Carbon Belch Day

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Carbon Belch Day

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

http://www.carbonbelchday.com
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php? ... geId=65996

Hehe.

My first impression was that it was kind of childish, but I realized that's not the case at all.
Grassfire president Steve Elliott wrote:"We wanted to point out the absurdity of the climate alarmism of Al Gore and others who want to make us feel bad for just about everything we do and rally people for the battle over the carbon tax which is now underway in the Senate," Grassfire president Steve Elliott told WND. "We really plan to engage lots of citizens who have been under carbon-footprint guilt for far too long and give citizens an opportunity to make a statement that we reject climate alarmism. We're not going to stand for this carbon tax."
"We wanted to time Carbon Belch Day around the debate of that bill so we could rally people and have a platform to talk about this issue."
"It shows that there are many tens of thousands of citizens who don't accept climate alarmism and who are not going to sit by quietly as Congress imposes another tax on the American people," he said. "We just want to see this continue to grow as we rally people in opposition to what the climate alarmists are doing."
I think the importance of the point they're making far outweighs any temporary environmental impact (speaking of things like car and mower exhaust, which I don't think is good for our local environment in large quantities).

Liberal pansies...
Critic quoted on WND wrote:Very mature everyone. ...
Obviously never moved beyond the initial impression.
Critic continued wrote:Let's waste resources and pollute just to prove how immature and proud of our ignorance we are. Way to fit the stereotype of the dumb, arrogant, wasteful American. Fortunately, as you all get older won't have to put up with your 19th century ignorance. I just hope that you North Shore Nancies etc. don't screw up the world much more before we are rid of you.
Thanks to Al Gore this kid gets to be smarter than the previous generation, which he waits anxiously to be rid of. Who's arrogant?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Things like this would only serve to increase the need for a Carbon Tax, as it shows that there are people that are pro-pollution. Also, I feel it highlights how people also ignore the other negative effects of excessive pollution.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Carbon Belch Day

Post by Jeff250 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Thanks to Al Gore this kid gets to be smarter than the previous generation, which he waits anxiously to be rid of. Who's arrogant?
Participating in Carbon Belch Day does not give any reason for someone who does not already believe in your cause to believe in it. You're just appealing to people's emotions to try to rile them all up. That's what the day is for after all. But then you're surprised when people become emotional and are all riled up? Please explain what you're thinking here.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Jeff250 wrote:Participating in Carbon Belch Day does not give any reason for someone who does not already believe in your cause to believe in it.
As I see it it isn't at all an attempt to call anyone over to the other side of the table, just a rallying of people who don't buy this Liberally driven political agenda, and a statement made by the same.
Jeff250 wrote:You're just appealing to people's emotions to try to rile them all up.
Maybe people ought to get riled up! Rather than sitting around trying to decide if Global Warming is real or not (have had a very cold couple of seasons so far this year, around here), while the liberals move their political agenda forward on the benefit of the doubt.
Jeff250 wrote:But then you're surprised when people become emotional and are all riled up? Please explain what you're thinking here.
It doesn't surprise me a bit, but it does reveal a lack of good character, in my opinion, in the youth who have been swept up in the movement.
TIGERassault wrote:Things like this would only serve to increase the need for a Carbon Tax, as it shows that there are people that are pro-pollution.
*bzzzzzzzzzt*
TIGERassault wrote:Also, I feel it highlights how people also ignore the other negative effects of excessive pollution.
Now that very well may be true, and where it is that's too bad. In part you can blame the Liberals for hijacking the issue of the environment for their own political ends. It seems to me that some conservatives react by dismissing environmental concerns altogether. Not all of them, though, as you can see (me).
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Excess pollution is very real. In the last 30 years I have bummed all over Northern Europe, up through Russia into the Ural Mountains and Most of the U.S.
When you go to so many places you become so much aware of the nasty sh*t that's in the air. Don't get me wrong, I am no tree hugger, but every time I get near a large city I can taste the sh*t in the air and what comes out my nose just ain't right.
I already have cut back on my car usage. If I can take a bus or hoof it, then that's my first choice before jumping into the car. I should post some pictures of the Mountains here in CO, there's no snow on them except for the few that are really high up. They used to be snow covered all year round.
We are truly Fn up this planet.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

See, it's the \"we're really Fn up this planet because there's less snow on the mountains\" that I have a hard time with.

I've been to places where the air is terrible (though definitely not the worst), and I've always been opposed to pollution from the stand-point of fouling up the air, the water, and excessive habitat destruction, etc.

Does anyone know that global cooling was the issue near the middle of the last century?
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:See, it's the "we're really Fn up this planet because there's less snow on the mountains" that I have a hard time with.

I've been to places where the air is terrible (though definitely not the worst), and I've always been opposed to pollution from the stand-point of fouling up the air, the water, and excessive habitat destruction, etc.

Does anyone know that global cooling was the issue near the middle of the last century?
I heard of that, didn't that wipe out allot of people in Europe. Destroying food crops and such?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea…it would be real nice if the politicians hadn’t hijacked this issue…now nobody knows what to think.

But I will say one thing…A carbon tax is total BS!

I hope you don’t mind if I post how I feel this issue is being treated, once again…

The Left…The sky is falling, The sky is falling…
The Right…What sky, I don’t see any sky.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

My personal opinion is that the Global Warming movement could die tomorrow and we could make headway toward a better, cleaner environment. Real education, not apocalyptic, rebel-courting, ego-massaging, Liberal propaganda. If we really think about it, no one wants to destroy our environment, and the people who pursue wealth at the expense of our environment can be reined in by local government.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Is it a mis-perception on my part that the Global Warming movement is a separate entity from the traditional environmental folks?

I could be wrong, because historically I haven't followed it very much, but I get the distinct impression that Global Warming is taking an entirely different route from everything that came before it (emission restrictions, pollution laws, etc).

Am I mistaken?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You’re prolly used to groups like Greenpeace or PETA, Those groups never had what the new groups have…a way to pick your pocket.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Carbon taxes do nothing but screw the Economy more and hurt the Consumer in the end. Taking away dollars from real investment into clean energy sources.

Just what today's economy really needs more Politicians squawking about crap they don't know about and Taxes. We surely are screwing up our environment and could do so much more with our tax dollars. What do we do? Waste it on War and and more investment into the Oil machine. We are truly stupid monkeys.

Here are some straight facts as to CO2 emissions;
BUGS
Mo' Bugs
So it looks like insects are the real culprits here.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

\"The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy people who are not in them.\" -- attributed to Dave Barry

I don't think that all protests are always a bad idea. But compare your protest to the one done by your opponents recently, where they shut off all lights/electronics/etc. between 8 and 9 pm on a Friday in March:

Theirs: Good for environment
Yours: Bad for environment
Theirs: Show of personal sacrifice
Yours: Show of personal indulgence
Theirs: Not offensive per se (you may think the global warming issue is a sham, but you don't think there is anything inherently wrong with someone turning their lights off)
Yours: Intended to be offensive per se (to people who think that global warming is a serious issue, they are taken back by your actions in themselves)

I have a general skepticism about these sorts of protests, and I didn't participate in either, since they tend to just rile people up and polarize people, without revealing anything insightful about the issue. But some protests are more harmful than others. Yours comes across as one of the more immature ones.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, this particular protest is a little silly, but the notion of protesting against yet another tax that will invariably end up in the general fund, paying for more frivolous crap, is not.

And of course the show I just watched “Journey to 10,000 BC” had to end with a lecture on Global Warming. :roll:
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

There's no way anyone can ever truly do any permanent damage to this planet. Seriously, the worst we could possibly do is drive a few species to extinction. The ozone layer is capable of regenerating, pollution is naturally cleansed by who knows how many creatures, the entire planet is in a constant state of temperature flux, and if we all died or disappeared today, the earth would be as good as new in several hundred years, all on its own. The bottom line is, if people want to make a difference, they need to quit PROTESTING and start DOING. Me? I don't give a Shield Orb.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

MD-1118 wrote:There's no way anyone can ever truly do any permanent damage to this planet. Seriously, the worst we could possibly do is drive a few species to extinction.
refresh your memory of that part of history when the atomic fission was invented and what mankind used it for. or rainforest being cut down. the saw needs a few minutes, whilst the tree grows in centuries.
also, the term "damage" is not clarified in your statement. i'm sure you mean damage in a stellar scale. however, it can be damaged from the view of life on earth. if it's damaged faster that it regenerates ... - you guess it.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MD-1118 »

Floyd wrote:refresh your memory of that part of history when the atomic fission was invented and what mankind used it for. or rainforest being cut down. the saw needs a few minutes, whilst the tree grows in centuries.
also, the term "damage" is not clarified in your statement. i'm sure you mean damage in a stellar scale. however, it can be damaged from the view of life on earth. if it's damaged faster that it regenerates ... - you guess it.
MD-1118 wrote:Seriously, the worst we could possibly do is drive a few species to extinction
That goes for flora as well as fauna... and yes, "few" in this case is relative to the total number of species on the planet, which is still unknown.

Think about it for just a few seconds... the human race is highly self-destructive. If it does manage to survive more than a few centuries longer, it will only be because it has learned from its mistakes, and if that is the case then nuclear pollution and deforestation will be a thing of the past. If not, we'll all be gone anyways and it won't matter.

As you said, the term "damage" was not clarified in my statement. While I did not mean it in a stellar sense, I did mean it in the long-term, overall permanent sense. Trees WILL grow back, and in less than centuries. Oil WILL run out, and then there will be no more saws to cut said trees. Energy IS limited, in the sense that very few are doing anything proactive about energy conservation or new sources. No one's going to be tossing around nukes like footballs, and even if they did it would have far less of an impact than most people think. My overall point was, people need to stop talking and start doing if they want something to get done... and, as I said before, I really don't care.