Descent 3 multiplayer - how?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 multiplayer - how?

Post by Alley7 »

Hello.

How can I play Descent 3 online? I have version 1.4. It would be nice to play against real people, but I don't know how to set D3 for online playing? Also, I don't have experience in real combat... It's really no fun to get killed all the time.

Where I can start from?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

There are a number of ways. but, the better question is why don't we have that info in a sticky??!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Uh... Always read the sticky.. Install Vortex and chat w/ the guys hanging out in irc. They will get you started.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:roll:

Dude, I swear I looked the sticky list over 3 times and didn't see that. I had thought that info was there.

*sigh*

Thanks Gren.
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Alley7 »

Grendel wrote:Uh... Always read the sticky.. Install Vortex and chat w/ the guys hanging out in irc. They will get you started.
Sorry, but I don't understand anything in that sticky... How that Vortex works? I don't have time for chat / IRC, I just want to play...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I don't care much for IRC/chat, either.

A quick way to join games is the CX Tracker.
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Alley7 »

Foil wrote:CX Tracker.
Do I need some special tools or maps for that?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Nope, not at all. If you're missing a level, most of them can be found over at PlanetDescent.

When you want to join a game (there may not be much going on right now during the middle of the day, but be patient, and don't be afraid to start a game), just click on the far right link (the server's IP), you're good to go from there.

Oh, and if you want, you can always type the IP in manually in the D3 Multiplayer -> Join-TCP/IP menu.

[P.S. Don't be discouraged if you get clobbered at first... everyone does. :wink: ]
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Welcome! This sport ain't easy. Don't give up . Ice when it starts to hurt.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Dravis wrote:Sorry, but I don't understand anything in that sticky... How that Vortex works? I don't have time for chat / IRC, I just want to play...
You will never know if you don't try it.. :roll: irc chat is integrated into Vortex, much easier to ask a life crowd than a bb or distract ppl in-game. Vortex will also allow you to join games via point & click, download levels for you etc. If you use the cx tracker, I'm sure Foil will be happy to answer all your questions :P
ImageImage
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Nah, I will forget multiplayer. When I choose multiplayer menu in game and select direct tcp/ip (or something like that) my computer stops responding and everything is freezed except my mouse cursor... I use windows 98 SE... It looks that only option for me is single player. :evil:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Dravis wrote:When I choose multiplayer menu in game and select direct tcp/ip (or something like that) my computer stops responding and everything is freezed except my mouse cursor... I use windows 98 SE...
That's strange. Descent3 works fine on my Win98SE box.

Check the Task Manager, make sure there aren't any other instances of main.exe running.

Do you have any odd/different network settings you're using?
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

I think everything is set correctly... I'll give up, this is too tough for my nerves.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

If setting up a TCP game is to tough, then the game itself will kill you, drop you with massive heart failure. :twisted:
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Alley7 »

Cuda68 wrote:If setting up a TCP game is to tough, then the game itself will kill you, drop you with massive heart failure. :twisted:
If you can't help me to solve this problem about game freezing, then keep your comments to yourself. Please. :wink:
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by QuestionableChaos »

Dravis wrote:
Cuda68 wrote:If setting up a TCP game is to tough, then the game itself will kill you, drop you with massive heart failure. :twisted:
If you can't help me to solve this problem about game freezing, then keep your comments to yourself. Please. :wink:
haha :P

well, it can be confusing at first, but in my opinion .cx tracker is the easiest.

http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3

simply find the game you want to join, click its IP address on the right (under LAUNCH), and then once the page loads, click on "Launch via EXE" (this is what i do)

If this doesnt work, let me know. Having a strong firewall or other IPblocker (i use PeerGuardian) can sometimes block out a TCP connection
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Dravis don't give up so easily. It's very simple to figure out how to join games. Get Vortex. You don't have to chat, but it's an option. It will also show you a list of all games and let you download missions automatically if you don't have them. All you do is double click on a game, click join game, select a pilot, press enter, and you're automatically put through to the game. Simple as pie. Don't ask if yoy're not open to trying out the answers.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Alley7 »

QuestionableChaos wrote:well, it can be confusing at first, but in my opinion .cx tracker is the easiest.

http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3

simply find the game you want to join, click its IP address on the right (under LAUNCH), and then once the page loads, click on "Launch via EXE" (this is what i do)
I'll try that, but I prefer batch file instead of exe... I can edit IP adress in batch file then, so it won't be necessary to download new file each time.

And what about ping? How I can find out which games have good ping?
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by QuestionableChaos »

well, with the .cx tracker the only way to find out is by joining the game

As long as you have decent internet, you shouldnt really have much of a ping issue (I live in CA and have played on german servers with acceptable ping)

Using vortex will provide with the ping though, as its displayed in the game descriptions
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Beore I try cx tracker, I'll like to know list of default multiplayer maps that are included with Descent 3 & Mercenary... Where I can find that?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The easiest way to see which maps you have is to look in your \\Descent3\\missions folder. Each of the .mn3 files is a level (or level set).

Let us know if you have any more trouble.
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Ha! Super! I managed to fix that problem with game crash. It was something about my firewall... Now everything works fine. I even don't need to download that batch / exe files from CX tracker, typing the right IP adress is enough. 8) I also downloaded some common levels from PlanetDescent...

However, the game is very difficult. Everything is too fast, it's impossible to shoot down other players and I'm just easy target. :( I hate those stupid flame weapons beacuse it's impossible to extinguish fire. :x
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Don't give up. Consider the fact that you are only lacking experience. There are some very, very good players out there, and the many of the rest have been playing multiplayer for a long time.

I got killed over and over at first, too... but with some experience I can hold my own with some of the better players now.

Just keep playing, you'll start to notice things that players are doing, and you'll begin learning quickly.

Oh, and you may also want to browse some of the piloting tips over at PlanetDescent.

Good luck, hope I see you in 'da mines! :)
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Hmm, I prefer \"fire and forget\" tactics. I'm just flying around a level and looking for opportunity to surprise an opponent. I played for about one hour and my result was 59 kills and 118 deaths (there was mostly 5-6 players). :P :mrgreen: :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

59 & 118 isn't bad for just starting multiplayer... :D

I think I was something like 15 & 48 my very first game online. :lol:
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Hey people, I got another question! :mrgreen: How to change my nickname in multiplayer games? It's the same as my pilot name... I don't see any option for renaming players / pilots. :? :?:
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

It's always your pilot name. You can't change that on the fly. You can simply create a new pilot and copy the controller settings over.
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Oh man, that sucks... :( Okay, how to copy all controls, weapons autoselect and other preferences?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

When you create a new pilot, and you go to select the controller, select the pilot name you want to copy.
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Everything is finally set for multiplayer, but there are no other players... :? Every server has 0 players. Is CX Tracker broken or what?
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

No, it's not broken. The time of day is key. Usually people are on in the morning's and evenings EST. Otherwise, you can just join a game and wait around for a bit and someone will likely join.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yes, the best time for playing on US servers is in the evening (Eastern US time), similar for the German servers.

As Ryu said, there are often players waiting for a game to start, so don't be afraid to jump in one and wait for people to join.