D3 Voice App Possible?

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

D3 Voice App Possible?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I'm not a programmer, but I was just wondering if it would be possible to develop some sort of program that could be integrated with Vortex or an outside application that would allow players to chat with each other in a similar manor to X-Box live? For instance, whoever is the host will open up a chat a server unless they tell the program not to and when each player connects, the program on the player's end will detect the game type. If it is something like anarchy, instareap, duel, or something similar where it is every man for himself, the game will open one room for any player to chat in. If it is team based, it will create a room for each team. Perhaps there could be some kind of toggle switch using some kind of keyboard macro so that the player can switch chat to whatever team they join?

Just dropping in some ideas. I'm not a programmer but I was thinking that allowing players to talk to each other would really open the game up!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

There's already Ventrilo and Teamspeak 2.

and if anyone it interested, I still have a copy of BattleCom. ;)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I'm aware of that Duper but there are only two people that use it and it HAS to be arranged.

It's not like you can just join any D3 server and chat with the other players for kicks and giggles. That's part of the reason I stick with XBox these days is simply communications. At least 1 person out of 4 usually uses a mic on XBox because the system is simple, you plug it in and you play. It's really difficult to get anyone to use a mic in D3 I've found, simply because they aren't aware of teamspeak or they just don't care. I'm talking about a built-in app that allows you to connect and talk to nearly any player in-game.

Not every player out there will know how to connect to an IP. One of the most common reasons that people dropped D3 when PXO died.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:I stick with XBox these days is simply communications.
Sounds like a plan see ya.... the rest of us will be on teamspeak
[]V[]essenjah wrote:One of the most common reasons that people like me dropped D3 when PXO died.
And here we all thought it was just you they didn't like.... all talk and no play

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Possible? Sure; we have access to a lot through the D3 SDK, and packing audio data into game packets is certainly possible.

With a lot of time, I could potentially do it myself.

That said, I don't have any real free time right now, and I already have other projects overdue.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

there IS a free TS2 server HERE.
If could be used for D3 as most that are on the D3IRC channels know about it.. but WON'T.

The problem isn't so much implementation M is that the idea is 6 years too late. :\\ Sure some will bite, but on the whole, most won't utilize it. (for one reason or another)

Personally, Live can go away. It has added little to general play out side of giving the veritable \"12 y/o\" to spew crap into everyone's ears that share their channel.

No thanks.

(my 2 cents)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

-Duper, I fully agree, I just figured I would drop the idea in the thinking bucket anyway. I will disagree with you about XBox live. Sure, you run into idiots that like to spew random annoying crap over the mic but you can disable that. I really don't have that issue much actually. Maybe you just aren't playing with the right group or have had a bad run? I've never really had that problem. I encounter very few 12 year old players and mostly play with a group of friends I grew up with. I've been to LAN parties before but playing Live is simply a lot more enjoyable with a good group of friends. Also, the guys I usually find on-line and play with are usually pretty cool and we stick to mostly social games. Not that we can't rank, we just don't bother with it much. We rank up, get bored with the system and just play for fun after a while and move on.

I don't play in geeky little clans much or with people that are just out for the glory. It is about me calling a friend up on my cell and saying, \"hey man, what you up to today? Wanna jump in a game in a few minutes?\" Then just jumping in and playing as a team with mics for a while. A joy I wish I could get out of D3.

I know Team Speak works but it isn't THAT user friendly. Like I mentioned before, half of the D3 players probably don't even understand how to connect via IP address.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:At least 1 person out of 4 usually uses a mic on XBox because the system is simple, you plug it in and you play.
And the other 3 people out of 4 would choose to mute them if they could. :roll:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:It's really difficult to get anyone to use a mic in D3 I've found
Most of the time I'm in CTF, at least a quarter of the people in the game are also on the RIP ventrilo server.

-----

My wife was playing in Team Fortress 2 one day, and some girl came on voice. She had to be about 14. "Hi, this is Lindsey. Any boys want to chat?" Nobody responds. A minute or two later, "how come no boys are chatting with me?" A guy's voice responds "too busy KILLIN' STUFF!" Catherine and I both busted up laughing.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

LOL :)

I don't know, I play Halo 3 and Battlefield: Bad Company and I rarely mute people unless they are a real arss. I guess it's also because my team of friends is probably the best group of guys I've ever gamed with. Every one of us can pull our weight in a game and we work well as a team. I personally have a really hard time trying to play any game, even single player without my friends being there with me. It just isn't the same. One of these friends, I also play Descent 3 and UT2004 with and it is always a blast. I remember a few months ago we were tag-teaming and someone started bitching at us about it. I was laughing my arss off. :)

I've always been more into tactics than I am into whoever can shoot the best anyway.

I never understood what it was about PC gamers mics'. I can never find a game where actual strategy and tactics come into play. Not even in UT or Battlefield games where it is all about tactics. Only place I can really find it, is over the XBox.

If it's cool, I might jump on with you guys over the RIP server sometime.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Kyouryuu wrote:And the other 3 people out of 4 would choose to mute them if they could. :roll:
They... can?
D.Cent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D.Cent »

Could anybody kick this guy and his posts please?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Been reported, waiting on Admin.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

You can rent a 10 person ventrilo server for about 35 bucks a year. I have one I use to chat with friends on while I'm gaming. Less than 3 bucks a month, and it works. :D