What is WRONG with the moviegoing public?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

What is WRONG with the moviegoing public?

Post by Asrale »

I don't know about the rest of you, but some of my most recent trips to the local multiplexes have been...interesting. Let's go in reverse chronological order:

1) Today I went to Hellboy. Not really a fan of the comic books, but I had nothing else to do tonight...anyway, a few seats over a woman had this toddler son, who kept making these annoying whimpering sounds and almost cried multiple times. What, she can't get someone else to watch her son for a few hours?! Little kids do NOT belong in PG-13 & above movies...they can't sit still or be quiet! Where's the common courtesy from other people? (btw, I thought the movie sucked)

2) Two weeks ago I saw Dawn of the Dead with a friend who dragged me to it. Normally I do NOT watch horror movies (not because they scare me or anything because they don't, just out of personal beliefs) but I fully knew what to expect (having seen 28 Days Later, they're somewhat similar according to Internet reviews). When the movie was over and we were exiting, I saw a boy who couldn't be over 10 years old! Do you know what's in that movie? Gratuitous gore and violence, tons of blood, completely pointless breast shots, a graphic sex scene, and tons of profanity. The kind of thing that overhormonal male teenagers would like actually (I guess) and there were lots of them in the theater too, who were incredibly annoying, cheering at every explosion, death scene, gun shot, blood spill, etc. Ok what kind of parent would let a 10-year-old watch that insanity first of all, and aren't minors supposed to be ID'ed for R movies?! (the movie was pretty cool actually)

3) Passion of the Christ. In my theater there were obviously a number of non-Christians who KEPT TALKING!!! Like, who is that, is that Peter? Etc. And probably even some non-perceptive Christians I'm sure, like one guy who wondered aloud "Was that Nicodemus?" DUH!

4) Return of the King. I guess there were lots of fans when I went there the first Sunday after it opened. I mean there were like cheers at every heroic turn, ewws at every gross/icky turn, and thunderous applause at things like "I am no man!" Ok people, I know you're all just as enthusiastic as I am, but I'm trying to watch the thing here!

So tell me what is with people these days and if you think DVDs should come out a LOT sooner so they can be enjoyed in private without all these things going on...
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Heh! thats nothing! I was dragged by my kids to see Spy Kids 3. Not the most intellectual of flicks; that coupled with the fact i was alone with about a thousand mannerless Israeli kids did my bleeding head in.

I needed extraordinary amounts of Guinness to recover my composure afterwards as you all could well imagine.

FC
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The funniest part is that people bother to clap at the end of a movie. There isn't anyone up there on stage to clap for- save your energy, the price you payed was applause enough for the actors in the movie. (I.E. people trying to interact with the movie, when the movie doesn't interact.)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

And theres the damn obsession with cell phones! TURN OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE WHEN YOU GO TO SEE A MOVIE! If its that damn important that you HAVE to have it on, then you shouldn't be in a movie theater in the first place. :roll:
Shoku
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shoku »

I haven't been to a theater in almost 5 years. When I watch a movie I want to focus on just that, not the whispering behind me, or the popcorn munching, or the stupid remarks, or the crying babies, etc.

All this anoying stuff happens because of the lack of manners - people are too self-centered today; they don't consider the affect they can have on their neighbors - or they just don't care.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: What is WRONG with the moviegoing public?

Post by Tetrad »

Asrale wrote:Little kids do NOT belong in PG-13 & above movies...they can't sit still or be quiet! Where's the common courtesy from other people? (btw, I thought the movie sucked)
At least one of the local movie theatres has enabled a policy of no toddlers in R rated movies after 7:00 or so. It's a start, at least.

It seems either people don't care that they're being obnoxious, or they don't realize it until people tell them (queue giant "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE" ads at the beginning of the movie).
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

They dont block the cell phone signal in the US? In Israel's cinema's you can't get a signal, theatre included.

FC
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I love the ejector-seat "turn off your damn phone" ad at the start of the movies at some theaters.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Fat lazy inconsiderate people who think that they're the only ones that matter :P
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

pays to go a couple 3 weeks or more after a movie has come out. All the really obnoxious people have come and gone and you just get a few of the stragglers.

Your complaints are nothing new though. This has been a constant problem for a VERY long time and will only get worse as there are more people.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Flabby Chick wrote:They dont block the cell phone signal in the US? In Israel's cinema's you can't get a signal, theatre included.

FC
No they don't Flabby. At least not at any theater I have been to. I wish they did. The one that kills me is the mother with her 3 year old kid in the R rated movie.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

FC, is that out of a desire for a disruption-free viewing or because terrorists frequently use cellphones to detonate bombs? I can't think of a more *target-rich* area than a movie theater and I would imagine Hamas, et al, would find such a venue very tempting.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Went to see the opening of Return of the King, at midnight. There was a woman in the theater with an infant.

Fortunately the kid was relatively quiet, but still whimpered and squirmed now and then.

Not only was it irritating, but IMO, that was borderline child neglect. A baby that young, at that time of night, should be in its crib.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Shoku wrote:I haven't been to a theater in almost 5 years. When I watch a movie I want to focus on just that, not the whispering behind me, or the popcorn munching, or the stupid remarks, or the crying babies, etc.
True Shoku, like you I prefer renting or buying DVDs to watch at home, but the 36" TV in the TV room doesn't even begin to compare to the huge 16x9 screen at your nearest multiplex, for quality event movies. :P (not to mention, the theater itself is probably engineered for optimal deflection on the 5.1 channels of sound)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

bash wrote:FC, is that out of a desire for a disruption-free viewing
Yep thats the reason. Israelis are cell-phone mad, every one has them.
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

you could always get "instant-cassetes" like in Spaceballs....
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I say go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Flabby Chick wrote:
bash wrote:FC, is that out of a desire for a disruption-free viewing
Yep thats the reason. Israelis are cell-phone mad, every one has them.
Not just Israelis. Most of the industrialized world.

I swear, the next generation is going to have tiny little receivers grafted cybernetically into their ears.

Shut up and drive, moron! :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you can't have/use mobile phone jammers because they are "jamming equip" and therefore illegal (here in OZ).
if ppl couldn't message eachother in movies i wonder if they would loose business (ppl are constantly text messaging eachother during movies).

when i watched Jackass at the movies, it was seriously a cool experience coz everyone was so noisy, constantly laughing / screaming, etc. hooliganism was right at home there :)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Kyouryuu wrote:Shut up and drive, moron! :D
Amen brother. I have really tempted to make a sign to show folks on thier cell phones while behind the wheel. It would read: I bet you could drive better with phone up your ass.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Flabby Chick wrote:They dont block the cell phone signal in the US? In Israel's cinema's you can't get a signal, theatre included.

FC
They're not blocked here because its illegal. In the event of something happening...like the building collapsing, they "wouldn't be able to call 911". :roll: Its not like there aren't any phones in the building....
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

It's also illegal to drive with cell-phone. You get a really heavy fine if your caught.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

same
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I go the Wednesday before they take it out of the theatre. I haven't sat in a crowd at the theatre for 7-8 years. Whenever I go, there's maybe a dozen people besides myself, and we're well spaced apart and we can all talk without bothering each other.

I think theatres should have 900mhz transmitters so you could tune in with some cordless headphones.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

last movie i saw was Reloaded and some one was on the phone during most of the movie untill i got piss and pop there batt out and toss it to the other side of the theater.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Testi, that would be awesome except that would involve one of two things:

1) People bring their own headphones. Many theaters already do this for the "hearing impaired". But people might feel upset that they dont have the right to a free pair of headphones. :rolleyes:

2) Lend headphones out. Bad idea, because not only is it expensive (higher concession prices/ticket prices) but also some of them are bound to be stolen, and it's yet another vector for disease.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Of course, you bring your own headphones. If some people are upset that they don't have a pair, they're too stupid and pathetic to be worrying about. Rolleyes is right! The sooner people are no longer coddled, the sooner these types of morons will kill themselves off,(I can dream, can't I?) and the rest of us can enjoy the extra space these wastes of life won't occupy. :)

I was unaware that such a service was available for the somewhat deaf. I'll have to bug the theatre I visit to see if they offer it. I have a snazzy pair of cordless headphones.

LOL Warlock!
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

Lothar wrote:I love the ejector-seat "turn off your damn phone" ad at the start of the movies at some theaters.
They have this pretty cool one over here that looks to be a preview. There's these guys in a submarine talking about being quiet because there's a ship overhead, and suddenly a phone rings, and they are like "it's coming from the audience!!" It's pretty funny.. (at least the first time)
anyway
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I think it should be illegal here in the states to drive while on the phone. Its ridiculous, these MTV clones are too stupid to chew gum and walk at the same time, let alone operate a high speed moving vehicle and converse on their teeny tiny little cell phone. I wish they'd do this, maybe my car insurance rates would go down.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Warlock wrote:last movie i saw was Reloaded and some one was on the phone during most of the movie untill i got piss and pop there batt out and toss it to the other side of the theater.
I'm still waiting for them to start incorperating faraday cages to theaters so even if you bring a phone it, they won't work because you won't get any signal. :) Until then, theres always the hope that they'll make you either check your phone at the door or outright not allow anyone in until you ditch the phone.
UZI
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by UZI »

My son was 4 when I took him to Phantom Menace. I regularly take him (and the kids) to PG-13 movies, though we are careful to avoid ones with huge amounts of sexual imagery (though I'm sure the boy could handle it, he's 9 now).

My daughter was likely the youngest person in the theater for the Two Towers (age 4), the Hulk (age 4.5), and the Return of the King (age 5). She must have watched Spider-Man (on DVD) a dozen times, when she was still 4.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Well, I like going when there's lots of people. Especially opening night, when everyone's excited about the movie. Makes it more fun with all the cheering and what not.

Cell phones, on the other hand, should be banned. Last time I saw Return of the King, some foolio had his color screen cell phone on with a backlight that was bright enough to give me a tan. He had it open through about half of the movie. He's lucky I'm a peaceful guy, because I'm also a very LARGE guy. :P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

UZI wrote:though we are careful to avoid ones with huge amounts of sexual imagery (though I'm sure the boy could handle it, he's 9 now).
Hey lan-buddy. :) May I wander off the trail a little? If you avoid movies with sexual scenes, do you also avoid movies with violent scenes? If not, why not? I would think that if I had a child, I would rather s/he watch movies with sex in them instead of violence. What say you?

Jagger: You should have peacefully taken his phone, closed it (optionally squeeze it into a liquid) and give it back to him. For added effect, don't say a word, just smile.
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

There aren't any laws against allowing minors to see rated R movies though. The rating systems are suggestions and it's up to the theatre if they want to card or not, nothing requires them to.