Google Crome

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Google Crome

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

No adblockplus, no game.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:No adblockplus, no game.
Agreed.

Now ... did I miss something, or is Google Chrome without any ability for plugins or addons?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

it is open source software, give it a bit.

it is very much faster on this old P3.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It wouldn't be Google if they weren't \"spying\" on you from behind the scenes! :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Just wait for it....

Google O/S

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Gah, I guess I'll have to wait for the Linux version.

Some useful information though from Wikipedia:
* Uses WebKit (Safari's) rendering engine
* Uses its own JavaScript engine called \"V8\"
* Multi-threaded (so hopefully entire browser won't freeze if one task blocks...)

Whatever gets more people off of using Internet Explorer makes my life easier.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

Jeff250 wrote:Gah, I guess I'll have to wait for the Linux version.

Some useful information though from Wikipedia:
* Uses WebKit (Safari's) rendering engine
* Uses its own JavaScript engine called "V8"
* Multi-threaded (so hopefully entire browser won't freeze if one task blocks...)

Whatever gets more people off of using Internet Explorer makes my life easier.
Not only multithreaded. It's multi-process. Every tab and every instance of a plugin gets its own process.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Splitting the various processes is hardly something to brag about as a feature, most applications behave like that by default.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

No, they don't. Most applications are single-process.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Open 5 windows of notepad and look in task manager.

You can also make windows explorer behave like this.

Many applications even have options to allow multiple instances or not, firefox and IE could probably easily be made to function in the same manner. It really isn't anything special.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Plus, that feature of Chrome is buggy. Reports of lockups (of the wholw thing) to BSODs.
ImageImage
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

Krom wrote:Open 5 windows of notepad and look in task manager.
It's not the same. Notepad is not nearly as complex an application as a browser is.
Krom wrote:You can also make windows explorer behave like this.
No, you can't. Windows Explorer can only separate the shell (Desktop and Taskbar) from the rest. If you open multiple explorer windows they're all the same process.
Krom wrote:Many applications even have options to allow multiple instances or not, firefox and IE could probably easily be made to function in the same manner. It really isn't anything special.
It's not easy at all. You would have to manage shared access to a lot of data as well as keep all instances updated. Chrome doesn't allow multiple instances, either.

There's only one instance of Chrome (all windows belong to it), but for every tab and every plugin, it creates a separate process to handle it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer
DWORD: DesktopProcess = 1

Separates the taskbar/startmenu from the desktop.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced
DWORD: SeparateProcess = 1

Will cause explorer.exe to launch a separate process for every folder that is open.

Running windows like that doesn't have any performance advantages because it takes more memory. That is the root reason why applications are designed to use threading inside a single process: in operation memory savings. Running each process separately in separate memory space is easier than making it threading aware and restricting it to a single instance, but ends up requiring identical redundant data for each running process so it uses more memory in the end.

The notepad example is exactly the same thing, as is running multiple descent 3 dedicated servers on one computer, or pretty much any other game dedicated server. If one crashes it has no effect on the others because each one is completely separate and running in separate memory space, but the overall demands on system resources are higher.

When the developers are writing the program, they decide how the program behaves with multiple windows/tabs, do you manage it all yourself and make it a single process, or do you do nothing and let windows handle it all as separate processes. All applications can function as separate processes, but it takes actual work to make it behave as multiple windows inside a single process like firefox/IE do.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Yep. Chrome is quite a memory hog. Plus the \"incognito\" function is useless, about a minute or two after start it starts hogging the HDD, slowing everything to a crawl. Would have been nice w/ an option to start Chrome in incognito mode be default tho.
ImageImage
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Google is evil. :evil:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Spidey wrote:Google is evil. :evil:
I don't know if that's entirely true, but I think Google is a company you have to watch out for. I don't treat them as a completely innocent organization.

Way I see it, Google's stock price has given them absurd amounts of money and they are throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. :lol:
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

Well, what I did find remarkable wasn't the ability to run multiple instances (which isn't there), but that one instance is multiple processes.

SeparateProcess was already 1 here. Looks like it doesn't work.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

This is just the Start

GooOS is around the bend first in mobile devices then eventually in Desktops and laptops

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

New version. HDD hogging seems to be gone on my system.
ImageImage
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

2 thumbs up for me. Super fast on my system and all plugins preinstalled.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

I noticed lag rendering Chrome when switching from other apps that covered it up, but I'm sure that's something that will be hammered out in Beta. I wish there were themes, or at least gradient choices, and I wish there was a Linux version, so I guess I'll wait a bit longer.

With relation to the OS idea, Google has had a proprietary in-house Linux distro of their own for quite a while, but they've never made it available to the public. I do see something like that happening as well, but they're apparently going to take it from a completely different direction and start with the Browser first, or so it seems. It could be possible that they're pushing for the thin-client model, so that the browser becomes your OS and almost all your apps are web-enabled except for games... but if they go that route, they've got a lot of work ahead of them and the result will require a lot of change from game developers.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I for one, have no intentions of ever using web based apps, except for the occasional calculator or such.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

And the dbb? :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Falls under “such”.