Jumpgate Evolution...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Jumpgate Evolution...

Post by Sllik »

...is starting to really take shape. The control scheme is reportedly completely configurable and aggressively supports joysticks, mice, keyboards, or any combination at this point. They're sacrificing as much realism as possible for the sake of speed and fun, and since I consider that to be one of the primary design decisions that made Descent so engaging and addictive, I'm stoked. Think X-wing + Descent + EVE Online. They're also trying very hard to make sure that it runs smoothly on lower-end systems, so not as many people would get left out in the cold based on system specs as you might think.

Yes, you have afterburners.. and different kinds of weapons, both missiles and guns... and some lateral controls.. and several axes to work with. I haven't been able to try it out personally, though, so most of what I know is based on forum info and other feedback. For a game that's essentially not even in closed beta, the combat mechanics, flight model, UI, and control methods are already polished, though not finalized

Some of the other recent Youtube vids available ( most of them from Connect '08 ) will give more granular detail on what the UI and combat look like, but I like the first link for the overall glimpse at the flavor and playability. The second link offers a lot of info on their intended goals and design at release. The third link is their official teaser trailer:

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Look really good.

I look forward to trying out when it's released.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

That does look cool....
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

They're taking beta sign-ups, by the way. The closed beta is likely not far off at this point, so feel free to submit your info. The form is in the upper right on most pages of their site:

http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Duly noted... Signed up for Beta.

Looks like an excellent prospect!

I've been missing a really good space simulation since Freespace 2 is no longer hosted by Volition!

http://www.volition-inc.com/

8)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

SirWinner wrote:I've been missing a really good space simulation since Freespace 2 is no longer hosted by Volition!

http://www.volition-inc.com/

8)
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

NetDevil held an after-hours Meet & Greet down in Austin, TX during the AGDC and I drove down from Dallas to see if I could confirm some things related to the control scheme for my own personal interests, but arrived late and didn't get a chance to confirm much. I did get to personally see it in action, though, and was thoroughly impressed with its playability in its current state.

There were a couple of moments where they flew through some of the larger asteroids in an asteroid field... and I got a very distinct hint of Descent-ness, because you can strafe and tri-chord just as easily based on what I saw. I even overheard someoe say 'the Descent guys are gonna enjoy this'. ;)

Later, they flew around a capital ship and it seemed comparable to Descent Freespace as far as size and scope. They still have a long way to go as far as content and UI enhancements, but the flight mechanics seem solid. Hopefullly, they'll be starting up a closed beta soon, but I have no idea when that will actually happen. I had to laugh out loud, though, when I mentioned Karash's name in passing at one point. The look I got from some of the old Jumpgate Classing players in attendance was one of almost reverent awe. He's made quite a name for himself over there. ;p