Name that place...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Name that place...

Post by Will Robinson »

think of all the countries that you would like to live in that allow it's adult citizens to pursue their choice of:
*employment
*trade
*skill
*education
*religion or refusal thereof
*family/marital status
*travel freely within and out of the country

and it must be a country that doesn't govern or rule the citizens simply based on religious law, royal decree or by virtue of having control of military might.

Now, of all those on your list name the ones that you think will be able to survive the next 200 years maintaining their sovereignty and economy.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Australia
New Zealand
Japan
South Korea (probably with the north rolled in)
The EU (I know that's cheating on \"sovereignty\"
United States of America
Brazil
Argentina
Peru

Heck Will the list is extensive. Why would Europe tank now after 500 years. All of South and Central America should survive and maybe even prosper. The U.S. may not be as powerful as today but it will be there and a good place to live over all. I'm guessing that Canada will be part of it so it's not on the list.

What's the point of the question?
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Name that place...

Post by Dakatsu »

Will Robinson wrote:think of all the countries that you would like to live in that allow it's adult citizens to pursue their choice of:
*employment
*trade
*skill
*education
*religion or refusal thereof
*family/marital status
*travel freely within and out of the country

and it must be a country that doesn't govern or rule the citizens simply based on religious law, royal decree or by virtue of having control of military might.
I can't think of any country that does both the bold and the non-bold. I pretty well agree with Ford Perfect's list, by the way.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Wow, no one would want to live in Canada? WTF.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

When you consider an 8\" whiteout a \"dusting\", it's no wonder no one wants to live in Canada :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Hey, more snow falls in Northern US than where I live. Now there's no excuse. Time to move. :D
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Ford Prefect wrote:Heck Will the list is extensive. Why would Europe tank now after 500 years. All of South and Central America should survive and maybe even prosper. The U.S. may not be as powerful as today but it will be there and a good place to live over all. I'm guessing that Canada will be part of it so it's not on the list.

What's the point of the question?
No trick to the question, I was trying to think of where I'd go if I couldn't live here and realized there aren't nearly as many places as I thought there would be.
Obviously the criteria is subjective since the first requirement is "a country you'd like to live in" so there is no definitive answer.

My list boiled down to Canada (outside Quebec) and Australia, I'd add Finland to it but I don't see me learning to speak Finnish and my daughters probably would disown me if I tried to move them there.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

You would be welcome here in Canada but I suspect that eventually we will be in some kind of union with the U.S. So I'm not sure that would be such a change. Not in our lifetimes perhaps but maybe in that 200 year limit you gave.
My wife moved here from Seattle 24 years ago and wouldn't move back but then she married me so she must tollerate things Canadian unusually well. Don't discount New Zealand. The politica are a bit to the left even from Canada but climate and standard of living are very good. And the sheep are lovely.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers