Pyro-GX Sighting

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Pyro-GX Sighting

Post by RUL- »

Hi everyone!
Check this video out that I just saw on youtube:

Tell me that's not a Pyro-GX? Are these people allowed to use that design? Either way, it's a pretty cool cinematic but it turns out the game, OGame, is a web-based game!? I thought you guys would get a kick out it.
Peace
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It's a fairly classic \"space fighter\" design, as is the Pyro. Didn't look like it was copied so much as that it used the same classic design ideas.

Don't know what to think of the game from only a trailer. Don't even know what sort of game it actually is.
RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RUL- »

ah okay ...
I guess it's just a really popular web-based game (over 2 million accounts) but someone makes these cool cinematics to get the users all riled up. Interplay should hire them to make Descent 4 vids :P

here's more on the game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGame
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It can certainly be put under the \"classic space fighter model\" category... but I have to say, that ship looks a whole lot more like the Descent Pyro than any other similar design I've seen.

The angle of the fins alone is something almost uniquely Descent.

Probably not enough to warrant an accusation of stealing copyrighted design... but that's about as close as I've seen in a non-Descent retail game.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

To run into copyright issues it actually has to be more or less identical, not just similar.
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

Wow, weird. I was just hearing about this game earlier today. (After never hearing about it before)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Pyro-GX Sighting

Post by Dakatsu »

RUL- wrote:Tell me that's not a Pyro-GX?
That's not a Pyro-GX :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

You call yourself a descenter? It's totally not a Pyro. the shape isn't quite right....and there's only one engine. It's semi-close, but not that close.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

OGame sounds a lot like a game I used to play on dial up BBS's in the mid-late 80's. The object was to buy, capture, or build as many planets as you could defend and build your fortune trading resources with other friendly planets. I forget the name of it but it was kind of a cool game.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

This video was in the related column of your vid:

Very cool. 8)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

JMEaT wrote:This video was in the related column of your vid:

Very cool. 8)
I think I recognized some of the ships in there... ;)
Nuketheborg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nuketheborg »

So if the videos are just made from other games or shows/movies, what is the footage from the first video really from?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

The name of the game I was thinking about is Trade Wars. Has anyone here played it? It was really kinda fun.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Dedman wrote:OGame sounds a lot like a game I used to play on dial up BBS's in the mid-late 80's. The object was to buy, capture, or build as many planets as you could defend and build your fortune trading resources with other friendly planets. I forget the name of it but it was kind of a cool game.
... Trade Wars. Has anyone here played it? It was really kinda fun.
Absolutely! :D

Loved that game, played it on my 1200-baud modem on my old 8086-based Tandy back in junior high. My younger brother and I would take turns playing our characters... until we got in trouble for being on the phone line too long, hehe.
RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RUL- »

snoopy wrote:
You call yourself a descenter? It's totally not a Pyro. the shape isn't quite right....and there's only one engine. It's semi-close, but not that close.
I haven't played in a while but I should've recognized that it had one engine instead of two. Also the lasers aren't in the right place and there seems to be some thing near the nose of the ship that's not on a pyro-gx. Still pretty close though.

I also wonder what that clip is from, cause now I don't think it was designed for OGame. Like some of those other videos for OGame they're taken from other games.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So.... apparently gathering from the other related trailers on that site... we are apparently fighting the reapers, the alliance, and the cylons in this game? ;)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Foil wrote:
Dedman wrote:OGame sounds a lot like a game I used to play on dial up BBS's in the mid-late 80's. The object was to buy, capture, or build as many planets as you could defend and build your fortune trading resources with other friendly planets. I forget the name of it but it was kind of a cool game.
... Trade Wars. Has anyone here played it? It was really kinda fun.
Absolutely! :D

Loved that game, played it on my 1200-baud modem on my old 8086-based Tandy back in junior high. My younger brother and I would take turns playing our characters... until we got in trouble for being on the phone line too long, hehe.
One of my coworkers, we'll call him Jim, told me how he used to play this game and got quite respected in that universe. In one of his stories, he had a vulnerable cargo vessel that some hotshot blew up and then bragged about in a chat room. The others were like, "oh, crap, you didn't blow up HIS ship, did you?" So Jim confronts the guy like, "you owe me 10,000 galactic credits." I guess he got them from him, too.

Another story involved a bug the game had that another dude was exploiting and really dragging down the experience for everyone else. They brought it to the op's attention and she offered to fix it, but Jim says, "Don't worry, we'll take care of it." He then helps organize this massive assault against the guy, just decimating his forces beyond what the bug could help him get, until he's finally confronted by Jim's interdictor, which I guess is a must-confront vessel. The op chimes in, "you're not welcome here anymore," shortly before Jim wastes him!

He also had another story of how he turned other people's scripts against them. Must have been a great experience, that game...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Oh, yeah... it was text-only, but the events in Trade Wars somehow seemed epic! :D
  • In-game encounters where both players used up massive numbers of fighters... and it always came down to the last few.
  • Feud with the guy next door in the universe... waking up and logging in, only to find out that he had successfully ransacked your home planet overnight... and planning your revenge.
  • The sense of success when finding that super-profitable trade run that no one else knew about... and the anguish when its resources ran dry.
  • Getting pinned by your younger brother when he discovered that you raided his home planet... oh, wait, maybe that was just me. :P
[Note: Maybe these \"Trade Wars Memories\" should be split from the original topic?]