I.T. knowledge catchup (get back in the loop) websites gimme

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

I.T. knowledge catchup (get back in the loop) websites gimme

Post by roid »

i've always wished there was a site that i could goto whenever i need to get rePLUGGED-IN to the cutting edge of the I.T. industry.

what i want is a site that just lists, catagorically, all of the incremental advancements in teh various fields/manufactures. and how they all compare, so you basically can see "where we are" at a glance.
videocards, displays, videocards, cpus, mobos, chipsets, everything I.T.

i often just slip outof the I.T. circle for ages (even years!) and something comes up where i need to quickly get plugged back in. see what i missed etc.

but of course i don't want to catch up on 12months of tech by reading 1000s (yeah prolly more, count up how much you read in a week, it's amazing) of news archives and reviews. there's never time for that.

when first researching and learning about I.T. with the internet as a tool, i kept one of those huge A2 size notebooks under my keyboard and jotted down all this kindof stuff down on my own, in an organized brainstorm form, visual aids, gotta love em. (damn i learnt so fast)

i've even considered making something like this myself but for ZZZ, as a timeline of research technologies and release dates.

so does anyone know of sites like this?

the only thing i've seen that comes close to what i'm talking about are these VGA roundups on tomshardware.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2 ... index.html VGA charts 1
http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2 ... index.html VGA charts 2
http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2 ... index.html buyer's guide
http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2 ... index.html VGA charts 3
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

ah jeez, don't post links to tomshardware here, lol...
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Theres nothing wrong with tomshardware.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

then give me a link :P
come on come on
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

Capm wrote:Theres nothing wrong with tomshardware.

haha, yeah, right...
u obviously haven't followed their review screw-ups.

Anyway, i don't know of any lists like that, i just ready about each individual thing separately, hehe :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I like Anandtech a lot. General rule for me is; if it is something big or intersting both THG and Anand will cover it. Read both of them and make a decision from there. Anand also tends to link to a lot of other smaller sites with intersting articles in the news. A good example of why you should read both would be the reviews on the NV40 at the moment, Anand used an Athlon 64 3400+ CPU, while THG used a P4 3.2, there are some noticible differences between the results even in the same games.
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

another vote for AT..

omg, me and Krom agree on something ;)
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

I like ole Shimpi's site too, as I like to call it. :P And add Sharky Extreme, often overlooked for some reason. They have Buyer's Guides for High-End, Extreme, and Value about every month; reviews for individual components such as procs/RAM/mobos are standard; and finally weekly price charts on procs and RAM...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

thx guys, but this isn't *really* what i'm looking for.

you guys understand how the sites you suggested are different to what i'm looking for right? sure there's a chance that sites like the one i am searching for just don't exist. but i just wanna be sure you guys arn't misunderstanding my request.

i'm almost looking for all hardware (possibly in particular fields), in one spot, on one page (this is an exaggeration, i'm seriously not that picky).
almost like a timeline, or a history at a glance.
can anyone appreciate what i'm looking for here?
i mean, if i found a site like this, i'd be posting all about it coz i imagine most ppl would find it VERY handy.... right?

i guess it's almost like those handy tables found in those Mueller's "Upgrading & Repairing PCs" ton-of-a-book.

but upto date, and possibly future speculative, you know: a website! :)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Anandtech, THG, Sharky's site, Hard OCP, slashdot.

read them in depth.

Don't expecting a quick catch-up by being lazy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i read them for years in the past.

surely there has to be a better way.
:inventiveface:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You cannot put "all hardware" into a single page, theres too much to go around. There is a reason these sites have reviews for cases, monitors, power, cooling, video cards, memory, motherboards, processors, hard drives, dvd burners, input devices, printers, etc. all seprate; theres too much relevant information to cram it on a single page and still get anything from it.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

www.xbitlabs.com

Their English leaves a bit to be desired, but they are right on the ball. These guys are usually the first to post extreme voltage mods for GFx cards - and have their finger of the pulse of what's happening.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i guess i'm looking for a database :(