Sending mp3's to your phone via text message?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Sending mp3's to your phone via text message?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey, just wondering how you can send mp3 files to your phone via text messaging? A friend of mine has a sister that sent music files to his phone and then he sent the same files to my phone but I'd like to edit my own.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

If it's Verizon, try sending an email to <your number here>@verizon.com (IIRC) w/ the mp3 as attachment. Worked for me w/ a few mp3 songs I wanted to use as ringtones.

Aee also here.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmmm... I'm using an Altell phone. It looks like they use a similar system but my tone wouldn't play for some reason. Wonder if there is anything particular in how I need to encode it? I used Goldwave with LAME as my encoder.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Does your phone have a micro SD slot?

I stuck a 2Gb card in my phone stuffed with mp3s from my computer.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I just picked up a USB cable for my Verizon phone, and use it with an app (called something like \"BitPIM\", I think) to transfer files over.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Last two suggestions usually won't work if you want to use the mp3's as ringtones tho. On my phone only mp3's that come in via SMS/email can be used as ringtones. Protects the ppl selling them :roll:
ImageImage
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Actually Gren, the phone created folders for music, tones, videos, and pictures. I upload a snippet of a song file to the tones folder and viola it's available for a ring tone.

When I was using ATT, I emailed my gmail account and then used that message as a reference to be able to send ringtones to my phone.

Or you could just create an account at http://www.phonezoo.com and make and send your ringtones through them. It's free and effective.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hehe, my phone is a PITA w/ regards to ringtones, they must be stored in its built-in memory and it won't allow to copy mp3s from the card..
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Grendel wrote:Last two suggestions usually won't work if you want to use the mp3's as ringtones tho. On my phone only mp3's that come in via SMS/email can be used as ringtones. Protects the ppl selling them :roll:
Actually, I've had no problems whatsoever importing MP3s (pulled from CDs I own) via the USB cable and BitPIM app, and using them as ringtones. I let BitPIM convert them to the correct sample rate, and they work fine on my phone (LG VX5400).
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkShadow »

Grendel wrote:If it's Verizon, try sending an email to <your number here>@verizon.com (IIRC) w/ the mp3 as attachment. Worked for me w/ a few mp3 songs I wanted to use as ringtones.

Aee also here.
For ring tones on my Verizon phone vx9900 you email them to (yournumber)@vzwpix.com after you create an account at vzwpix.com.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Nope, no SD slot. My phone uses a very specific power cable. It can function as a usb port but isn't shaped like one. I have a conversion cable but I couldn't ever get it read my phone.