D2X-XL host bot IRC channel

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D2X-XL host bot IRC channel

Post by Motig »

Hey, there, everyone. I recently got back in D2 with D2X-XL; and have consequently created a multiplayer game list bot that anyone can use in #descent2 on Quakenet. :)

(Edit: It's actually now @ Gamesurge: irc.gamesurge.net)

A brief explanation:

You join the channel, then can !add your IP to the bot, or !list all the current games. This means that anyone can come and see the currently active games, and connect directly via IP address. :}

The 'bot' is very easy to use, come check it out in #descent2.

Any comments, thoughts or criticisms welcome.

...And hi. :P I know I'm a new face here, so sorry for the strange first post.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Oil and Water doesn't mix man

Descent channel on QUAKENET!

Come to Kali or Gamesurge quick before you get absorbed into the FPS collective

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Duly noted. Quakenet sucks, I agree.

So update: #descent2 on irc.gamesurge.net!
No longer on Qnet. :}

We're already having some fun in the channel. Got an anarchy game going now. :P
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Update: The !list command in the channel now relays all IPs in the D2X tracker, too. :}
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Wow.... I would suggest you go back to quakenet

Descent, Descent2, Descent3, Descent3rookie are community channles on gamesurge not pick and choose private ones

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Let me set the record straight: He came on #descent2 last night and instantly started flaming about D2X-XL. Anyway, one thing led to another and he got banned. After that, Bubba complained to the GameSurge admins that #descent2 was an illegal channel, or something, and that it's a community channel and that I shouldn't be able to ban him (although he only came in to troll).
The admins came in, assesed what had happened, and nothing else has come of it since. He actually claimed we stole his channel, somehow, despite GameSurge being rediculously strict with ChanServ. :)

Anyway, that all behind us, the channel's still up, and we're working through all the bugs in D2 multiplayer, so hopefully, despite some minor setbacks, we'll be able to play D2 online with D2X-XL very soon! ^^ \\o/

All others are still welcome. :}
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...not really surprised, I have to say.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

I should also add, as admittedly I didn't make it clear, that the channel is for any Descent2 client; though we're actively /promoting/ XL in there. :}

So anyone, including Rebirth users, are welcome to come and !add to the list, and join in. :]
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Eh, the \"Bubbalou vs. Diedel/D2X-XL\" drama has a long and sordid history. Nothing new there.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

actually

[17:21:14] (@Motig) Who else?
[17:21:22] (@Motig) BUBBALOU? RetZ_?
[17:21:30] (karx11erx) Motig, mind kicking Bubbalou? That guy's one of the worst a'holes this side of the moon
[17:21:43] (karx11erx) he's lucky he doesn't live near me
[17:21:47] Join» (Wheeze87) (~Alex@213-78-28-15.ppp.onetel.net.uk)
[17:21:57] (karx11erx) or at least silence him
[17:22:17] (karx11erx) what level?
[17:22:17] (BUBBALOU) don't bring your personal issues to gamesurge

(the rest is about this board after they silenced me -v)

10[17:34:57] ¹¹ºº Kick» (BUBBALOU) was kicked by (Motig) (You don't even play the game =//)

I don't play??? descent,d1x, descent2,d2x or descent3 ?? well that's News to me.

Everything was friendly until he (karx11erx) showed up. Everyone else in the channel was fine , brought them over the descent3 channel also... which they had no clue even existed.

Basically Diedle(karx11erx) did not like the fact Motig invited me into a game with Diedle to get his mouselook pwned

BTW the useless clueless gamesurge botz/admins when THEY looked at their records on who regged the channle, think www.descent2.de is actually interplay. Now technically descent2.de is a mod site and are not allowed to reg game channles for the standard game names (modnames yes) so i referred it over to the gamesurge community leader for descent

So the IOW the channel is technically D2X-XL only for the time being..... The Communtiy rep should take over the channle and keep it free to the entire community

the irc flag script can be used for any descent ip game grab it here

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Indeed it can. The bot administrator has stated as much.

Also, last I checked descent2.de did not register that channel, and there is zero chance of Interplay themselves ever doing it. So if anyone's going to do it, a single individual will have to.
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

[17:21:43] (karx11erx) he's lucky he doesn't live near me

Gee whiz, wouldja look at that, another keyboard gangster threat from Deidel.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

* Joins: BUBBALOU (~bubbalou@Merovingian.user.gamesurge)
<BUBBALOU> i see d2x-xl has gone way past complicated to install nad run
<BUBBALOU> visual c++ required
<BUBBALOU> lmao
Bubbalou is just taking parts of the conversation and making them seem how he wants to. Fact of the matter is, he joined and instantly started an argument. Also, if he'd paid attention, when you join you get this message from Chanserv:

-ChanServ- (#descent2) Welcome to #descent2. Although we actively promote D2X-XL, you are welcome to start and join in games with any D2 client, including Rebirth! :} The latest XL version is always in the topic.

The reason I kicked you with the 'you don't even play the game' message was because you were flaming d2x-xl, not because you don't play d2. But you've taken that line out of context, and made it seem worse, again.

Also, I find it ironic you complain about the channel, then say this:

\"the irc flag script can be used for any descent ip game grab it here\"

Look at that URL, Bubba- I /made/ that script, just as I /made/ the D2XBot that runs the management of mp games in the channel. So how can you claim I'm restricting it to d2x only, then give a link to /my/ script that lets anyone use it?

I want it known that Bubba's just stirring up trouble here, which is why I posted first. There was no #descent2 channel before I came along, so I haven't 'stolen' it. There was no one in #descent2, it wasn't registered. And now it has a mp game bot, and the bot even checks the XL tracker automatically, so you tell me if I've done the Descent community a misdeed. =/
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Might stop by sometime.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Motig, Bubbalou and Diedel/karx11erx have been at each other's throats for a long time. Neither one seems content to drop their war with each other, and both think they're completely blameless.

Don't worry about trying to explain yourself, or making it known which one of them is stirring up trouble. Just kick or ban whoever happens to be making trouble at the moment, and know that they'll go whine in some other channel or some other board about how unfair you are.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Thanks, that seems to have hit the nail on the head. :}

So idd- #descent2 for all D2 mp games.
nitro

Post by nitro »

Bubbalou is after me and D2X-XL for a long time, and when I asked him why I didn't get a response. If he wasn't constantly trying to give me a hard time whereever he can and harm D2X-XL any way possible (see his last action when he got the D2X-XL section deleted from the Wikipedia Descent entry), there would be no war with him.

So stop twisting the truth, Lothar.

Btw, regarding my ban: If people call me Hitler and what not, they get their hand slapped a little. If I defend myself, it qualifies as \"participating in the flaming\" and justifies my ban from here.

It is amazing how you can hide your lack of honesty from yourself.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Please close this thread before it gets more out of hand as it has before. :roll:
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

No, please don't! I want this channel to prosper! If you have to, delete all the posts; but a much more adult/mature way would be if I, Bubba, and Nitro all agree now to just leave this here. I won't mention the whole episode again, and if no one else does, that's cool. All I wanted is for a D2 channel; so please don't close this thread!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Also, re-registering after a ban, no matter how justified or not it may be, isn't really a good idea. Just FWIW.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Diedel, you have your own forum where you can say whatever you want. But since you've consistently failed to abide by our rules, you're not welcome here. After years of little hand-slaps, we've decided to ban you. Stop trying to go around it.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

On that day I had some hankering for some descent fire up IRC

Perform
/join descent
/join descent2
/join descent3
/join descent3rookie

[11:22:16] Joined» (#descent2)
[11:22:16]------------------------------------------- ----- --- -- -- -- - -
[11:22:16] Topic» (Channel dedicated to Descent 2 multiplayer gaming! ---- D2X-XL v1.13.33: http://www.descent2.de/downloads/d2x-xl-w32-1.13.33.rar ---
For mIRC users: http://motig.clanservers.com/d2script.zip <-- !add and !delete script for this channel (with a dialog))
[11:22:16] Set by» (Motig-AFK) on (Friday, July 4th 2008, 21:22:133

11:22:40] (BUBBALOU) sup descenterites
[11:22:50] (Vertigo) good morning
[11:22:52] (BUBBALOU) Motig
[11:22:57] (BUBBALOU) see you took my advice
[11:53:39] (@Motig) -Back-
[11:53:40] (@Motig) :}
[11:53:50] (@Motig) Yup, I did take your advice, Bubba.

Instantly huh...... allrighty then

Clean D2 install
copy d2 folder over
drop in mod
move 36 files here there and everywhere
.dll crash
update textures
.dll crash
disabled every switch that might relate
.dll crash
download models
.dll crash
switch sound types
.dll crash
find lone thread about new 44k sounds not even stickied
download 44k sounds from some hidden site
FINALLY IT LOADS
select my pilot - hmm everything is blank, configure - bang crash - delete pilot from folder
LOAD AGAIN
create NEW pilot - has defaults - ok
level loads :)
clean out empty folders from all these files i had to download
setup official pilot
turn on advanced option, so i can turn OFF all the extras and make it look normal. Yes sounds weird but that's what you have to do it - what happened to the -Legacy switch???
reboot

come into chat - ready to play

[17:16:36] Joined» (#descent2)

state my recent experience

[17:17:26] (BUBBALOU) i see d2x-xl has gone way past complicated to install nad run
[17:17:37] (BUBBALOU) visual c++ required
[17:17:40] (BUBBALOU) lmaoo

Not knowing I had a fanclub in the room!!!!1!1!! Somebody under and alias has a HOLYCOW - OMG the purity has been questioned

my retort

[17:25:25] (+BUBBALOU) stating the obvious after a recent install
[17:25:30] (+BUBBALOU) what's wrong with that

what did that get me
[17:26:20] Mode» (Motig) sets (-v BUBBALOU)

It's a pity

Now when I was canvasing the support forums for an answer..... there wasn't. I was shocked by the reception on the XL support forums to new people who had inquiries to get the game running from a long siesta from descent. I had a flashback... everyone is an idiot - except diedle - question the purity an ye shall be banned...

Oh Lords of D2X-XL - A simple updated setup guide that has all the requirements instead of the RELIC of a guide at the forums now. And how about this also include an d2x.ini file that has all the fancy features turned off. Currently the d2x.ini has almost every bell and whistle ON. Unfortunately if you do not have the correct files installed those features are looking for it will crash.

well enough of that summation

- Now Reminder this was a non-game-mod channel I had fun watching his rant unfold about this this board....and he was the innocent angel here

[17:34:57] Kick» (BUBBALOU) was kicked by (Motig) (You don't even play the game =/)
Session Close: Sun Jul 06 17:34:57 2008

So Instantly = 8 hours and 12 minutes, yes BS .... it's always fun.

Too bad he never did grasp the concept of sarcasm and humor in open threads when he was at these boards. Even when people helped him with all the bugs he took it as an attack if it was in open forums

Now for me that was up until d2x-xl-w32-1.8.33. I personally gave up on trying to work around his poor attitude when i informed him of new bugs through p/m's
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Foil wrote:Eh, the "Bubbalou vs. Diedel/D2X-XL" drama has a long and sordid history. Nothing new there.
Yeap, same ol' stuff.
/me gets out a bag of popcorn and passes some to Foil
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Ah, ★■◆● off Bubba, you're just taking parts of the chatlog and making it seem we kicked you for that. I cba to go back to it and paste all the bits you missed, but tbh I kicked you for flaming and accusing me of stealing a channel and constantly harassing me via PM; as you really know. I devoiced you because of your unreleting bs;

* Motig sets mode: +v BUBBALOU
<karx11erx> now what does +v do?
<Motig> Lets you talk.
<BUBBALOU> this channle here is my idea
<Motig> Lol!?
<BUBBALOU> so get off it bro
<Motig> No it's not!?
<Motig> It's mine.

So, as you can see, he came in and after being told to stop going on about XL he decided, somehow, that the channel was his idea, and that I should give it to him (guessing so he could ban Diedel for his own reasons).

After I devoiced him (which I did as opposed to a ban, so that at least he could see games anyway- I just wanted to be fair, ironically *sigh*), he started berating me via PM with pretty much the same stuff, so I banned him. THEN, he moved onto #descent3, where this happened:

<BUBBALOU> # Game/mod named channels may be registered to the account GameSurge with the person requesting registration being given co-ownership in a 'community channel' format if you have no links with the development team. You agree that the development team of such a game or mod can request ownership from you at any time by registering this.
<BUBBALOU> # Game/mod named channels may be registered to the account GameSurge with the person requesting registration being given co-ownership in a 'community channel' format if you have no links with the development team. You agree that the development team of such a game or mod can request ownership from you at any time by registering this.

Thanks, Bubba. I'm amazed this guy's so revered by you all! Basically, he came in, and just caused as much disruption as possible, including getting /two/ gamesurge admins to come into the channel, which I then had to explain fully what the channel was about. I'd never heard of or spoken to either him or Diedel before; I met both of them at the same time, and you can see I had no bias by looking at my second post here, I listened to his advice just fine. :} I made my own judgement after he joined the IRC channel, nothing to do with Diedel or D2X-XL, that Bubba is a dick, and I don't want him in the channel or anywhere around me. I'm not part of some fanclub; I've said now 100000 times that Rebirth players are more than welcome, and we have some on the channel. I actually met Bubba before I met Diedel, so I haven't been told any lies by anyone. It's /you/ I don't like Bubba, get over it.

...Ugh. Jeez, I only came here to advertise a channel, and already someone's wrecked it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

*ENORMOUS EARTHQUAKE BACK TO ON TOPIC*

Thanks for hosting this channel, and creating the genius !add !highlight and !list scripts Motig. I hope that this channel benefits the D1 and D2 multiplayer community, as a free, friendly alternative to KALI

Good stuff!
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Thank you! It'd be awesome if a moderator could delete all the posts between these last two and the first few. :}
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

d3jake wrote:
Foil wrote:Eh, the "Bubbalou vs. Diedel/D2X-XL" drama has a long and sordid history. Nothing new there.
Yeap, same ol' stuff.
/me gets out a bag of popcorn and passes some to Foil
/me munches on a few bits, watching both of the combatants try desperately to get that last shot in before the wrath of the mods is incurred...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Motig wrote:Thank you! It'd be awesome if a moderator could delete all the posts between these last two and the first few. :}
A locked "Sticky" about the channel would work, too.
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

Sure, as long as the channel 'advert' isn't removed without a trace. :} If you make a sticky, please just mention the channel name and server, and what it does (i.e. !add, !list [with the tracker], and !highlight etc.). Thanks. :}
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Motig Posted Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:29 pm wrote:Hey, there, everyone. I recently got back in D2 and have consequently created a multiplayer game list bot that anyone can use in #descent2 on Quakenet. :)

A brief explanation:

You join the channel, then can !add your IP to the bot, or !list all the current games. This means that anyone can come and see the currently active games, and connect directly via IP address. :}

The 'bot' is very easy to use, come check it out in #descent2.

Any comments, thoughts or criticisms welcome.

...And hi. :P I know I'm a new face here, so sorry for the strange first post.
BUBBALOU Posted Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:50 pm wrote:Oil and Water doesn't mix man

Descent channel on QUAKENET!

~~~> Come to Kali or Gamesurge quick before you get absorbed into the FPS collective
Motig Posted Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:49 pm wrote:Duly noted. Quakenet sucks, I agree.

So update: #descent2 on irc.gamesurge.net!
No longer on Qnet. :}

We're already having some fun in the channel. Got an anarchy game going now. :P
BUBBALOU Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 pm wrote:Wow.... I would suggest you go back to quakenet

Descent, Descent2, Descent3, Descent3rookie are community channles on gamesurge not pick and choose private ones
criticism welcome, I guess not?

I Think that sums it up in a nutshell. at no time did I discuss any details. That information my friend you alone chose to share on your own... and should not be deleted - it was only clarified in responses. I love this though - "Instantly = greater than 8 hours".

I really hope you have some sense of humor
Motig
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Motig »

...So yeah, please close this and make a locked sticky.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Post whatever you'd like for the sticky, and I'll sticky it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

man oh man.. just when I think people can behave themselves.

Motig, I admire the efforts you put forth into making a descent channel but your stupid little flamewar with bubba is just plain retarded. I'll be keeping an eye on you.