thing with the knobby things you find inside moniters. tweak tweak.

(note: keep mr peni outof powersocket, it's linked to capaciters)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

When I was in high school, someone took apart a monitor for that reason. He touched the wrong thing went flying and died. Don't ★■◆● with monitors if you have no clue.

I've seen people discharge with a screw driver before. Now that is funny.. :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

JMEaT wrote:Don't **** with monitors if you have no clue.
agreed.

i think the advice "don't poke things" is enough advice to keep you safe enough when dealing with a naked moniter.
as jmeat says, touch the wrong thing and you could die, so don't go touching things, you're playing russian roulette. (uh, the kind with the cheap gun).
but looking is fine.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

JMEaT wrote:I've seen people discharge with a screw driver before. Now that is funny.. :lol:
Yeah, its hilarious when people nearby see this big ass spark when they touch the bit under the suction cup. :D Hell, one of my professors has a special probe that you can stick under there to measure the voltage.